Tell us about your campaign starships

My campaign is in 2374. The USS Athena is a Miranda class ship which is over 100 years old but was recently put back into service from the boneyard as part of the emergency re-activation during the darkest times of the Dominion war. She also has a dark legacy: unrevealed until recently, 100 years ago she was used by the proto-section 31 (the patriotic conspirators who were the villains of STVI:TUC) and the secrets of her service and in her hull are a significant part of the unfolding campaign. As part of that conspiracy, she was briefly an antagonist of the PCs in the campaign 25 real life years ago.

2 Likes

Not exactly, but shades of that are in there…

@Sparky – I love the Weeping Angels, and this is a great idea. I may steal it for a future mission!

My players are on the USS Vesta, prototype for the entire class, NX-82601 in 2381. They are a Technical Test Bed for a more stable Quantum Slipstream Device made from the one recovered from Voyager after her return to Earth in 2376. I used this as a template for the drive, but set the Mark I Top Speed to Warp 9.99988765, or 20LY an hour (20x faster than Warp 9.9).

It also possesses a Chroniton Generator and a Chronal Sensor Integrator, allowing the sensors to look a few seconds into the future while in Slipstream in order to better attune the shield harmonics. Because of this potentially dangerous technology, the Vesta has the first DTI (Department of Temporal Investigation) operative to be permanently stationed on a Federation Starship.

They are in the process of their 6 month Shakedown right now and then will be heading from the Alpha/Beta Quadrant towards the Gamma Quadrant to see what’s between the Bajoran Wormhole and Dominion controlled space.

Nice, this is one possible scenario for season 3 of our campaign!

In the pilot, when they received their DTI Operative, they got a message 5 mins later from a different DTI team informing them that they were under investigation for Time Travel.

“But, we haven’t even turned on our Chroniton Generator yet?”

DTI2: “Then how do you explain this?” They then show recovered security footage from a TOS era wreck recently found with all the Crew of the Vesta among the TOS era crew of the crashed ship before it crashed.

While they were doing a system inspection of the Chroniton Generator to prove that nothing was amiss, a Quantum Fillament hit the ship and caused the Chroniton Containment Field to distort, resulting in an energy surge and the ship moving through time instead of space along the Quantum Filament into the past.

Good times.

4 Likes

Personally, I am not a fan of time travel in Trek. To over used, causes to many questions, etc etc etc.

That said, That is a very neat use of !!!

I love the use of, intro is you are being investigated … but wait we haven’t even put the key in the ignition . See, look everything is powering up correctly, the logs are clear,. wait … what the duce …

If you are going to do a time travel series, THAT is the way to do it !

2 Likes

(I wonder if there is a USS Fifth Edition?)

“… She may not have a holodeck, …”

Does a big empty room for LARPing count?

A little late to the party… but we are just starting.

Our ship is the USS Goodall, a Nova Class, NCC 73434.
As the GM I made one small modification to the class. I really do not like it that she has such a low warp speed. I decided that this particular ship should have a better warp drive. She is a multirole explorer with secondary reactors.
I am really looking forward to playing her an her crew.

The crew consists of
a Vulcan ops manager
a Klingon chief engineer
a Trill science officer, soon to be XO
a Trill helms man
a Betazoid communications/tactical officer
a human medical officer.

I plan to run them thru the adventures in the starter set. fI all goes well the LC adventures will be next.

1 Like

U.S.S. Yosemite NCC-73626

Top of the line in 2067, the Yosemite is a Cheyenne-Class light cruiser. Assigned to the Cardassian-Federation-Border and Starbase 211, the ship and her crew have to deal with the newly formed treaty between the Cardassian Union and the Federation. Old rivalry’s and enemy’s now have to face each other reaching out in peace, though still remembering the horrors of Setlik III and other battlefields.

Commanded by the venerable Captain Hamish Wright, the Yosemite’s mission is to keep the peace between old foes and to diffuse the still lingering tension aswell as to uncover a plot trying to plunge the sector into an another conflict.

Crew:

• Human Captain Hamish Wright
  • Trill First Officer Quiana Lezar
  • Human Chief Science Officer Samuel Cooper
  • Betazoid Chief Engineer Jenkael Adaro
  • Vulcan Chief Medical Officer Sialk
1 Like

Been a damn long while since I’ve posted here, but the thread topic was something that inspired some real consideration, and I also wanted to back up NervePinch’s statements and provide big thumbs-up on the games, as he has - very generously - taken on the role of our group’s GM.

