The Wubbulous World of Alxraven’s Painted Stuff

I think you’re right. The Dragon Red after a wash would look better. I’ll have to look at what all I have, maybe see if I have something just a little bit darker than the Dragon Red, if not, I think the Dragon Red will still look really good.

A touch of the Chaotic mixed with the Dragon will probably get you what your looking for.

Finished up my two power armor minis last night. I went with the prime in black, then dry brush metallic approach. I think they turned out well.

I added some color to the back, along with a lighter metallic to other areas, just to give some variance in tone. I had strongly considered adding additional stripes to various places on the armor to denote a unit, and then carry that over to the other Brotherhood members. Picture the clone armor in Star Wars. I REALLY like this idea, but decided to hold off until hopefully getting more minis.

3 Likes

Finished my super mutants. I used the same thought process with their skin as I did with the hounds.

I think I was a little heavy handed with the rust, so I’ll have to remember that going forward.

8 Likes

Those are looking good :+1: I wouldn’t say that the rust is too over the top, it looks fine to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d say the rust looks good!

1 Like

A lot of the rust effect is subject to the painting style. Different rust effects look better or worse with different painting styles. In the case of your painting, you have a lot of areas done in one or another color, with nice sharp contrasts between the various elements. Just look at the first base in the last image for a perfect example, you have your road, rubble, board and sidewalk, each of them are dirty looking and fit the setting, but at the same time they’re crisp and stand out sharply against each other. Your rust is done in the same way, where the skin, cloth, and metal all has a sharp contrast between each other in the same way. It works very well and they’re going to look fantastic on the table.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. It was only my second attempt at using an effects paint. The first time was really light, so this seemed like too far of a swing the other way. Glad to hear it looks good to others tho!!

It’s been a minute since I’ve been able to circle back around to more Fallout minis.

Here is my take on the con exclusives. Military Shader wash from Army Painter on the ghouls. Graph-charger grey contrast paint on the others.

Just need to paint the rings on the bases to match their faction, and they’re done!

5 Likes

Looks good! :slight_smile: I like how much detail there is even on the clear resin minis

1 Like

Thanks! And yeah the detail is great. Even a simple wash like I did makes it all pop really well.

1 Like

Thanks to the quarantine, I’ve finally managed to circle back around to some sets I got for X-Mas. Going to post them in group shots, to avoid picture overload. I’m more than happy to do single shots of any minis people want a better look at tho, so feel free to ask.

All minis were painted with a mix of regular paint, and Contrast paints.

The sandbags and barrels came from the Tiny Terrain line on Miniature Market. Pretty happy with the sandbags, but the barrels had some holes and a real thick base.

I went back to Testor’s Dull Coate for the varnish with these, and much happier with the results after using another brand that gave my Supermutants a frosted look. If anyone has any advice for fixing the frosted look without having to repaint everything, I’d be very appreciative.

Hope you enjoy!

7 Likes

Great work, that’s a lot of painting! How did you do the skin on the regular ghouls may I ask? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those look good.

1 Like

Ghoul skin was a base layer in a light tan color, like Iraqi Sand or Skeleton Bone. Then a coat of Contrast Paint - Skeleton Horde (Tho any dark brown wash would do). Last step was a flesh wash over the skin, to add some warmth.

Thanks for asking!

1 Like

I might have to use a scheme like that next time I have some ghouls to paint, thanks for posting it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy to help! The Contrast paints have found some great unintended uses in my house. Some of them I use like washes, with the added benefit of not having to worry as much about tide marks.

If you ever want to do something more gangrenous, use a yellow-brown like Army Painter Desert Yellow (mine does NOT like to cover at all, which actually helps in this case) then wash with a Green Shade. Army Painter’s Military Shader is my preferred choice, as it’s a bit darker and less “GREEN!” than a normal Green Wash. It’s my favorite skin tone for zombies.

1 Like

All of those group shots look awesome, AlxRaven! I like how you color coordinated the bases too. Most people, including myself, tend to paint bases all the same color across a game line but doing that by faction looks really cool.

1 Like

Thanks!

I find the color coded bases make it easier to pick them out on the table. Especially if I’m playing with someone that’s not as familiar with the franchise.