GateKeeper's Models and Terrain

Order arrived.

To start off, I thought the packing was alright, had three different types of pacing, so it looked a bit like they were simply throwing in anything they had to protect everything. All said and done though, it was a nice tight package so there wan’t much banged around.

The bottlecaps packaging took the worst of the banging around, one was in prestine condition, the rest were crunched up a bit. On the up side, I only planned to keep one unopened package and the rest I was just opening anyway.

1 Like

I’ve got a bunch more terrain images to share too, but I’m pretty excited about everything I got so I’m going to post some of that along with my first impressions here:

Lets start with our Corvega. I ordered three of the scenic starter sets as well as an individual one (Friend gets two of them, leaving five for me.) Two of the scenic starters are on back order but I wanted to share some images and my thoughts on this one:

The model looks beautiful when it’s all together. I was a bit surprised when I pulled the bottom off (It’s not attached, just comes right off.) The detail on the bottom didn’t look convincing to me, I’d have rather they done the bottom frame like what you see within the game instead. Not only would that have saved them some material, but it also would have allowed us to play it in different ways on the table. Even so, it’s going to look great on the table.

Now, to show it beside the truck I’ve shown previously:

2 Likes

In spite of some people having issues with their dice, I checked all of mine over and they looked good. (Two sets worth are going to a friend.)

A lot of people have been mentioning troubles with bent miniatures. I had five starter sets (Three of them looked like this:

Among the other two boxes, I had four miniatures that showed signs of damage. The ones on the outside are really minor, should be able to fix them with very little effort using the hot water method. The two middle ones concern me though. Neither show the damage well in the image, but Dogmeat shows some fairly significant stress marks on the rear leg that’s attached to the base, and the settler actually has stress cracks in the plastic.

The other thing I ran into that wasn’t quite right was the Wasteland Creature Core Boxes, both were short three Radroaches and three Feral Ghouls. I admit, I don’t really care much about the radroaches beyond the fact that they were supposed to be six per box and there were only three (Was actually planning to keep ten, give a a set of six to my friend who’s getting into the game, and give the last two to my kids. So I have more now than I plan to keep anyway.) but the Ghouls is something I actually was looking forward to having all of them.

The quantities that were supposed to come with the Vault Tech Complete Bundle in blisters were the correct quantities.

And before anyone mentions that I should reach out to customer support, I already sent them the same pictures with an explanation as to what is damaged and what is missing. Just waiting to hear back from them (And being the weekend, I figure that may not happen until next week.)

4 Likes

There’s been a lot of talk about the difference in quality between the starter set items and the resins as well.

I thought that these images captured the detail very well. If you look, the green one (Starter box version) you can see that some of the detail is just a little shallower, but overall I thought the detail was really good. I think the detail difference was most obvious on the belly, but even there it looked pretty good.

Only other thing I can complain about is the card quality. Good enough to be usable without trouble, cheap enough that you’re not going to feel dirty adding printed ones to what you already have if it comes to that.

Now, don’t get me wrong with all of this, I’m pointing out some of the issues and observations I’ve had as I’m going through and opening everything. Other than the two crushed miniatures and the missing items from the Creature box, I’m absolutely overjoyed with what I got. The models look great and I’m having a lot of fun looking things over. Already punched all the tokens from two box sets for myself, started building a Deathclaw (As much to show the differences as anything else), and have all of my Eyebots built already. Working on sorting all the cards right now even.

2 Likes

Thanks for showing the Corvega…looks great and can’t wait to start seeing how people model and paint them up!
Would be cool to see a car dealership with a couple Corvegas on the forecourt! (Future project maybe?!)

My plan with them is to paint up two where they look like they’re rotting out, two that are fairly heavily rusted out, then do the fifth one pristine. Not sure what I’ll use the clean one for yet, but I’ll come up with something. :stuck_out_tongue:

So much stuff. Loving seeing it all out together. Are you pretty happy with the quality of the terrain pieces in general? I’ve been considering picking some up and would like to see more picture of those when you get a moment?

You saw my complaint about the Corvega Sedan? It’s intended to be presented as a single piece so I’m convinced they only did the two part aspect of it for the sake of saving some material.

My first thoughts on the terrain stuff is that they seem to be a lot more solid than the character counterparts. I figure that’s mostly because character models have smaller bits while the terrain stuff is mostly solid. The detail work on all of them is really nice.

The Corvega I talked about earlier. It’s nice so long as you display it as a single piece.

The Radioactive barrels are nice and seem to be completely solid. There’s a bit of a stem on the bottom of one but that should be really easy to clean up.