The U.S.S. Achilles has been a fantastic resource that NervePinch has custom-made for us: we like our games as a solid red-meat action storyline, and both TOS’ era (starting off in 2266, as he indicated), and the locations have given us a real starting point that is both feasible and enjoyable. I can’t conceive a way that the Federation, in a post-2364 time-frame, would have ever put something like the NX Achilles class together; the Defiant would certainly permit military-based stories, but the Achilles contains, very deliberately, science-centered resources that a one-note wonder like the Defiant, STA GM customization aside, simply wouldn’t have. This also gave me the freedom to work the ship’s captain, my character, Michael Kane Cooper, into having a 4 in both Sciences and Security, which allow him the capacity to switch-hit, depending on where the ship’s going and the scenario that NervePinch wants to run.

While various Star Trek RPGing systems, have, throughout the years, certainly allowed GMs to custom-design their own ships, Modiphius’ STA has taken an admirable step in vaulting the ship’s presence into a real character resource. “Now I know why they call it she…”

2 Likes

For the “first season”, my group will be going through the Living Campaign missions, with some others in between. Since “Signals” takes place during Generations, the Amargosa star isn’t that far from the Shackleton Expanse, and the Farragut is one of the ships that come to the aid of the Enterprise, I decided that the USS Farragut will the ship that the players will be serving aboard. I have also named the Miranda-class USS Bozemen (for game cannon, the Bozemen was refitted [retrofitted?] after it joined our timeline back to a standard Miranda-class ship) and the Oberth-class will be named USS Biko. I might change this to USS Alcubierre, but I am not sure about that one.

Either at the end of season 1, or the start of season 2, the players will decide if the want to continue with their characters or start new ones. If they stay with their characters, they will be transferred to a new ship that they will have input on. If they start new ones, the old ones will stay on the Farragut as it is assigned to the Alpha quadrant. What Season 2 will hold, I don’t know if they will stay in the area or not. Although, it would be interesting to see how Starbase 364 will handle the upcoming Federation-Klingon War.

1 Like

This is the story of my gaming group.
I’m the GM and we have the following crew:
Rear Admiral Keldar (Ferengi Male) (House of Tran)
Captain David O’Cconer Starship Captain (Human Male)
Commander Yedrin Djinx Chief Science Officer & First officer (Joined Trill)
Lieutenant Sotal Chief Security Officer (Vulcan female)
Lieutenant Grunch Hazard Team Leader (Brikar male)
Lieutenant Lenaris Amojan Chief Medical Officer (Bajoran male)

