Strange new worlds is finally out

Yep. Actually my favorite episode so far.

2 Likes

La’an is my spirit animal.

2 Likes

Do you like to play bad cop for fun?

2 Likes

the R’ongovians, the idea of a culture who embraces radical empathy and opposite position taking before doing stuff is interesting, especially when they end up mimicking their diplomatic counterparts… which we can extrapolate as an interesting cultural trait,… something like cultural mimicry would be super useful in the federation and would make R’ongovians great managers, therapists, and diplomats.

Which is reminiscent of early beta-canon on the Bolians…

I am enjoying SNW through ep 7… but the transporter antics are a huge verisimilitude issue for me… especially since they’d have made a lot of TNG, DS9, and TOS eps different…

I respect the things being done with T’Pring and Spock.

I like the new Chapel, but find her incompatible with TOS Chapel. TOS she’s a good solid nurse… but not much more. SNW’s chapel borders on action hero, is clearly a post-graduate degree holder, seems to be a nurse-practitioner, and is much more a practice partner to M’benga, than the subservient original. (TMP even calls out McCoy’s reservations about Christine Chapel gaining an MD degree…)

IMO, It’s definitely the best trek in the 21st C so far, but it really feels as much a reboot to me as JJTrek did. (I’d put Prodigy #2, Disco #3, LD 4th,) It’s got a great tone, compelling Ensemble, and so far, good stories. And better, mirroring Seth McFarlane’s formula: lots of continuity, but stand alone A-plots, Good humor, likeable and imperfect and diverse main cast.

So sad that the scorch in the scavenger hunt / enterprise bingo is a retcon. One of my more diehard trek players pointed out that the front quarter of the saucer section was obliterated in a discovery episode so they would have had to replace that entire section with new hull plates.

I’m good with the retcon. Always saving a particular part sounds fun and much better that not having said part.

Also unless we saw that particular tiny section who knows, maybe it is the same. Etc etc.

I like this show. Not as much as Discovery (I LOVE this show!), but it’s good.
I’m kind of obsessed with Captain Pike’s surreal haircut.
My only complaint is: are the writers allowed to evolve their characters, or are they prisoners of TOS?
I would love for them to forge their own, divergent path, but I don’t think that’s possible

The showrunners have been noted for saying they’re not worrying about TOS minutia…

Hence Chapel acting like a ANP. Spock and T’Pring having a bond established as adults…

From Chrissie’s Transcript Sites (chakoteya.net)

KIRK: Marriage party? You said T’Pring was your wife.
SPOCK: By our parents’ arrangement. A ceremony while we were but seven years of age. Less than a marriage but more than a betrothal. One touches the other in order to feel each other’s thoughts. In this way our minds were locked together, so that at the proper time, we would both be drawn to Koon-ut-kal-if-fee.

The bond being forged as adults? And being breakable? those are not consistent with TOS…
… then again child-betrothal has changed appearance from merely backward to utterly abhorrent.

Well, up until now they did not include anything which contradicts TOS.

This week’s episode is interesting. Not going to spoil it, but it’s a TNG-feel for me this week…

To me SNW is an iconic Trek show as any. I love Pike and Una Chin-Riley. I have trouble reconciling Chapel and Uhura with their TOS-selves, but I enjoy both characters immensly. La’an and Ortega are fun. I like the stories (episode 6 was my least favorite so far), and look forward to more episodes.

For the record, I love Discovery to no end. This show was very positive in all ways that matter to me. Especially during season 3 when positivity was much needed.

Basically, I love most of the shows.

2 Likes

The talent “Walking Encyclopedia” is most likely to fit (I think), but the following also give some extra foci, either at creation or in the moment. Some are, of course, very specific, or somewhat narrower in scope than what I think you meant; there are also other talents that give extra foci, but they are specific to department.

Admiral (role)
Did The Reading
Expanded Program (Hologram)
Joined (Trill)
Natural Coordinator
Well-traveled (Klingon House)
Widely Traveled
Visit Every Star

1 Like

Poorly written for the most part. They really need to hire a military consultant to explain how chain of command works and what insubordination is. Almost nobody comes across as a professional. They act more like Twitter employees circa 2022, which reflects the inexperience of the writers. Not very good so far.

1 Like

Eh I chalk it up to the Federation is peacekeeping and humanitarian (sic) armada and way in the future of humanity… maybe things are slightly different and less military by then, … anyway its nowhere near BSG chain of command bad.

My response about ‘professionalism’ is watching TOS. The guy in Balance of Terror, for example, was worse then the characters in SNW in such behavior.

By the way, SNW was awesome. I think the Federation is rediculus on certain elements and I am all for changing the future due to the set up as done but those are in-story elements. In out of story show elements the show was fantastic.

2 Likes

A one-time character who was dressed down publicly for bigotry is not the same as multiple recurring characters being insubordinate in every episode.

Star Fleet is a military organization and stated to be so on numerous occasions. My point remains: bad writing.

2 Likes

As I’ve said before, I’m fairly sick and tired of the internet custom of cultivating bad moods by loudly and persistently voicing subjective personal opinions as if they were indisputable objective truths. Since this forum seems unwilling to clamp down on bad attitudes and I don’t have the option of putting habitual offenders on ignore permanently, I’m going to do the next best thing and put myself on ignore permanently. Goodbye.

4 Likes

Is that the reason why the woman in the TOS crew often clutch the Captain or hide behind male officers? Or why the male officers completely inappropriately lay their arms protectively around the women? This is totally unacceptable. Yet in TOS episodes it happens all the time. That is what I call unprofessional.

(Yes, I am aware that TOS was written in another century to completely different standards. I just want to point out how unprofessional the male officers are behaving in TOS.)

In the end, each Star Trek show and movie is rooted in its time period. Behavioural standards change. Also, Starfleet is not solely a military organisation. It is also a military organisation. But it’s also a scientific organization conducting research. It has a diplomatic mission, as well as supporting colonial efforts and supplying bases and planets. It is a multi-purpose organization.

2 Likes

Dude, in the immortal words of MST3K it’s just a show, you should really just relax. But also this is not the thread for it. This thread is for talking about the things in the show that spark engagement, help generate ideas, and broaden the game world for gm’s and players. If you want a place to vent about the “things I hate in Strange New Worlds” you have literally the entire rest of the internet to go. Hell, start a thread on the Mod Forums about things you hate in SNW if you want. But the folks in here have expressed a desire to not have people coming in here to yuck their yum.

6 Likes

So one of the things that SNW has used twice now is the whole see the future crystal from the Klingon planet. This could be an interesting element to bring into a game. Run an episode in the future, make it super bad in most ways, then turn back to the ‘present’ and let the players fix it. But yeah there are a number of elements that this plot point gives to me.

Another thing that the show has given me ideas for is the stations of the Neutral Zone. Imagine a station being built at what was a border zone and then expansion happens and it becomes less border and more trade capital for a new expansion. That could be potentially fun as well.