The desk comes in three pieces. I fully expected it to be a single piece. This actually opens up additional ways it can be used when I have a couple more. Leave a leg off of one and it will look like a broken desk. Computers all looked great and actually had finer detail than I was expecting (Seriously, look at the keyboard on the one in the picture.)

The Nuka Cola machines are solid, but the pieces that go on the back are a little flimsy though. Granted, they’re fine so long as they’re in place.

Vault Tec Crates are great. Single solid piece with great detail.

Consoles look good. Not sure what I think of needing to put the detail pieces on myself, but it DOES give more control of how they appear.

Hope the pictures help!

6 Likes

They do help thank you very much GateKeeper! I did see the message about the car, but there have been so little pictures of the terrain and Turrets in general. Thanks again for the pics.

1 Like

Glad I could be of service then!

Ironically, just putting a couple of turrets together right now. :wink:

I’ve got the models from the four starters that are mine, plus an extra Deathclaw, the Radroaches (Just had to trim the stub from those), the Eyebots, Nuka Girl, .six of my Fearal Ghouls, one Behemoth, and two of the Machinegun Turrets ready to play with as soon as the last couple of items on that list finish drying. Also have two Sentry Bots that I just need to get arms onto.

On a side note, spent a couple of hours working on miniature pricing in an effort to come up with a formula for creating customs. Got something that seems to be working for about 3/4 of the models but the rest of them are a ways off, so I’m obviously missing something. The hardest part has been pricing the creature attacks that have no cost while balancing the rest of the figure cost.

I’ll be watching this thread closely. My stuff should all be arriving be the end of next week. I will be buying a Dinogas station ASAP.

1 Like

They just released a ruined version of the Dinogas as well. I can honestly say that the Dinogas station I got is my favorite terrain building from TTCombat that I have.

Been working on building some models today, largely starting with the simpler ones just so I have things to put on the table when I get around to playing.

This is what I have to show for today, plus a Nuka Girl that isn’t pictured (She’s a one piece model, just needed to attach her to the base.)

EDIT: Actually I am wrong about the Nuka Girl, she’s in the case the models are sitting on, just below the deathclaw that’s by itself.

1 Like

Also, since the turrets came up earlier:

One important thing to note with these is that the bases actually matter. The little holes will line up for either unit, but the laser turrets have a piece that goes under the main tripod and on the rockier base I had trouble getting it to set perfectly flat. I’d decided to try swapping them out in order to create a bit of variation in appearance and needed to shave the middle of the base just a little to get it to sit flat.

1 Like

Have two of my four Sentry Bots built at well.

One interesting thing of note with these was that they had three arms to choose from. I went with one of each on both of these, but actually plan to do the other two with two of the same style each to make them a little easier to tell apart during play.

I have a few more pictures of some WIP models to share this evening.

Going to start off with a couple of images of my kids’ models. Before you pass judgement, they’re six and this is their first time trying to paint miniatures.

1 Like

Got a good picture of height differences. First and third model are Dust Tactics, theoretically 32mm. Second model is from Brother Vinni, theoretically 28mm. Fourth model is Nora from the Fallout Wasteland Warfare starter box. 32mm. Final model is from Afterglow Miniatures, 32mm. It’s my understanding that some model makers measure height to the top of the head while others measure to the eyes. Either way, all four brands in the image line up really well.

I lined everything up properly this time, so this should be a good reference for the miniature heights.

The two Dust Miniatures models have flam ers and I intend to use them as Forged raiders.

Then there’s what I was up to while my kids slathered ridiculous amounts of paint on their own models:

All four Sentry Bots are built, Both Behemoths, all the turrets, male Sole Survivor, Dogmeat with goggles, the Brother Vinni raider, one Mutant Hound, and Hammer’s still missing an arm (Waiding for the glue to dry before putting the other one in place.)

Got a base coat of white on one of my Deathclaws with the intent to make an Albino. Have two starter Mutant Hounds in the image too that I added red to the mouth and tried to show my kids what drybrushing was (I think it’s safe to say I was being a bit over optimistic when I was trying to show them.) I’ll be hitting the Deathclaw with a red wash next (Yellow or off white for the horns and claws) followed by a white drybrush. The Mutant Hound I need to put a green coat on it next.

I’ll share more when I have more to share.

1 Like

Do you have any pictures of the unassembled power armour models?

I’ll see about getting you some pictures. I’ve assembled Aspirant Goddard, but I should have versions of everything else unassembled. I’ll take a couple of shots of those the next time I work on things.