*Marazin (Season 1): The group started in a Defiant ship “USS Phounix” that got sucked up by an alien race in a radiated nebula. The aliens needed the radiation so they could not leave it, however it killed other races slowly. All the alien ships where parked in an orderly fashion and had almost no power due to enormous energy dampening fields. At the end of the season they escaped he nebula and they where in the Delta Quadrant.
*The Borg War (Season 2): The crew find a faint Starfleet signal in the delta quadrant. After investigation they find a modified Type 10 shuttle (limited slipstream drive and a destroyed time traveling device) but to the sensor readings date the crash 150 year ago. In the shuttle they find a message from the pilot that the federation will be attacked by the Borg on 6/4/2382. They will arrive in a new type of ship named the Borg Pyramid which is about 20 times a Borg Cubes and unstoppable. The construction is now in full progress. The pilot steals a shuttle from the research facility Delta New Era setup by Admiral Janeway when she got back from the Delta Quadrant. He made a calculation fault in the stress of the assault and landed 150 years to early. with his final breath he recorded the message and set the controls to begin emitting in a 150 years. At the end of the season the crew succeeded at gathering a massive army and assaulted the Borg on their home turf, destroying the pyramid in the process. The Borg still invaded federation space but they were able to push them back.
*New Beginning (Season 3) : The crew makes contact with an alien race known as the Randairi. They ask them to help them because there base of operation is a federation starbase. They learn that the Randairi are the mortal enemies of the Vadwaar, and that the base appeared to them during their last battle. The Vadwaar released a virus that was killing the Randairi so the starbase captain created some sort of stasis field and froze everybody in time and cloaked the base. This base is near a temporal nebula and when the crew approached they were catapulted in the past and where partially responsible for the starbase appearing in this region. The base was named USS Alexandria and the researched its history. Originally the base was destroyed by a supernova during the dominion war. The supernova was a plan of a changeling to destroy all of the forces present (Klingon, Romulan, and Federation). The crew violated the temporal prime directive and evacuated the entire base and armada through the temporal portal that got them there. just before the Supernova hit the starbase it interfered with the temporal portal and send it 1000 years back during the confrontation with the Randairi and the Vadwaar. The crew and the entire armada of Federation, Klingon, and Romulan ships appeared in the Delta quadrant. They release the Randairi form there stasis field and found a dimensional portal to an underwater dimension where the Randiari live. The crew must work together with the Klingon and Romulans to operate the base. All goes well and it was a time for discovery and scientific research. But on one of their missions they found a giant automated ship that transported survivors of another galaxy. There galaxy was taken over by a deadly virus that converted people into zombie like creatures that can be mentally controlled by a mysterious being. The ship manifest stated that it is full of stasis pods with healthy subjects. But somehow the virus got out and started terrorizing the ship. The crew was nearly killed but escaped with a young girl that seems immune to the virus. They also find out that the mysterious being is on its way to this galaxy. The crew battled the virus on several planets and confronted the mysterious enemy (planet sized) and defeated him in the process.
*Dark Times (Season 4): After a successful mission they accidentally created a wormhole where they can be transported through. They named the wormhole “Djinx Wormhole” after the one of the playing characters the Joined Trill scientist Yedrin Djinx. Contact with the federation is made after a long time. They must go back to the federation where they were accused of breaking several federation laws. the crew got separated and convicted for their crimes. Later on they were contacted by Starfleet intelligence and faked there escape. They were given the order of finding and bringing to justice a terrorist organization calling themselves “Avengers of the past”. This terroristic organization wreak havoc across the federation with assassinations and bomb attempts. At the end they found out that it was a brilliant federation scientist that created the organization. His sector was heavily out manned during the Borg Invasion that as a result wasted the planet. The federation didn’t send reinforcements even after several pleas of their government. Just before the Borg Invasion he found an advanced powerful artifact of an ancient civilization of unknown origin in a bunker under the ground that was linked to some gigantic hidden space station. During the invasion he wanted to escape but an explosion killed his wife and only child and left him deadly injured. In a flash of brilliance, he used and coupled the device to some sort of stasis chamber, and transferred his mind into some sort of energy being capable of interfering with computers and machinery. He transferred himself to hat station. He wanted revenge against the people that made the decision not to help them, and creates the terrorist organization that serves his purpose. He recruits men and woman from different stellar powers. They do not know for whom they work, but they will fight for the cause to the dead. Most of them are connected in some sort to losses during the Borg assault or the dominion war. At the end they succeeded at stopping the organization but found out that he saved 30 children when he first activated the alien device. He transported them out but the systems overloaded and where destroyed. He only knows that they were transported safely into the far reaches of the Beta Quadrant. The Crew transfers to a damaged starship Prometheus Class “USS Tiberius”
*To the Rescue (Season 5): The crew and one ship got transported to the far reaches of the Beta Quadrant in an attempt to find the children. At the end they find the lost children and confronted an xenophobic stellar power known as the Lorni. The captain of the ship losses his wife in the process. They sacrified the starship in the final battle and where trasported back to the Alien starbase.
*The Search (Season 6): The crew gets home from the Beta Quadrant and gets reinstated. The Captain gets promoted to rear Admiral and the XO becomes the new captain. They are personally called back to the Delta Quadrant by the emperor of the Randiari. There the crew transfer to a sovereign class starship “USS Potemkin”. They have troubles with an exeptional and aggressive alien race called the Miltarin Empire. During a scientific exploration mission of the underwater dimension they found an ancient Randairi submarine that hold an artifact. The captains wife first child from another relation got sapped by the device and gets transformed. The device is some sort of prophesy that foretells the end of the underwater world and the search for a new home. The underwater station got hit by an enormous pressure wave, that repeats itself on an increasing manner. The crew must find a new home that can house an entire population while confronting the Miltarin. They have different encounters with their Nemisis of the Miltarin Empire Count Iknoto Brunantu. The count is a very charismatic politisian and a tactical genius. The Miltarin have a sort of therapy that allows eternal life by siphoning the life out of living people. He was the inventor of this technology. During the season he became the Emperor of the Miltarine Empire by a genius plan. The crew worked together with the daugther of Emperor Countess Lingalin Brunantu (Miltarin Ambasador on the Starbase) and a civicl war broke out. The crew found out that he is a merge of a miltaring with another entity: This entity is the brother of Q that was punished for conducting illegal experiments for optaining more power. He was senteced to death. But his brother must carry out the punishement. He agreed but didn’t kill him but instead he stripped him of his powers made him mortal. He made sure the rest of the Q empire could’nt trace him and dumped him on a planet. He retained his knowledge and created a way to become eternal by transphering his soul and knowledge to other bodies. He was revered as god on multiple worlds for thousands of years. During his brutal reign he started to research a way to become a Q again. Finally he created a technology to harvest life energy and stored it in batteries. This energy can also be used to live longer. If he harvested enough he could transform again in a Q and when he has even more energy he can be even more powerfull that the Q themself. The people revolted against there god during a body transfer. There his soul and memory was stored in an arficated that was burried by the people because they couldn’t destroy it. million of years later the briliant scientists Ignoto found the artifact and actived it by accident. The artifact transfered the essence and soul of the brother of Q. But the device malfunctioned because of old age, and only part of the transfer was completed. As a result he became a mrge of two entities. Ignoto changed over the years and and became the rultless Emperor he is known for. He introduced the eternal life energy without knowing its true meaning. The crew worked together with the daugther of Emperor Countess Lingalin Brunantu (Miltarin Ambasador on the Starbase) when her mother died and send her a message. She suspect something was wrong with the count 800 years ago before Lingalin was even born. They go on a secret mission behind enemy lines and found out the truth. But Ignoto also found out the truth in the process. He regained the memory of the true meaning and location of the life siphoning technology “Zariz’Rus Expanse”, and escaped. The Zariz’Rus Expanse is a very unstable regoin of space was created in the time of the Iconians. It seams tthat the mortal bother of Q resided for some time with them, and he was even responsable for some of there technological advances. He was kicked out by them and left in the expanse. With this knowledge Lingalin became the offical leader of the Miltarin. The civil war was not over and Ignoto continues the fight and starts his search of the lost batteries of Life energie to become a Q or even geater. The crew found a new home just in time like the prophecy said. There new base of operation is a Disone sphere. They used the starbase USS Alexandria to lure the Emperor and his forces and detonated it together with several subspace explosives. His forces were defeated but his ship escapes.
*The Sphere (Season 7, Started End of February 2020 but was interupted by the Covid crisis): The crew must investigate the sphere and it surroundings. They must find out the location of these energy batteries before Ignoto does. The Sphere lies in the unstable region known as the Zariz’Rus Expanse.

