Utopia Planitia

Yeah Thomas was one of the two STO devs working on ship design for Picard. It’s a safe bet he choose ships that he knew where appering in Picard season 2.

The Oddessy’s a big obvious one even if it doesn’t apper in season 3 of Picard. (the smart money says it will)

If I was a betting man I’d bet on the pathfinder appering as well.

Jim, for sending you editing corrections to the PDF via email, there isn’t a set deadline, is there? I mean, it’s not like I’m gonna throw an entire screed of grammar nazi corrections at you a year from now…

…Aw, who am I kidding, I’m totally gonna, but I want to do it in a reasonable time frame, say, within a couple of weeks. I want to proofread the entire PDF and email you the corrections I find, if that’s alright with you. Obviously, it’s too late to help the printed book, but if it’s a lot easier to update the PDF, then I’d like to help as quickly as I’m able.

We hope that we’ll eventually get the license to SNW as we did Discovery. I’d love to see a SNW era book like DISCO’s. After it’s been out a couple of seasons. Fantastic work, and thank you!

1 Like

The book is amazingly wel written.
A must have if you play the game.
I think there some small missing parts or explaning to do:

Missing Talent “Additional Propulsion System”.
This talent is missing in the talent chapter.
On pg 34 the book explains the different types of faster than light travel.
But it would have been nice to see all of them in the talent chapter with some form of rules format.
-Coaxial warp drive
-Quantum Slipstream
-Quantum Slipstream Burst Drive
-Spore drive
-Transwarp drive
-Subspace corridors (how to enter them and exit them rules wise)

There are several mentionings in the book:
-Mission profile “Testbed” (pg 72)
-USS Discovery (pg 131) has a fault in the text. I think it should read “Additional Propulsion System:
Spore drive” instead of Spore Drive (Additional Propulsion System).
-Reliant spaceframe (Pg 169)
-USS Larkin (Pg 197): Additional Propulsion System: Quantum Slipstream Drive. But no rules are
present.
-Odyssey spaceframe (Pg 202): Additional Propulsion System: Quantum Slipstream Burst Drive (page 196
-USS Enterprise F: Additional Propulsion System: Quantum Slipstream Drive. But no rules are present.

Multi-Vector Assault mode (Pg 90):
This rules for this appeared also in the Gamma quadrant source book (pg 86), and are almost identical.
It doesn’t adress the automated combat abilities that are seen in the Voyager episode Message in a bottle. I have a possible fix for this. Add the following 2 rules to this talent:
-While seperated the ships looses the Systems (Propulsion) talent and gain the Automated defenses talent.
-Following the separation, the three separate sections could be piloted manually, or could be controlled by the ship’s computer to perform pre-programmed attack patterns. Incase of a preprogrammed pattern the Helm officer can increase the difficulty of Helm maneuvers by 1. If successfull the other subsection ships perform the identical helm manuever.

USS Prometheus space frame:
The Memory-alpha website states the following and the Voyager episode states the following fact about the Prometheus class: The Prometheus was an experimental prototype designed for deep space tactical assignments and equipped with regenerative shields, ablative hull armor, and multi-vector assault mode. She was the fastest ship in Starfleet with a warp factor of 9.99 when she was launched from the Beta Antares Ship Yards on stardate 50749.5 in late 2373. The vessel was also equipped with holographic projectors on every deck, allowing its EMH Mark II free range of movement throughout the ship.
If you look at this discription the ships should have 5 talents, and that is 1 more than allowed for a size 4 ship (unless you upgrade it with a milestone).

The prometheus spaceframe should at least have the following 3 additional talents:
-Emergency medical hologram: Can be argued that the ship doens’t need it anymore, but if you look at the launch date of the prometheus class it contradicts this (Launch year 2373, and the Emergency medical hologram talent states that you don’t need it anymore from the year 2380 because all ships come automatically equiped with a EMH.
-Siphoning shields (Regenerative shielding)
-Ablative armor

1 Like

One thing I just noticed is a reference to a Talent called “Fleet Command,” (mentioned on page 76 in the second paragraph of the Political Operations starbase mission profile) which I assume is the space station equivalent of the Command Ship Talent. But the Fleet Command Talent isn’t described/defined or even mentioned anywhere else in the book, not even in the Talents section(s). I assume this was an oversight?

I try to update the PDFs semi-regularly, when there’s enough errata to make it worthwhile and if the graphics team has bandwidth to make it happen. I’ll take emails any time with corrections. jim at modiphius.com.

1 Like

Generally loving the book, but I’m noticing that the 22nd century ships all have the reduced technology talents (polarised hull plating, grappler cable, etc), although not consistently, but that these are not detailed in the book. (They were in Command Division IIRC.) Given that some of the weapons talents are now actually just weapons systems, and that these talents don’t give advantages as such, is there any need for them at all? Or could they just be special rules for those periods?

Also, what is the point of the Specialized Crew talent? It restricts your Crew Support while giving you no bonus?

And for some reason, the Warp Delta appears to be upside down! (p99)

Do the construction rules include rules for small craft? (I have not read the pdf, just know that there are new build-your-own spaceframe rules).

Yes. Starships, small craft, and stations.

This one is strange, indeed. When I read your comment first, @Astronut, I mistook the talent for the Dedicated Personnel talent. Both go in a similar direction – maybe a houserule to balance the Specialized Crew talent could raise the total Crew Support of the ship a little?

Another thought would be to improve any Supporting Character at first introduction and not at second and onwards (that’s probably the way I’ll deal with this talent, if my players ever wanted to take it for their ship).

I finally got hold of the Discovery book yesterday - and it’s exactly the same there (used in the Crossfield class).

I note there have been a number of “talents” that serve to actually restrict the ship rather than benefit it - mostly for older vessels. I think in many cases, they should be Traits rather than Talents!

1 Like

We went with talents in most cases, but certainly nothing stopping groups from turning them into traits and using the talents slots for something else.

Also–just finished off the final final edits before going to print. We cut the Specialized Crew talent. Dedicated Personnel does the job better.

Didn’t you say there would be no further edits?! I didn’t email you some typos I stumbled upon because I thought you did. Sorry…

Sorry @Modiphius-Jim… but at least this doesn’t affect the print version: the bookmark entries for talents in the PDFs need regenerating to reflect the new and missing talents :smiley:

Just out of interest, did it get replaced with anything, or just a straight cut? Doesn’t really matter either way, just curious as I can’t get to my pdf until tomorrow

Improved Damage Control was missing and has been re-added. And it looks like some 22nd century talents were also missing judging from the missing Bookmarks: Grappler Cables and Polarized Hull Plating, but I could be wrong in those.

1 Like

Ah, designer missed that, I guess. We can fix it. In the meantime, I think most pdf readers allow you to edit bookmarks.

Just cut. Dedicated personnel does the job.

1 Like

No worries. Things changed quickly. Send the typos anyway and we can update the pdf as needed.

I got the update for UP yesterday and I noticed that the starting year for determining points for runabouts is now 2150 instead of 2200 that was said in the previous version.