Star Trek Picard/Discovery

Allamaraine, count to four; Allamaraine, then three more… *starts singing*

1 Like

To be fair, I did mention that one as one of the clunkers :slight_smile:

unless it’s lowerdecks

One of these days I’ll have to write up why “Move Along Home” is a great episode and a great example of a RPG adventure for a new campaign.

4 Likes

Oh, it’s probably great for a campaign. And it’s a good episode. Apart from the singing, that is. :slight_smile:

But, for obvious reasons, I completely disagree with your assessment, will tell you that you’re completely wrong about it, 'cause it would be awful and destroy STA as a whole for everybody and the world.

Please mind the irony, thanks. :wink:

And now: prove me wrong. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a good episode for a RPG.

But, I can’t help thinking that a scenarist somewhere thought that he could speak french and instead of Marelle (hopscotch) understood Marine. Perhaps, the same guy that made Picard drink tea instead of coffee (at least he likes wine…)

Well, there’s some funny thing about Picard: Stewart does give him a distinct english accent (or so they say), yet it is another one than Stewart himself speaks. But when Data makes a comment about French being an ‘obscure’ language, he frowns upon that. :slight_smile:

I may stick with TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT for my campaign canon, I watched the 1st season of discovery it didn’t feel like a star trek show to me, not much uplifting or inspiring for me in the show, and from the reviews of Picard I’m afraid to watch it, and the lower decks trailer was embarrassing to watch how did star trek become a stoner cartoon I’ll never know.

So in my campaign I’ll treat an materiel from those shows as a bad holo-novel written by one of the many emergency medical holograms inspired by Voyagers hologram’s novel he wrote about the crew in season 7 episode 19 called Author, Author. Where he over exaggerated is struggle to be accepted by the crew distorting the image of everyone in the crew.

One of the strange things about the Star Trek universe is you can rewrite history or threw time travel or have the campaign exist in a parallel universe were most everything is identical accept for the things you find to odd or not so interesting. As long as the Department of Temporal Investigations doesn’t get to upset by the changes, or the Temporal Integrity Commission.

That would be interesting to be recruited by the Temporal Integrity Commission to repair the Kelvin timeline, those were cool looking movies but pretty much killed the canon of the series that came before. As confusing as time travel stories tend to be, the canon of star trek has always been very flexible.

I know there fans the like the new shows, but I’m just not quite there yet.

2 Likes

First, I would say, give Lower Decks a try, even if it is through the lens of a holo-novel. I wasn’t sure of it myself (even after the cold open). I wasn’t a fan of the art style (Rick and Morty meet Star Trek), but by the end of the episode, I ended up enjoying it. You can tell that the team behind this are fans.

But yeah, even I view it as Star Trek’s version of, say M*A*S*H or the like.

1 Like

I’ve only seen a few bits and pieces of Lower Decks, which is to say that I’ve seen the one bit on YouTube where the U.S.S. Titan pulls a Big Damn Heroes for the U.S.S. Cerritos. I laughed my @$$ off when I saw that and I can’t wait until May when Season 1 of LD comes out on BluRay. Star Trek as a comedy? That’s certainly worth reserving judgment until I actually see it.

1 Like

I may have to give Lower Decks a try at some point, guess its taking me awhile to get into the new trek.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d agree with Sans - definitely worth giving Lower Decks a shot. I’m not a fan of Discovery either, but I thought LD was great. Picard had its ups and downs, although I loved the parts that took place on Nepenthe and overall I’m looking forward to the second season.

2 Likes

In another Thread I have suggested the USS Reboot as Temporal Division ship of Walker Class, obviously, that tries to prevent Kelvin Timeline, but unsuccessfully prevent Walker, Charmed and Spiderman reboots, at least from now

• Lower Decks a star trek comedy show that’s not so bad except drawings
  • Discovery: Imho, season 1 was perfectible as are many season 1 of any series. I didn’t like season 2 at all but I have to admit thar I liked season 3
  • Picard: my season 1 comment applies. The context is good and I ike Picard and 7of9 anyway.
  • if you want a Time Division campaign, you MUST watch El Miniterio del Tiempo where a Spanish Ministry try to keep Spanish empire as it is. It’s fun, well written and even if it’s not space opera it deals many time travel problems
1 Like

Of course, being the department of temporal investigations, it’ll probably go wrong and be the actual cause of the timeline split!

As soon as you start playing, you’re creating a parallel universe. May as well pick and choose which elements you want to include in it

1 Like