1 Like

My players were crewing the Refitted USS Stargazer (Constellation class), exploring the Shackleton Expanse.

We’re currently using the
USS Cryptid:
Buran Class: Command Dreadnought/ Long Range Reconnaissance Science Vessel
Crew: 350
Length: 446M
Width: 204M
Height: 85M
Decks: 14

Very deep space Exploration. Currently exploring the depths of the Alpha Quadrant. Galactic “West” heading Galactic ‘North West’ Past the Breen and Cardassia, up towards the Gamma Quadrant. There’s a LOT of area there uncharted.

The Cryptid was one of the test beds for the (new)Buran class and was a little jInky due to it. The crew prefers the term “Eclectic”. The Captaincy was given to our Captain, more or less as ‘half punishment/half promotion’. She was a bit of a thorn in Starfleet Command’s side so they gave her the some what jinky ship and a crew more or less of “Misfits”. The crew is incredibly varied, with what most would consider a shockingly small number of humans. Once the ship was staffed with the misfits and rejects she was sent on a very deep space exploration mission. Again, more or less to ‘Get that ship and crew out of our hair’. There’s no Fleet command on this Buran Class, Those areas were converted for more detailed exploration, cataloging strange new things, mapping etc. (Note, that while the ship is staffed by a varied crew and many are considered misfits, this is -not- a comedic game. It’s played like a normal Star Trek game. Command discipline etc still exists with slightly more ‘give’ around the edges. If you’ve read the Titan series, a bit like that, but… more so, and minus most of the humans.)

We ‘play’ the Beta shift. So there’s higher ranking officers “Above” us. We know that on all the shows and the movies the Captain, First officer and all the department heads beam down and get in trouble/shot at/ in trouble. In ours the Department heads and Captain tend to stay on the ship and send the ‘next tier’ out into danger when required. Which is the Player Characters. we think this is more realistic, and also has us ‘in the chain of command’ with out just being 100% the top level of the ship in all areas.

