Various painted robots & more

The weathering on the eyebot and its base look really good!

1 Like

Here’s a Dogmeat I tried to paint as the one from FO3:

I think my favorite part about this model is the Synth corpse molded into the base:
IMG_1951
Well now I’m out of minis, so I have to do Curie next
IMG_1757

5 Likes

Re: Dogmeat: Cool! I think I might have overlooked (and hence, run the risk of simply over-painting) the crushed synth if it hadn’t been pointed out.

2 Likes

WIP Curie

The ‘glass’ effect for the eyes is done with Tamiya clear paint, specifically the “Smoke” color, painted over darker grey shutters, and a black center.

White paint sucks, avoid using it at all costs. Since the pigments make it too chunky, you have to paint a light grey base coat, and very thin layers of white on top of it. and good luck cleaning up spillage lmao.

6 Likes

White paint can be a pain, but I really like that glass effect on the eyes! I usually use a small spot of clear varnish for that sort of thing, didn’t know you could get clear paints specifically

1 Like

Finished Curie. This would probably have been a lot more fun to paint if I had done a simple Mr. Gutsy paintjob, but then how could I dare call myself a Curie fan?

I dig the Mr. Handy fuel in the base. It’s hard to tell, but I tried to write “Mr H” on the label there.

That’s it for my “Heroes of Sanctuary Hills” kit. This wave has a serious lack of available Mr. Handies, something that should definitely be rectified with a 3-pack of them in a future wave. Maybe by using the wonky extended eyestalk animations from 3/NV as alternate poses, as well as the plasma gun hand you sometimes see on the Mr. Gutsys.

I’ve ordered the supermutant core box to paint next. I plan to paint the melee-armed ones as Nightkin, so that should be fun.

8 Likes

I’m very fond of Curie, love seeing that you did yours up that way, she looks great.

2 Likes

Super mutant no.1

6 Likes

I like the detail on the face! It’s always tricky trying to get eyes in particular to come out, you’ve done it well :smiley:

For the skin, would it be worth doing an extra layer of the original green on the raised areas after you’ve done the wash? I’ve found that can sometimes be a good way to really show off the musculature, especially if you focus it on the areas that would mostly be in the light (ie, tops of the shoulders and chest, arms, etc) :slight_smile:

1 Like

It might be, but I’m much too lazy for that. Besides, the supermutant skin texture in New Vegas is like really quite matte, and I kinda wanted to do mine up like that.
IMG_2093
he’s comin’ for them beans

5 Likes

Nice! I love the dynamic pose of this model in particular – but, on a tangent, I’m wondering: Have you by any chance figured out what that “fender” or “giant bumper” or “trim” piece he’s charging over might be supposed to represent? I’ve been puzzling over how to paint it. (And I’ve gotten enough Super Mutants that I’ve had to paint this at least three times now, but I’ve not been terribly satisfied with my painting of it so far.)

I assume it’s some kinda piece of signage, like off of Starlight Drive-In or something. I just painted it all rusty, and gave it some faded dark blue.

5 Likes

Thanks for the closeup! Incidentally, I’m curious how you get some of the color effects. The blue portions seem to have an almost translucent effect. Is it all paints, or are you using any kind of inks or washes for this? I really like the rusty metal effects. Mostly I’ve been blotching “rust” with a frayed brush, but I don’t really get such fine detail as is appropriate at this scale.

The blue on the sign was simply done with some watered-down regular ol’ dark blue paint. The rust I do with some of the Citadel metallic paints. It goes Screaming Bell > Brass Scorpion > Leadbelcher, all of which are slightly watered down as well.

Here’s the ‘Super Mutant Master’ from the core box.

When I do them, faces are always a complete accident, no matter if they’re good or bad. My only goal is to paint the eyes on, and hope they don’t look terrible. Through some stroke of luck, this one turned out really good.

I decided this mutie would be better off with a blade instead of another hammer, so I took advantage of the spare weapon sprues and swapped his weapon out with a board painted gunmetal, which I filed down a bit to give it a sharper edge and a point. I never really liked the board weapons, and I think some mod I have for FO4 changes their texture to metal, and renames them to “truss blades”, which I thought I might mimic.

I recieved my copy of the starter kit yesterday, so next up I plan to paint the Zetan before I continue on with all my Super Mutants.

2 Likes

He’s looking good, I always avoid painting eyes… or faces in general so I’m always impressed whenever anyone does it :smile:

1 Like

ayy lmao
IMG_2128 IMG_2135 IMG_2130

PVC sucks, this mini would be much better if it was resin.

5 Likes

Even it is PVC you put a decent paint job on it :ok_hand: Realy like the dot-detail on his head! :alien:

2 Likes

Mutant hound. I wish these didn’t replace the Centaurs in 4+. Their overall design is just so bland. I hope I at least did a good enough job of making this one look kinda scary.

4 Likes

That’s one nasty-looking hound! :smiley:

Yeah, I kind of “miss” the centaurs. I hope minis for them show up eventually in F:WW. I suppose the rationale would be that the original centaurs were sort of a “semi-successful accident” of rather haphazard use of the FEV (just dip creatures in and see what survives), whereas the implication is that the Institute was trying to replicate the super mutant “formula” in its own experiments (and hence skipped over that whole “centaur” mess). Not that I’m really clear about just WHY they’d churn out so many super mutants, vs. just sending out more synths.

Of course, the meta-reason would just be, “Gee, it’s Fallout, so we simply HAVE to have super mutants aplenty to shoot at!” So, invent a new pre-war military experiment in the Capital Wasteland that just happens to duplicate what happened on the west coast, and then get the Institute in on the game as well. I figure if we ever had “Fallout: Tranquility Base” with action on the moon, they’d find some excuse for super mutants in space, too. The centaurs just weren’t “iconic” enough to be worth the trouble, I guess; I mean, their overall look changed pretty radically from FO1 to how they appeared in FO3 & FNV. They used to be downright silly. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think I found centaurs to be a bit too unsettling for me personally, but each to their own of course :slight_smile: I like the way you’ve painted the hound!

1 Like