Various painted robots & more

Finished another Supermutant. There aren’t enough cyborg characters in Fallout, so I decided to give this guy some robotic bits, akin to Lou Tenant.

I’m really pleased with how this one’s face turned out. I think the big goofy anime eyes mine keep winding up having adds a lot of character and personality to them.

Close-up of the pipe pistol.

I keep wanting to order more and more stuff, but I already have nine models currently waiting to be painted (the rest of the SM core box, the Hammer box, and the Paladin Danse box). It pains me that I’m making myself finish these before buying any more, but I suppose there’s no other way to prevent my backlog from growing any larger.

5 Likes

Lookign good! :slight_smile: I just avoid painting eyes wherever I can get away with it, so I appluad anyone who can do it! :+1:

1 Like

I like the painted cyborg components, really neat idea!
I know what you mean about having a backlog though, it’s worth working through them before you buy more! I used to end up with piles of sprues that I had no motivation to work on as I wanted to start on the latest shiny kit I’d bought…

1 Like

Nice, makes me think of Kano from the Mortal Kombat games, . . .

2 Likes

“Just don’t stare at the Nightkin. They don’t like people looking at them.”

I’ve been looking forward to painting a Nightkin since I got the SM core box. It’s something I haven’t seen done yet, and I figured it would be pretty fun to try to play a Nightkin unit using the Stealth Boy card at some point. I also figured that since all the supermutants in FO1 & 2 were armed with heavy weaponry, I should use the ‘Hammer’ model for my Nightkin. The ponytail piece I stole from a WH40k Ork boy.

His missile launcher in particular was fun to paint little markings onto. I took inspiration with the coloring from the ‘More Uniques’ mod for Fallout 4, which has a special missile launcher named “Pride of the East”. His hammer also has white Xs on either side, just to make it a bit more unique.

My current SM force. I think I’ll do the shirtless, board and moltov-wielding model next, and after that the two remaining mutant hounds I have. Then I’ll take a break from muties and paint some of the BoS minis I got myself for my birthday.

Oh, and I bought a Black Site Studios vault kit, which I’ll post full pictures of once I get the last room built for it .-.

7 Likes

New supermutants. I’ve been slightly busier than I’d like and I haven’t gotten around to painting as much, considering it’s been about a month since I last posted.

First up, a skirmisher. Not much to say about this guy. I used citadel red contrast paint over a metallic base for the barrel he’s standing over.

And here’s the supermutant brute. This guy was fun to paint. Not a big fan of sledgehammers, so I did my best to try to replace it with a bumper sword made from greenstuff. I also tried to add some blood stains to the helmet and the blade, but the flicking method to get extra stains they showed in the citadel blood paint tutorial didn’t work really well. I think it turned out alright despite that.

My current lineup of painted SM models. I think I’ll do a couple mutant hounds next, then take a break and do some raiders.

3 Likes

I like the sculpted bumper sword, nice work!
What do you think of citadel’s contrast paints? Budget limits mean I’ve been hesitant to pick any up, but I’ve heard some good things about them

They’re pretty fun to use, and I hear you can get some nice effects with some of them, but I haven’t gotten to use them much myself. I might try painting my PVC deathclaw with them once I’ve practiced more, and figure out which colors to use for it. I plan to use one of their lighter brown shades to do mutant dog fur, which hopefully won’t look too shabby.

Ah cool, post pictures when it’s done! :slight_smile:

Took a slight detour and painted up some of these blank bases I got in the mail yesterday.

4 Likes

Did I see you mention over on the discord that you used a thin wash on the models? Something to bring out a little bit of detail?

Yeah, I used some citadel blue and black washes thinned out with their medium to make them a bit darker and less blue than the unpainted plastic. I don’t remember the exact ratio though.

2 Likes

Hey what’s up people, it’s ya boi back at it again with a disappointing amount of progress over the course of the last month. Fall quarter started last monday, so I have no idea how I’m going to push myself to paint more going forward.

