‘RPG Pop Club’ Podcast

Hey, everyone! I just thought I would let you know I’m doing a podcast with my group. Right now we are playing and reviewing all the Star Trek modules. We’ve just wrapped up our first “season” of ten episodes plus a special. We’re having a blast!

I didn’t want to post weekly about this because we’re not using STA rules, and we’re not playing STA modules yet (we will get there!); still, it’s not a rules podcast, and maybe you’re of the same mindset as me, that any of these adventures can be converted to any ruleset.

And while we are currently playing through Star Trek modules, we hope over time to cover a wide variety of IPs, some of which are also Modiphius-supported properties. Hope you come along for the ride!

Episode 1: The Shuttlecraft Crash

Episode 2: The Slaver Ruins

Episode 3: Ghosts of Conscience

Episode 4: Again, Troublesome Tribbles

Episode 5: In the Presence of My Enemies

Episode 6: The Drifting Ring

Episode 7: Hazards of Space

Episode 8: The Vanished

Episode 9: Witness for the Defense

Episode 10: Denial of Destiny

Special Episode: Michael Scott Interview

We cap off our first season with a lovely interview with Michael Scott, author and designer of the RPG ruleset we use: Star Trek: Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier (1978, Heritage Games). “Scotty” gave us a unique look into early Star Trek fan culture and the early RPG hobby, including personal anecdotes about Franz Joseph, Dave Arneson, Larry Niven, James Doohan, Lou Zocchi, Robert A. Heinlein, and Poul Anderson! RPG Pop Club

2 Likes

Cool! I don’t think I would have found this podcast if you didn’t post about it here. Looking forward to giving it a listen.

I see several FASA scenario titles there. Are you using the FASA Star Trek RPG? Or something else?

@LeonardMcCoy

1 Like

Yeah, since we are playing ALL published Star Trek tabletop RPG scenarios, a good chunk of them (50+ by my count) were written for the FASA ruleset. I’m not using that ruleset, more a light / old school homebrew based on the 1978 rules, though I’m inspired by FASA as well as STA in many ways.

1 Like

@Falconer Are you setting all of them in the TOS era, will you use the characters of that era also in ENT or TNG era adventures (or DIS/PIC, when Modiphius has released adventures in these eras) or will you have different characters for each era? :slight_smile:

Fun times! Once you get to STA, you’ll have plenty of content. I think we’re over 50 published adventures so far with more to come (not counting the mission briefs).

@MisterX If and when we get to the TNG-era modules (and we have talked about it), it will definitely be with separate characters and ships, and fully set in the TNG era.

Not sure about ENT. I believe there’s really only one so far?. Perhaps it could be a holodeck simulation run by the TNG crew? :wink:

Actually, you’re right! I thought there’d be more, but… there aren’t! Only “a cure worse than the disease” in Strange New World is originally set in the ENT era.

I love the idea of a holodeck adventure. :slight_smile:

Well I caught up with the podcast, listened to them all. Sometimes its kind of hard to follow what you all are talking about, but in general I understand the format you’re going with and have enjoyed them.

It seems like… sometimes you pull clips from your game sessions but also have post-recorded commentary mixed in with what was going on? Those parts are confusing so its not always easy to just follow along with how it played or how the session went vs your post-game review or thoughts about how it went. But maybe I’m wrong? A clearer separation of segments might help if my assumption is correct. Looking forward to the next episode.

Yeah, I tried listening but between the in-jokes, not being able to tell who was speaking at any given time, and jumping in and out of the game it was too difficult to follow. I didn’t make it to the end of the first one. Was there a review of the adventure module at the end?

Yeah, I tried listening but between the in-jokes, not being able to tell who was speaking at any given time, and jumping in and out of the game it was too difficult to follow. I didn’t make it to the end of the first one. Was there a review of the adventure module at the end?

Yes they do a review of the adventure at the end of each episode, usually give it a rating out of 10, whether it was fun or not, stuff like that.

1 Like