My WiP painting and modeling post

yhea the guy with the board and molotov is from the mutant core set and the sledgehammer guy is from the starter set

Stumbled across these for neon effects:

Looks like it’s intended for use with black light primarily though.

And actually, a friend just linked this one to me, and it looks like it’s got some promise:

The blue effect looks like it would be a perfect fit for Nuka Cola Quantum. If so, it may make a good addition to some terrain pieces (The bottles with bigger pieces) or even do some Nukalurks.

they do look good ive got a pot of the LIT pigment but havnt had chance to use it i have been fairly busy these last few days

I really like that skintone! I painted my Brother Vinni Super Mutants with more of a radioactive glow
I can’t wait to get my hands on that kickstarter package.

Sorry for the lack of updates been swamped with work recently but on the plus side it has given me plenty of time to tinker about in fusion 360 while there and i am nearly done on a 3d printable terrain set for making your own vault city/adobe type structures seen in fallout 1/2

1 Like

Again I apologizes for the lack of updates but I have just uploaded an early work in progress of my vault city from fallout 2 terrain kit to thingiverse Vault City still needs a lot of work to polish it up but the basics are there to make buildings of your own design as Ive tried to make it as modular as possible i aim to add damaged versions of the uploaded parts and some more primitive versions to make places like shady sands from fallout 1, here are a couple preview renders from fusion 360 while i wait for my first prototype to finish printing.

more parts can be seen on the thingiverse link above once my parts print for the first test parts il upload them before painting and finishing

Another update with some of the new terrain parts

first a couple pictures of the prototype parts for the vault city buildings

to round of this building as seen in the pictures in the previous post is the roof and a final quarter

these can be printed in a variety of outer corner parts to make simple square buildings, there are also a selection of inner corner parts to make more complex shapes such as L shaped buildings, side parts to extend these shapes, and walls and corner pieces to make your own shapes and mixes of wall panels that i haven’t included by default

also got a start on a shanty building found on thingiverse

if the weather allows it i will be priming these tomorrow along with a few more muties and get to painting a few up the next few days

2 Likes

That is some really amazing stuff. You’ve got me thinking I need to sit some money aside for a 3D printer, . . .

1 Like

they can be worth the investment but depending on what you get they can be maintenance heavy and at times infuriating but as a plus side if you trust leaving it on while you are away they are good at letting you feel like your making progress in the hobby while working, socializing and spending time with the family also be prepared for requests for various things from friends and family for various trinkets and knickknacks, if its somthing you are interested in i would highly recommend plenty of research prior to committing to avoid any potential pitfalls.

Nice thing about something like that, the reason I want a 3D printer is because I work at home and I can use it for a couple of things related to that. I can say it’s for work, and no one’s going to ask for much. :stuck_out_tongue: I even get to write it off as a business expense.

If I get one, it would be a good one, and I’d be sure to do a little homework before picking one up. :wink:

I used the same reasoning of its for work it will help with prototyping my designs with the other half, I still got some raised eyebrows tho

I’ll just handle it the same way I do the regular printer, “You buy me an ink cartridge, here’s the number, and I’ll print anything you like.” Since making that arrangement, I have lots fewer requests, and a lot more ink. :stuck_out_tongue:

ha i think we have a very similar mindset made almost the same deal with the 3d printer along the lines of if you want something printing thats fine buy the filament you want to use and i keep the remainder, little things for my younger nephews il just print it for them but they normally just want something small from the current flavor of the month game/movie/TV show.

1 Like

I agree whole heartedly with this post. Mines sat in a box waiting for me to have time to do a major overhaul on it. 3d printing fluctuates between the sublime and frustrating!

I’ll be downloading your stuff. , I wonder it you could thicken the vault city stuff a bit. I apprixqt that does helps with print times

yhea it still needs work for example the corner pillers need removing and included into the roof portions i was hoping they would act as registration keys for roof as personally i intend for them to have interiors that can be used, but for the scale the rounded corners dont print to well for the main walls they are 3mm thinkness/ with 2mm on the exterior lip and i think 1mm for the interior lip, but not certain on the exact measurements without going back into fusion 360, what dimensions do you think would work better

Edit: i was off slightly on the scaling from memory here is a pic of the scaling with some guide lines on the side based of measuring nora and a supermutant from the bottom of their bases to the top of the head

this is without the floor or roof attached of course

a small update on the prototype print fully assembled similar to how i mentioned about i found that using the corner parts of the roof as keys to make it easier on placing the roofs on but it just makes it tricker to place it on and off, it could well work if you wanted it to be a set piece with no interior but my personal plans for it i prefer having an interior to them so i have some good places to use the resin terminals and crates from the Starter Scenic Set

1 Like

Looking great.

Are you planning to expand into other stuff too, you’re doing Vault City huts right now, but it looks to me like this would translate into modular Vault or even junk buildings as well.

For me personally, I’d be inclined to not even print the roofs unless I was going to place a second story. Having it open makes moving things around much easier during play unless you have reason to conceal that’s within or you want to use the roof for something.

my thinking is that if people want to move on top of the buildings to gain a vantage point for there ranged units i intend to add bits of cover on top of them such as aircon units/antennas/satellite dishes/signs and other bits of Greeble to give buildings a bit more character, initially i will expand it with more damaged and wear on them for even more variety, then possible do some more primitive versions like those seen in shady sands in fallout 1, for shanty type stuff there are some good stuff already on thingiverse, i might go for a vault type design if i do go that way il try and make it using the open lock system that way it can be broken down and put back together in multiple ways

1 Like