To kick things off, here’s a vending machine I ordered from Black Site Studios, as well as some misc. bits I painted in my spare time:

I ordered a couple sprues of weapons from Anvil Industries, since I never really quite liked the excessive amount of pipe weapons in Fo4. I figured I might try to add some variety to my miniatures. the AK next to the wall console there above is supposed to be a Chinese Assault Rifle, though after applying rust and grime paints, it might be a bit hard to tell. The spare T-60 arm was a mis-mold I got in my BoS knight patrol squad box, which I figured would make a nice scenery detail bit as a rusted old arm.

And here is the raider which I’ve managed to drag working on throughout the entire month, even though I’ve had nothing to do all month.

This raider here has been modified to be wielding the Klobb from Goldeneye 64. It was an opportunity I just couldn’t pass up after seeing the SMG sprue Anvil Industries sells. The colorscheme for the harness was inspired by a retexture done by one of my many countless Fo4 mods. I thought the yellow safety harness and navy work pants made a nice combination, myself. The face isn’t the best I’ve ever done, but I think I’ll just blame it on the crooked angle his head is facing.

I have a couple of ideas for what to do next. I’ve modded this here raider girl to have a silenced MAC-11, and I’m planning on painting her armor up as the Shi armor skin from the Fo4 Creation Club stuff.

The X-01 next to her I plan to do as the prototype paintjob from Fo76, and I’ve got something particularly special in mind for my Raider Power Armor mini, and a deathclaw, if I can get my hands on one. Whether or not I’ll be able to get to any of this before the Enclave wave gets released is another story entirely.

3 Likes

And while I’m here, I figure I might as well dump some pics of my Black Site Studios vault, since I don’t think I’ve done that yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Hot on the trail of a Brotherhood recon team, a mob of supermutants attempts to bash their way into an abandoned military storage vault, hidden deep in the mountains of Wyoming

A lone raider and his faithful dog companion, not being the only ones after the secrets of this vault, tries everything he can to keep this door shut

Elsewhere, the recon team attempts to locate the storeroom through hacking into the security room’s terminal

The lone knight posted outside feels a presence watching him

Another soldier on patrol realizes the vault’s security systems have kicked in

Two Protectrons have been dispatched to take care of any intruders

Within the storeroom, a Ms. Nanny attendant idly stands by…

…watching over the true prize, three fully functional Assaultron units!

I believe this was $200 well spent. Doesn’t feel like a full vault you would encounter in one of the games though, more like half of one.

Still fun to play around in though. My adult dollhouse is awesome and nobody can tell me otherwise!

6 Likes

Very nice! Love it. I’ve been struggling with this myself. More and more I catch myself checking out the that same vault set. I’m beginning to think it’s not a case of “if” but rather “when” will I get it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like you have their bug bundle along with the vault door?

Those are looking really good! The text on the monitor is a nice touch, and the rusted arm could be used to represent valuable look/be the object of a quest.

I think the weapon on the raider is supposed to be a Škorpion, but I haven’t played Goldeneye so it may be they’re the same :slight_smile:

I look forward to seeing the Fo76 paintjob! I haven’t played that either, but I’m always excited to see people trying the range of colour schemes for power amour.

c r i s p y

5 Likes

Love the glowy ghoul! Is it just me, or is the detail on the ghoul bases a bit SHRUNKEN in scale? (I mean, that’s one awfully tiny radioactive waste drum, at the very least, and even the cinder blocks look to be on the small side. Obviously no fault of the PAINTER, but it’s just a random thing I noticed when I started painting.)

I’ve noticed a few inconsistencies between bases and official terrain. The terminal on one of the raider bases is smaller than the one in the terminals expansion pack, and the nuka cola bottle on the sole survivors base is smaller than the ones on the radioactive barrels. In those cases though it was the bases that were scaled correctly, and the terrain packs that had been made a larger size (apparently something commonly done with miniatures terrain, but still a little frustrating to nitpickers like me :stuck_out_tongue: ). In this case it definitely looks like that barrel is too small though

Yeah, the scaling on some of the base details are all over the place. Caps on one base will be like 3x the size of loose caps on another, ect. Nuka-Cola bottles especially. These I don’t really have much of a problem with, but the automatic laser rifle the X-01 model is holding being at least twice as big as the auto laser rifle the crouching T-60 model has is really bugging me.

3 Likes