Deck plans for STA

Wanted to get a discussion going about deck plans for STA for research purposes. Do you use them, do you need them, how would you use them if you had them?

I don’t mean deck tiles or map tiles, but rather deck plans (something like this) showing the interior layout of ships, maybe a master systems display (something like this) showing the decks from the side rather than top-down.

STA is largely the first Star Trek RPG where Gamemasters and Players have the internet, passionate fans, and modern art tools at their disposal, and I know there are a lot of great fanmade deck plans, MSDs, and related artwork out there.

What are your favorites? What are your go-to websites for Star Trek deck plans, MSDs, ship art, references, etc.?

What’s your wish list, specifically related to deck plans and the like? Bonus if you can directly relate your wish list to a need within the context of a roleplaying game session or adventure.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Since I have the old FASA ones, I use those for Constitution and D7. SFB/PrimeDirective has a couple interesting ones that I’ve used… free trader and civilian small freighter. The G1 plans are for a small klingon ship, about runabout sized.

I redrew the SFTM plan segments near my preferred scale

I am not an active, but (hopefully) soon-to-be active STA GM. I do prepare a campaign for my regular group which I intend to GM when we finished my/our current fantasy campaign.

Deck-Plans were virtually the first thing I searched during this preparation.
This is the trove I discovered. But, as I see, you did, too.

I will need them, to create a better image of the place where the characters live, where they experience their adventures.

In fantasy games, I have maps of the surroundings to show where the adventures happen. If the party will stay within a lager village, or city, I will provide maps so the players can relate the localities with one another (this is probably bad english; hope you understand). If the party (or one player’s character, for that matter) acquires a fortress or some other holding – right, floor plans, you already got it.

For ‘modern’ games (take Vampire: The Masquerade, which I used to play years ago); or take the well-known Shadowrun franchise, I use actual maps (from e.g. the OpenStreetMap Project) and modify them. Etc.

Most of the time, the maps serve the purpose of showing the progress of exploration. Speaking in terms of the GNS-Model, I am a strong S-type person as I am an N-type person. So, when I DM, there is always a world to explore for my players with unique places and persons to discover. The map adds a new dimension to the game because it can show/tell connections of persons, places and their surroundings; if you see that the castle of Sir Lordlylord Castleowner lies directly adjacent to the Hell-Deep Pits of Fiery doom, it will be instantly clear to you, why he so much despises fire-creatures.

You might think that, translated on STA, this purpose would be served well with starcharts and maps of the galaxy, regions of space or even sectors. This is correct. But it is, in my opinion, not enough.

The deck-plan, in my opinion, is central for the perception of the group’s major NPC, the ship. The ship is, where adventures start and end and very often the whole stage where the play is set. It is the home of the characters and, just like Sir Lordlylord and the Firebeasts, ‘seeing’ how far away from another two places are set (or how close they are on the map), you will add another layer of immersion to the game.

Moreower, with deck plans, at least a MSD, you can actually check on which deck cargo bay 3 is located. I am totally fine with people who can randomly shout “Captain, multiple hull breaches on deck twelve, sections forty to forty-five. We need to shield the flank from the enemy fire!” in the midst of a fire-fight. Even if the game is set on a Defiant-Class ship (remember: three decks). I could not. Knowing and seeing where the things are in ‘physical’ relation to another is part of the immersion I need and enjoy.

This is basically how I would use them. As a narrative tool to set the stage. I’d print them out (I’m a paper person; at least one of my players will require PDF, though) and show them to the players, maybe even use them for stategic or tactical purposes (“Three Klingon boarding teams beam in here, here, and here. With the remaining Security teams abord, you can only engage two. Where will the security teams be sent?”) though this might be, because I now played D&D for longer than I did not in my life.

On whishes, I would like to refer you to the Official Product Whishlist here at this forum. My search for “deck plan” got 19 results.

1 Like

I use them for ship-centric episodes in which I treat the plans as sort of an internal scan showing the location of whatever interesting thing is front and center - intruders, engineering emergency, and so on. I was happy to find deck plans for an Akira Class vessel, as my home game has my players crewing the USS Damocles during the Dominion War. Please, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! Make deckplans an official part of Star Trek Advnetures.

