What are people planning to do for terrain?

I ended up ordering the urban city block apocalypse terrain and game mat bundle from battle systems. The set seems have everything I wanted and more. The only thing I am curious about now is what size/scale vehicles should I buy and from where? I have no idea what am doing when comes selecting proper scales

1 Like

Awesome thanks, I will look for those scales online. Hobby lobby had this really
Old timey coca cola delivery truck I wanted to get. As well as some 1950’s era trucks and cars kits but the sizes looked way off

Toy cars can have a lot of variation in size, so ch4ncy’s suggestion to take an old toy car in with you is a very good one. (Just make sure it’s either clearly old, or something the store isn’t going to be carrying when you take it in. No sense having someone think you’re swiping it.)

Also, you mentioned Hobby Lobby, (We’ve got two of them fairly close by. Love the place. Unfortunately, only one of them carries O Gauge train stuff), a lot of the time they will have little people, vehicles, and other terrain pieces with the model train stuff that’s all the right size. It’s been my go-to place for a lot of what I’ve been planning for my table.

When my orders finally arrive (Hoping to hear they were shipped either today or tomorrow since they were saying the last of the preorders would ship by then. Then being in the states, will probably be about two weeks before they arrive.) I hope to take a few pictures of my stuff. I’ll make a point of sitting out some of my terrain from various vendors to show how they scale with everything else. That should give everyone a much better idea of how the model train stuff scales with the Fallout stuff.

1 Like

Ah thanks will do, a friend and myself are planning to check out a few hobby shops this weekend and look at some of the 0 gauge stuff. I recently found a really cool looking asphalt map to build your tables on. It comes in 3ftx3ft, 4ftx4ft, and 6ftx4ft. It is a completely blank asphalt map, then they have these square 2d field mats you lay out on the board that acts as the base of your terrain, in between each field map the asphalt then becomes roads between your buildings and the like. Here is a link to the website and a full video on the map being set up. https://www.urbanmatz.com/p/257/asphalt-6x4

2d%20asphalt%20terrain

2 Likes

Same…i like modular terrain that can be used on a variety of mats . Build on lil boards with a bit of extra scenic items for character.
The mat looks good ,might have to get one as the one I currently have is more wasteland and rubble.

1 Like

Oh man this gives me so many ideas, now I want to do my board from scratch again.

1 Like

Back in the Fallout 3/New Vegas Era, I didnt have a ruleset, but I started building Terrain. Buildings are O Gauge DPM panels as the basis, with scratchbuilt interiors.

Apparently I can only upload one pic at a time.

5 Likes

…and a delay…this will take forever. I have a dozen or so more pics :wink:
Should This be it’s own thread? If I do that, will it be quicker to post?

4 Likes

Very nice! Any chance we can get some better images of the vending machines?

Also, the vehicle, scratch build or from a kit?

Thank you for sharing, will be looking forward to seeing more!

2 Likes

Awesome pics! Love the fact the buildings have interiors too.
The Neon sign in side if the building is cool too…argh!! Making me want my Fallout minis and buildings more now!:smiley: Need to create!

3 Likes

I even Scratch Built Vending machines from screenshots and made castings of them.

5 Likes

Now those are absolutely beautiful. They look great.

2 Likes

The Chryslus Corvega V8 was scratch built

Sorry if I dont see your comments, this posting delay is poor design.

2 Likes

Thanks! I scratch built the sign from New Vegas screenshots. I had to order the little plastic letters from old OOP model railroad stock, but they fit the look. The corner grocery store is the only building that doesnt have an interior, as both sides are blocked when using it as a street corner, but the roof is a great sniper hidey hole. The little shelf I scratch built because the store in New Vegas had one. I made the rusty tin cans by putting styren tube stock in a pipe cutter and just scoring the can indentations along the surface. I used a small punch to pop out some can lids from thin styrene sheet.

3 Likes

Making the interiors as grungy as possible was my favorite part :wink:

3 Likes

You’ve got some really nice looking terrain. The cans are a clever little touch as well.

1 Like

I agree,the cans are Awesome! My imagination is pretty good,but I’d have never come up with that idea to make them!
Keep up the good work🖒

2 Likes

Ironically, when they explained how they made then, I was lurking my way around ebay looking for grocery store terrain for O Gauge trains in the hopes of finding exactly that kind of thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve talked a lot about the O Gauge train stuff, so I dragged out some of my stuff, then threw a Star Wars Legion model into the images for scale since they’re supposed to be the same scale as Wasteland Warfare.

I decided to put some terrain from several different vendors together just to give an idea of how everything looks and how they scale together.

Darth Vader is from the Star Wars Legion game and that model range is supposed to be 32mm. He’s just a little taller than the Luke figure.

The plastics and shipping containers are from TTCombat which is linked in the first post of this thread. I didn’t put everything I have in the image by any means, but I did try to show off a couple of the more interesting pieces.

The truck is something I found for sale in a booth at the State Fair a few weeks ago.

The model train cars are all O Scale train cars that I picked up at the local Menards store.

https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/menards-collectibles/train-stuff-from-menards/c-14331.htm?searchTermToCategory=train

Ok, lets start with the model train stuff:

At the top are the shipping crates from the TTCombat store. The two military box cars, the doors slide open , however the top does NOT come off so it’s not something you’ll be able to decorate the interior of very easily. The black one is a coal car. There are two flat cars for the train, they are the same, just one on it’s side and the other sitting flat. Under the first flat car is a Port-a-potty, Darth Vader from the Star Wars Legion (Added to show scale), the truck I’ve mentioned a couple of other times around here, a soda machine and a mattress. Under those are are a stove, a washing machine, a garbage can, and a chair that I’ve started to paint.

Same items, tipped train cars up and placed the shipping containers on one of flat cars.

One more for good measure.

Now some other stuff, this includes some more of the TTCombat terrain as well as some garden gnomes I ordered the other day from ebay. Barrels, couple of traffic cones, tires, couch, dresser, teddy bears (They came as part of the chunk of plastic under them. Still debating on the best way to remove them from that without damaging them.), mail box, male and female garden gnomes.

Toilets and bookshelves added to this one.

Tried to get a better shot of the gnomes with this one.

Sorry about the poor quality, my wife took the images with her tablet because my camera batteries were dead. Will see about getting better images at some point.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what kind of stuff did you get? I’ve been eyeballing some of the “Plasticville” buildings lately.

I’m going into town in the morning, I’ll keep the 1/50 doll house stuff in mind when I do so. Mostly I’m just hitting the one hobby store to see what kinds of options they have on hand for this since I usually just look at stuff that works with “Fantasy.” So I’m hoping to see if they might have an airplane or some vehicles that might scale well with this. I’m hoping I can find someone to talk to about paints a bit as well in the hopes of finding a way to tarnish the paint on the pickup above without doing too much damage to the thing (I was thinking paint thinners, but not sure how that would affect the plastic of the bumper, mirrors, and windows), kind of age it a bit for play. :wink:

1 Like