STA Project Manager taking Q&A through new intake form

As I recall from Discord, you can create a temporary account in your browser, without having to “register”.

Edit: As I recall, it’ll ask “what should we call you?” and then eventually you’ll have to either claim the temp account or it gets deleted or something. But it should be enough to read things on discord every once in a while.

1 Like

The problem I have with the Discord is that it moves too fast. There are lots of members and lots of chatter - anything of interest disappears long before I ever get a chance to notice it :frowning:

I would much prefer rules clarifications to appear in a more persistent form.

6 Likes

There are ways to fix that… pinning documents in chat for instance

Or not using elusive communication (= chat) for permanent information. :slight_smile:
Chats are designed for exchanging information, not for storing them.

2 Likes

Exactly . . .

It is worth noting that the STA section of the modiphius discord has this announcement:

Open call for errata! If you happen to see a typo or error in an STA product, please email your findings to jim at modiphius.com with ERRATA <product name> in the subject line. I’ll adjudicate them and add relevant entries to the errata document available on the webstores in the STA support section: Star Trek Adventures

So eventually errata will presumably be located there.

That doesn’t answer the problem of, say, the ‘STA rule query’ channel, but discord is searchable, and you can always ask a question, monitor it as answers come in, and then come back to discord when you have a new rule question.

Overall I think it makes more sense for the Modiphius staff workload to have a chat that they can answer as it comes in, rather than doing extra question collecting and video editing work, but I’m not sure what the best answer to collecting responses is… I suppose it might be useful for a mod there to make an “FAQ” type thing to pin, or to pin some discussions that generate lots of responses.

Edit: Discord also has threads, so they could be utilized in some way. They do go inactive though, so it’d probably require some doing to make people aware of them.

1 Like

For me, a dedicated forum channel works best. It certainly doesn’t need video (I don’t actually like watching talking heads videos, and you can’t search them), or much organisation for that matter. Pinnacle have a fairly basic forum set up and it works just fine.

Discord is just too fast for me with anymore than a couple of dozen active participants - it’s a chat service, not a persistent forum. This is the same reason I don’t use Twitter. The key element is that in a forum, you’ll pick things up because someone else asked - and that just isn’t going to happen with Discord, unless you happen to be looking within the short window of time when it’s within easy scroll. As a librarian, I’ve found “serendipity” to be a surprisingly useful concept - it works just as well within forums.

Fair disclosure: I’m in my 50’s so this tech isn’t really meant for me. It would be nice to be able to keep up though!

Regarding pinning documents: does anybody else think Discord’s approach to this is just incredibly clunky? If a post is pinned, I have to know it’s pinned - and then I have to drag over the right sidebar and tap the pin icon (I’m talking mobile here) and possibly scroll through pages of material…

4 Likes

One thing to consider is that modiphius forum is quite bad with long topics (take a look at the Character generator one). The intake for questions: excellent. The answers by video great.(because I like to hear voices). What could be cool a free Sage Advice, no sorry a Continuing Trial Transcription of questions, sorted by topics (Character, Personal combat and so on) that you can download and read. A nice bonus those who downloaded it will get a notification on modification

2 Likes

I would strongly suggest using desktop discord (either the program or in-browser). Mobile discord is useful to keep track of conversations or respond to stuff while out and about during the day, but the desktop version is somewhat more user-friendly, in my opinion. Just the pinned messages alone is easier, as the pin is right there in each channel to click (although there isn’t a difference in the icon for channels that do or do not have things pinned).

Modiphius appears to not pin items in the Star Trek channels, though.

I use the desktop version when gaming, but I don’t have access to my personal laptop most of the time. If I’m trying to follow a conversation, I’ll be using the mobile - which is kind of the issue :smiley:

Is VTT really in developenent?

VTT support in development, yes. Will share news once it’s ready to be shared.

1 Like

Next update on this in this new thread.