Official Product Wishlist

If there weren’t more Star Trek books in the works, then I’m not sure what I spent several months last year working on.

4 Likes

Well, I am not sure what you spent several months last year working on, 'cause why the heck should I know? :wink: But, here’s the deal: You tell me, and in return, I’ll tell you, what I did (the next piece I’ll be writing will even be in english :slight_smile: ).

No, really, no offense intended (exclamation mark!)! You want to say nothing until you come out with a product. I respect that. You decided to take me by my word when I said “shut up and take my money”, so that’s it now. But if you keep silent on your works, please don’t blame me when I don’t know nothing about it.

Oh, no, I’d love to be able to tell you what’s coming. But deciding when we can talk about stuff is done by people who aren’t me.

2 Likes

My apolgoies; “you” was meant in a generalised sense, as in “you = Modiphius”. Again, no offense intended, especially no personal offense. Sorry.

All I’m saying is that Modiphius is a black box to me. I think that this is intentional, as in “it is an active decision by someone within the company” to not say anything. Which is… well, “fine” as in “I might not like it but I have no right to demand anything else”. But the wish for a more proactive information policy on Modiphius’ side is already on this list.

I’d imagine not even women are comfy wearing that awkward uniform, much less men.

How do they say? Imagination is something some can’t even envision. :slight_smile:

Well, what people of one generation find awkward might be fashionable for people of another generation.

2 Likes

Jim, I appreciate the answer, and this bit isn’t directed at you, because I know the decisions about what to announce are not yours.

I realize there can be any number of reasons for playing things close to the vest, especially in terms of licensed properties and the contracts involved… but this level of silence seems counterproductive to building anticipation for new product, and frankly, maintaining brand awareness. If we don’t know what’s coming, or at least that something’s coming, people are very likely to stop talking about it, and interest will wane. And before that happens, there’s going to be a lot of speculation, much of which will be negative, from those uninformed, and those unaware of how these things work.

There’s got to be some kind of balance, hasn’t there?

1 Like

Did you miss the bit where I said “Beyond the Delta book, which released today, none of the forthcoming STA products have been announced yet” ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t disagree. Modiphius has grown by leaps and bounds in the last three years and the number of IPs and products they have now compared to then is amazing. I’m glad I don’t have to coordinate the endless numbers of ads, promotions, and so forth across the company. This means all the stuff we have in the works for STA will get announced at an appropriate time to not compete with other announcements.

And, with coronavirus and any other endless things that happen in post-production that Modiphius has zero control over (printing, shipping, distribution, plagues) an announced product date might slip, and we all know the internet hysterics that happen when any company misses any release date for any reason. Real catch-22.

EDIT: There’s also a science and art to releasing news at a good time compared to when the thing is released. Preview a thing too early and you might lose people’s interest (that book won’t be out for another year? whatever; vs. This book will be out in 3 months??) Hard to say which approach is better, but with the internet being what it is, it’s so easy to get distracted by other things.

2 Likes

No, I wished for express confirmation. :slight_smile:

I will admit this release is extremely out of the blue. As in, I’ve committed money to other hobbies and now won’t be able to buy this book for a while…

If we’re going with the idea of people losing excitement if an announcement is too early, isnt it also true that people not being able to impulse buy the product because they had no clue it was coming out is equally damaging to excitement.

Personally this “oh by the way, this book is out” approach is making me lose enthusiasm for the product, while making it seem there is little care from the company with this property. Which is a shame, cause I really enjoy this game.

1 Like

Nailed it. This is exactly how I feel about Modiphius’ communications strategy.

Also doesn’t help when third parties announce your news for you Cough (Gale Force Nine) Cough (Dune 2d20)

I feel with the Delta Quadrant sourcebook released, and bringing us in the timeline up to the events of Nemisis it is time for a bit of a “and what next” news release from the devs. the general product line for awhile has been 1 quadrant, advance the timeline, with that done the logical question is “what now?”

I mean there’s quite a bit of content that we could get, no stats for any of the romulan nemisis ships for example, it’d be nice to get that

[quote=“mattcapiche, post:439, topic:816, full:true”]
I will admit this release is extremely out of the blue. As in, I’ve committed money to other hobbies and now won’t be able to buy this book for a while…

If we’re going with the idea of people losing excitement if an announcement is too early, isnt it also true that people not being able to impulse buy the product because they had no clue it was coming out is equally damaging to excitement.[/quote]

You proved my point. :slight_smile: Gamma and Delta were announced in October 2019. Clearly too long before release for folks to remember the press release.

1 Like

I remember that Delta was to be released in late 2018, back when I ordered some Cube from Modiphius. I know that there were problems out of your control, all the licensing stuff etc. But I think it proves the point that a months old announcement is something one could a bit cautious with, i.e. re-rolling dice once in a while. :wink:

Out of my control, anyway. Glad you all are enjoying the products. Hopefully you remain enthusiastic about the line.

2 Likes

Heck yeah.

I get some of the points brought up by others, but there’s also the matter of not being able to please everyone all of the time; it’s practically impossible to find that sweetspot. I was pleasantly surprised by the release of Delta though (wasn’t around much yet for the other releases back then, until Gamma). This is arguably the game that gets me into RPGs, so I’m more than eagerly anticipating future releases (regardless of how they’ll be announced).

Kind of also supports the idea that there really should be some kind of middle ground