Captain is of the Quatch species, a specie I created a while back and pops up in our games. (Example is my avatar here)
Executive Officer: XO: First Officer: Caitian, Female
Nightside XO: Human, Male

Alpha shift:
Tactical: Andorian-Zhen: Female
—Security: Ursinoid: Male
Operations: Trill(Unjoined): Female
Conn: Jaylah(The species not the character): Female
Science: Ktarian: Female
Engineering: Vulcan: Male
Medical: Kelpien: Male (Day shift)
—Counselor: Aenar: Female/ Selenean: Female

Beta Shift:
Tactical: S’Ti’Ach: Male
—Security: Procylonian: Male
Operations: Suliban: Female
Conn: Orion: Female
Science: Aurelian: Female
Engineering: Augment: Female
Medical: Kelpien: Male(Day), Hermat: Hermaphrodite (Night)
— Counselor: Aenar: Female/ Selenean: Female

Gamma Shift:
Tactical: Teenaxi: Male
—Security: Pahkwa-thaanh: Female
Operations: Edosian: Male
Conn: Ex-B (Ex-Borg, previously Zaldan): Female
Science: Romulan: Female
Engineering: Brikar: Male
Medical: Hermat: Hermaphrodite (Night)

(The Medical Officer on duty works a 12 hour shift. So they only have two ‘day’ and ‘night’, and Counselor’s are ‘on duty’ when needed, day or night. )

2 Likes

My players ship:
USS Kurosawa
Akira Class
Mulirole explorer
Player Crew:

• Lonestra Nelan: Betazoid Ship Counselor
  • Spiff Landcrusher Human Veteran Pilot
  • Tur Bin Kelboss Tellarite Head engineer
  • John Crate Head Security
    Very Occasional players
  • Vulcan XO
  • Vulcan Chief medical Officer
    Notable NPC
  • Raoul Volfoni Human Veteran Ship Captain
  • Leod Mac Trill Science Officer
    They make extended use of recurring support characters. They all have talents and many Determination too

Ship Talents

• Adapttive Armor
  • Rapid Fire Torpedoes Systems
  • Extensive Shuttlebay
  • Quantum Torpedoes
  • Improved Hull (Yes a 8 resistance, Do you feel lucky punk?)
    Bought talents by Arc Milestones
  • Secondary Reactors (Engineer)
  • Fast Targeting System ( Head Security)
    Acquired traits and Talents
  • EMH (the pleague of Arias), since they have done very well and because they negotiated the installation of a copy during the play, they keep the sexy short skirt EMH from TOS Doctor Nostrum at the end
  • During Entropy’s Demise, they gain the Tachyon Detectors trait
  • Prototype, Expanded Connectivity: The Pleague of Arias was far more painful because of a Big Brother system all over the ship and on the characters, they manage to dismantle Big Brother and Quadrant transmission after the scenario conclusion and restore their mission profile , They get rid of the Expanded Sensor footprint but kept prototype and the Talent
  • A special session during Entropy Demise: 2 players tried to help the poor child that aged physically with hologram and holodeck. They succeed (critical rolls on the rolls but at the same time they roll tons and tons of complications (after 40 threat points I stop counting the result was an IA, that will later take the name of Roger that exists in the ship but also in the child brain. Several session later they realized the problem, the IA was in all the ship. Since then the Ship Councillor literally counsels the ship. I have high hopes for the new Discovery’s season IA ideas.
1 Like

My players are exploring the Black Cluster aboard the Arcadia-class USS Lyonesse in 2295. The Arcadia is a light cruiser counterpart to the refit Constitution, based loosely on Bill Krause’s Shangri-La-class.

The Black Cluster is the blob off the NW tip of the Federation in the Alpha Quadrant (and where LaForge’s mother will go missing a few decades later). I’ve re-visualised it as a weird dark nebula serving as a spawning ground for giant space-going creatures. There are gigantic alien intelligences and a lost Vulcan survey vessel to look out for.

2 Likes

Astronut, do you mind if I make my own fanmade STA-rules copy of the Arcadia-class for my starships database? I think the Arcadia-class is just that awesome. :sunglasses:

I’ll be sure to include citations for Intermundia and its Starfleet Archives in the write-up. I’ll copy and paste your fluff/description (with some edits of my own) into my write-up and I’ll provide a link for everyone to a PDF of this ship on my GoogleDocs. Just give me the go-ahead.

1 Like

Our campaign started in late 2410 on board the USS Trident, a Sovereign Class that’s about 40 years young and getting retired soon. She was pulled out of retirement due to events from the Iconian War and it was quickly discovered that she needed a massive overhaul. Decorated during the Dominion War and the short lived Klingon War in the early 2370s.
Once retired they’ll be moving to an Endeavour variant of the Odyssey Class.

What made you choose that class of ship? I wanted something strong and resilient but old enough that it gives me an excuse to make the ship for the first time players. So far my players are showing how deadly they are in combat… Need to up my npcs to compensate at this rate.

1 Like