GateKeeper's Models and Terrain

This is way down the thread but those pinball machines do look nice and I agree about the consoles. Glad you bought them though?

For the pinball machines, absolutely. What I paid for the whole set, I figure the pinball machines were probably worth that. The consoles, . . . . well, the consoles will make ok scatter terrain.

1 Like

Got a couple more images for all of you today.

First off, remember those wooden bases that came with the Afterglow models I ordered a while back? Finally found a good use for them. They’re almost perfectly sized to slide a base into on it’s side, holds models while the glue dries. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now for something that’s actually going to interest you guys. I just finished assembling the last of my Super Mutants (Three Mutant Hounds assembled (Two of those are starter set models, only one I actually had to put together.) with eight more to go, but I don’t really care much for those so they aren’t much of a priority at the moment.). Got everything in one image to show off to all of you. Hope you like them.

2 Likes

danm that would make the master proud seeing a muttie force like that

1 Like

Aaannnndddd, it looks like I cut off two most of two suiciders at the front. 35 Super Mutants (I plan to paint the three Aviators differently and use two of them as regular Super Mutants.), 2 Behemoths, and once I finish assembling them I’ll have 11 Mutant Hounds.

I’ll get some better pictures once the Hounds are built to show everything together.

Also been working on the Creatures and Survivors a bit, but I’ll wait to show those off until I get more of them built.

Thanks! I’ve always liked playing larger games. Before the kids came along, my wife and me would play games that spanned +8 hours regularly. I’m thinking this won’t be any different. :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah used to enjoy the absurdly large games of apocalypse don’t know if i have the time to sink 8 hours into a single game anymore lol

1 Like

The exciting thing about my situation is that my kids are starting to take an interest in this kind of stuff and are getting pretty good at reading. That means I hope to have them playing these kinds of games with me soon.

On a side note, they enjoyed painting the models I gave them the other day, so I’m going to pick up a bunch of little green army men and similar from the local dollar store. Let them paint those while they learn the basics, then when they get better at it I can start giving them better models to work with. :wink:

yhea the green army men are a good idea for some early practice to get them used to painting without investing to much

1 Like

The local dollar store has 50 packs of army men, mummies, police officers, and firemen. And it’s not uncommon for something else to pop up from time to time. I was just telling my wife a little bit ago that we should just pick up a bag of each for them. Four or five bucks and they’ve got a couple hundred models to paint.

Got my Minutemen assembled this evening. Preston, Ronnie, and a dozen good men and women of the Minutemen. And Mama Murphy and Sturgis.

Enjoy!

And with that posted, the next three days are going to be busy I don’t expect to have much if anything to show for the next few days.

1 Like

Spent a few minutes last night and a few minutes tonight working on models. Got the last of my Robots built. The Sentry Bots and Eyebots I had built previously, so all I really did the last couple of days was the other three robot types.

Four Sentry Bots, Nine Assaultrons (Haven’t understood why they felt the need for three sculpts of that one right out of the gate. They aren’t THAT common in the game. But it is what it is.), Eight Protectrons. Six Mr Handy models (Two of them are Codsworth, but they use the same base (Would have liked to see a unique base for him, may try to think up something to make him stand out but not sure what it will be yet.), and Five Eyebots, one of which I plan to paint up as ED-E when the time comes.

Hope you all enjoy!

What this leaves me to build:
-Three more Deathclaws (Also missing six Ferals I messaged support about.)
-Eight Mutant Hounds.
-About a dozen Survivors.
-All of my Brotherhood of Steel stuff.

Next up is likely going to be the Deathclaws so I can get a shot of all the “Creatures” followed by the Brotherhood.

2 Likes

looking cool personally i wish they used the clear stand on the mr handies like the did with the eyebots

I agree, but if you look at how they did the fire effect under the model, I think the decision was likely made because they were thinking about base strength. All the same, I debated on hitting up the hobby store and making the change myself but ultimately opted to be lazy and just do it the way they were presented. :wink:

All that took you a matter of minutes? How much prep work do you do on the models? I find that after I remove from sprue, clean mold lines, wash in soapy water, dry, and then glue the models, it takes me hours to prep even half that many models. I’ve had the game for two weeks and all I have assembled so far are two Radscorpions and two Protectrons. :frowning:

I do the cleaning when they come out of the boxes. So that happened in the couple of days after I received my order. After that, it was just a case of trimming everything from the sprue and put everything together. So that “Couple of minutes” was probably an hour or so, and almost all the ground work was done before hand. Also, the Eyebots required almost no work, just glue the stem to the base and the eyebot to the stem and you’re done.

I kind of treat my building like a production line. I’ll cut all my pieces and lay everything out so I know where everything goes, then I’ll go through and glue one piece to each item down the line (I’ll build between 5-20 models at a time, depending on what they are.), then by then the first model is usually dry enough I don’t need to worry about knocking things loose and I’ll go through to add a second piece, etc, until complete.

I built my radscorpions just the other night, wow those were easy to build! Three pieces, the leg pieces slipped right in place and held quickly with a little glue, and the tail was a perfect fit, nearly snapping in place.

On the other hand, those Protectrons were a real pain to get the arms to stay in place. Hard to hold those bent little pieces in place long enough for the glue to take hold. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t feel bad about your building pace. Everyone works at their own pace, and more importantly some of us have more time for these kinds of things than other people do. For me, I’m self employed and almost never take “me time” so the last couple of weeks has almost been like a mini vacation for me. :laughing:

I really wish there where more protections myself rather than Assultrons. They always seemed like the flagship robot. Still loving seeing the mass amounts of minis, hope to see what it all looks like painted.

2 Likes

I’d like to see them do specialty versions of the Protectrons, the fire, police, construction, medical, and other versions. And a Mr Gutsy, . . . .

Thanks, I’m glad you’re enjoying it so far. I’m having fun building them and am pretty excited about getting to actually play the game. I told my wife earlier today that I’ll be playing a couple of games next week to learn the rules, then she’s going to be joining me for a couple of games before we try to get the kids into it.

As for the painting, I expect that to progress a lot slower than the assembly process. :wink:

Actually picked up my kids their own paints today, so much of my painting will probably come while they’re doing their own painting.

I don’t feel bad about my building pace. I think I just spend a lot more time trying to perfectly trim every mold line than most folks. Cutting off the sprue, washing, and gluing are fairly quick. It’s the trimming, scraping, shaping, and applying green stuff that is so time consuming.

I tried to save myself the time when I was working on miniatures for the Runewars mass battle game, but I just couldn’t stand it. After I primed and applied zenithal highlights, the mold lines just bothered me way too much and I realized I was going to be spending hours upon hours cleaning them up. Boooooo!

Trimming the model probably takes almost half the amount of time the actual paint job does.

Fair enough, but putting in all that extra time and effort, I’m sure the end result is well worth it.