2 Likes

One remark, since you, @Modiphius-Jim, mentioned internet: When we, our group, play, I as DM most of the time have access to a TV big enough that the whole group can look at it, or even a projector (funny sidenote: these things are called ‘beamer’, pronounced English, in German). I also already used electronic versions of maps and these to make notes on a map or sketch a path etc. This would be another use-case.

For me deck plans are a nice to have but not essential, that said I’d love to see em as part of a supplement (I’d only buy em stand alone if they where electronic document that didn’t cost too much) I’d also like to put some other thoughts, first of all the inital reaction is going to be to do deck plans for the TV show hero ships., but remember there are lots of those already out there, so try not to forget the popular ships that may not have featured in a series, Nebula deckplans for example would be nice. Secondly, more important then just deck plans (which will inevitably not be comprehensive anyway) would be a listing of how many decks a ship has, and whats on there. Also please for god’s sake make the thing “realistic” remember that a ship has a lot of mechanical stuff etc under the bulkheads, don’t just succumb to the temptation to do deck plans that fill in the interior space without at least rememebring machinery in the walls etc. a lotta sci-fi deckplans make that error and as someone whose worked in a shipyard it’s a pet peave

This!
I did this for the constitution class for my playtest group. I’m thinking of doing same for the saladin and hermes.

I’d love a consistent set of full plans for the SFTM ships - DN, CA, DD, SC, Tug - and a TOS era version of the Miranda class (sometimes called the Anton class, from FASA)… but with “mission configuration” options. Not unlike how ADB provided mission module replacement plans for their freighters.

1 Like

deck listing wise BTW I’ve been using this website as a source of info for my games http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/sitemap.html

Very well spoken.
Garrett

1 Like

I could do with Borg ones :slight_smile:

Diagrams like this abound on the Net for showing my players where they are on the ship’s bridge.

2 Likes

they do, although they’re almost universally for the enterprises and other “hero ships” some ones for differant classes could be fun

Not always - there are those for smaller ships too. Here’s one for the Nova class:

Not my work. All credit due to original artists.

2 Likes

ohh those are useful, I’d not found those of EAS

Thanks a lot! Shortly after my initial post in this thread, it occured to me I forgot these. I wanted to add them later and ultimately forgot it.

Thank you for bringing this up! These are indeed very helpful for immersion, imo.

I love those isometric diagrams. There’s a guy on DeviantArt – falke2009 – who has been diagramming a refit of the Nova class. His work is pretty attractive, and he doesn’t just limit his attention to the usual areas (like the bridge and the sickbay) – he gets a bunch of unusual rooms. One of my favourites is his model of the computer core, because it’s a space we never really see in the show.

I like his style so much, I’ve been playing with a similar aesthetic:

3D models like these are pretty easy to make for someone with experience. And they do wonders for being able to visualize ship areas.

BC

2 Likes

I like the isometric ones too. I just wish they had no characters so I could use them for battle maps more immersively.

I would use deckplans similarly to what others have posted, mainly for immersion. I also really love the idea of some illustrations included.

Also agree that some of the designs not featured in TV or other media would be the biggest impact. What does a Steamrunner feel like? Does it typically have a holodeck? Etc.

I also like to use these as aids for developing plot beats. “You can’t repair the engines from here on the bridge, you need to get to engineering. There’s a hull breach on deck 5, so you can’t go the direct route. The unidentified vessel is coming about for another pass. What do you do?”

Do they spend power to transport? Take the long route? Don suits? Etc.

Clearly I can do this without, but it’s a nice aid to get me thinking, and gold to illustrate to players.

1 Like

Generic curved corridors, modular bridge consoles that can be fitted together in any order, standard room templates with furniture you can add (tables, chairs, bunks, consoles, screens etc). Dungeons and Dragons has been using this floorplan format for 40 years. You would just need different sets for different species.

To be totally honest: No, I don’t think they are needed, there is enough Material out there.
But as I know myself, I would propably buy it anyway.

1 Like