Feedback on T60

Thought I’d share what I’ve been up to since painting my t60.

Today I painted Nora who I struggled with a bit due to finding it difficult to see the fine details on plastic sculpt. Is resin easier in that respect? I’m a bit scared of highlighting because I don’t want to ruin what I’ve already done, so Nora has no highlights. The models are quite expensive to mess up.

I had fun which is the main thing.

What do you guys think of adding a brown wash to the loot boxes to give a dirty effect? Again they are quite expensive to mess up £20 for the some boxes my wife thinks I’m mad

3 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying painting them! The resin Nora definitely has sharper features, but it might be worth getting a bit more confidence painting the pvc minis if you’re worried about mistakes while highlighting and so on. Keeping your paint thin, and not having too much on the brush at a time, can also help with that :slight_smile:

I like the worn metal look you’ve given the boxes, as you say though a wash could definitely help add dirt and shadows to the recesses. You’re making good progress though!

I second the opinion of adding the brown wash to the boxes.

As someone that doesn’t highlight because of worry it’ll ruin the work I’ve done, I’d like to share a work around I use. Ive found that dry brushing an area with a lighter tone prior to applying the final wash can do a good job of simulating highlighting.

1 Like

Interesting idea, can you show me any pics of this technique?

It might just be easier to point you to a couple threads.

This one is Fallout related. Every mini had this done to some degree or another. Mostly the skin, but also the harder bits of the Deathclaw and the Power Armor.

For non-Fallout related, here’s a Work in Progress thread I did for another game where this was used on skin, clothes, and fur.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?67683-Alxraven’s-Night’s-Watch-WIP-Thread

It’s important to have a good idea of what the wash is going to do to the colors you use. Then pick colors that will end up where you want them tone wise, after the wash is applied. In almost all cases, you’ll want to go with something lighter than the result you want.

For example, a dark wash over blue will darken the color. A blue wash over the same blue will deepen the color, and make it even more blue.

2 Likes