Utopia Planitia

It was written before SNW came out and we don’t have the license to SNW anyway.

The sidebar at the beginning of the book’s introduction applies. Canon likely will contradict some of the book’s contents eventually.

2 Likes

The transcript for Space Seed gives Khan’s reign as 1992-1996 The Star Trek Transcripts - Space Seed

It also puts the '90s as the era for the eugenics wars (although it conflates the eugenics wars with WW3, but Pike seems to make it clear the whole period from 90s to First Contact is seen as a series of connected events).

There’s another example of misdating the Eugenics Wars in the DS9 episode “Dr. Bashir, I presume?” as well: Rear Admiral Bennet mentions the Eugenics Wars as happening “200 years ago” when the episode occurred in-universe during the year 2373. Ron Moore later admitted that this was a math/dating mistake on his part when he wrote the episode.

I’m looking through my new PDF of the Utopia Planitia book and I can tell I’m going to have soooo much fun with this book. :star_struck: :heart_eyes: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

explains why we don’t have the Archer type (granted that’s proably just a Hermes with HEAVY automation)

I wonder why the Sagan class is not in the book. My guess is they are saving it for some new PIC era book.

Might be release delays. during the writing process STA woulda had to bounce things back and forth with CBS/Paramount. If they wheren’t given a “in advance heads up” I bet the inital plan for this book pre-dated their writing team knowing about the Sagan Class.

1 Like

Looks like I have another book to buy…

3 Likes

The manuscript was largely done before Picard season 2 came out. There wasn’t time to add it. Hopefully get it into another book eventually.

1 Like

So was the inclusion of the Sutherland, Gagarin, Ross and Reliant classes happy coincidence, or did Paramount share that knowledge with you? (Obviously, if you can’t say, then you can’t say).

BC

good question I’m curious now too.

Just discovered this game (and this new supplement) and am floored by the quality, depth and ingenuity of the product.

One quibble with an attempt to explain relativity on page 38 though (I’m a physics professor):

Relativistic: While not technically faster than light, any spacecraft approaching light speed begins to show relativistic effects. Depending on perspective, an observer on the spacecraft would see time passing more quickly in the outside universe, and an observer in the outside universe would see time passing more slowly inside the spacecraft. This means that crew on the spacecraft may travel many light-years and only experience the
passage of months or even weeks while en route.

The part in bold is incorrect. It is one of the principles of relativity that only relative motion matters in measurements.

To observers on a fast-moving spaceship, it is they who are at rest, and other objects (e.g. Earth) that are moving at high-velocity.

It is true that observers on earth see clocks on the spaceship ticking slower than their own.

But (contrary to what is said on page 38) observers on the spaceship also see clocks on Earth ticking slower than their own.

It must be so, since the situation is completely symmetrical, in terms of relative motion.

Any clock that is moving relative to you ticks slower than your own.

This apparent paradox is possible because in addition to moving observers disagreeing about the rate each others’ clocks tick, they also disagree on what events are simultaneous.

Events that occur at the same time in different locations, in one frame of reference, occur at different times in another frame moving with respect to the first; simultaneity is not absolute, but relative.

1 Like

I believe there was a comment somewhere about it being a partnership with STO specifically on this book. I could have misread it but it sounded like it was CBS going “Hey include some of these ships, work with STO crew” or something to that effect.

No, it was intentional to add some STO ships. Happy accident that they were also in Picard, though I suspect Thomas knew that the ships were going to be in Picard, not sure on that one.

1 Like

STO’s ship developers where working with Picard so yeah they knew, did STO reccomend the ships then?

Can the starship creation guidelines be used to create NPC ships for polities that weren’t mentioned in that section as well?

Of course.

Yes. I asked Thomas Marrone to pick the top five or six STO ships he’d want to include.

The reason I ask is because I tried using the creation rules on some of the ships from quadrant sourcebooks and some of the system totals didn’t add up it according to the rules.

For example the Hideki-class’ system total adds up to 35. Because it was launched sometime in 2370 that gives it 40 points under the starship section, since its scale is 2 that deducts 2 points, but I don’t know what causes it to be shaved by another 3 points. Since it doesn’t have a specific launch year I just subtracted 2370 by 2200, but that would give it a total of 57 (55 after taking 2 off due to the scale).

I tried the same using the small craft rules (using a runabout as the base point total) but that gives it a total of 46.

The rules in UP aren’t meant to be backward-compatible. If you want to build a new Hideki (which aren’t addressed in UP anyway), you’d build them according to the rules in UP (if you want) and adjust the points accordingly. Maybe using previous write-ups as guides.

Thanks for clearing that up, I didn’t realize UP was using new rules in-regards to starship creation. I’ve been preoccupied with other stuff this week and the only part of the book I fully read was the starship/star base creation section.

I was using the previous write-up of the Hideki from the Alpha Quadrant Sourcebook as an example as to why I was confused about the system totals not adding up for NPC ships from previous books. I could have also used the D’deridex from the core rulebook (since UP mentions creating Romulan ships alongside Federation and Klingon ships in different eras) and the system stats for that likely wouldn’t have added up based on the new rules as well.