Pre-order pdf through stores?

As the pdf doesn’t need a print run it won’t be available for preorder
But it will be available to buy as soon as its been send out to preorder customers.
However, the pdf comes free with all the bundle deals and (I think) any corebook preorder so it may be worth dipping into hardcopy :slight_smile:

Andy, I’ve now read the email Modiphius sent and it mentions a 80-page preview PDF. Those are great news. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The preorder announcement email mentions that a code for the PDF version will be in the back of each physical book. Then it says retail pre-orders before 1/15/21 can also get a PDF when they are sent out to all customers.

Does that mean retail pre-orders need to send a proof of order to Modiphius to get an early full PDF, or do they still just wait until the physical copies are out and then just redeem the code in the back?

Fair question. I’ll have to check how we do that with our webstore wizards.

Fear not. The team will have your details when you preorder,
and you’ll automatically get a pdf token as soon as they are available.
If you get the book in retail once its out, you’ll find a sticker in the back with a code to claim your pdf.

So once you have ordered, you don’t need to do anything else, its all in the system.

1 Like

I appreciate the quick reply! Just wanted to make sure that if we ordered from an LGS or Amazon, that we could still get the PDF when it was ready, as opposed to waiting until release date.

1 Like

I’m really disappointed that there doesn’t appear to be an option to have the books on Ridulan crystal paper.

I mean, come on, guys! Just because it won’t be invented for 20,000 years is no excuse.

1 Like

Obviously thats been an option for the role playing elite for some time now.
Its just that we don’t release it to anyone but the nobles of each House. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a bit of a complication for a GM like me. I respect and at times have referenced pre-planned adventures provided by game developers for many of the same reasons you have listed. With that said, I am not a GM that walks the beaten path. I have absolutely zero intention of running my game in the intended setting or time. I don’t want to explore the universe of Dune in Paul’s time, as the outcome is (at least in my mind) fixed. I’ve seen that part of the story, I want to write my own little bit of it somewhere else. I don’t say that to be contrary, or to imply that I do not understand and empathize with the time constraints other GM’s have to operate under. I just know that for any game I run, as an individual, I need to invest in my own stories in order to express my own creativity.

And I will confess up front that I am hesitant to commit too deeply to this latest incarnation of Dune, beyond the core rulebook I have already bought, if it shackles me into buying campaign book after campaign book where I am paying 100% of the shelf price just to access the 10% of the content that addresses rule revisions, new equipment, or class changes. As much as I loved the Rifts setting from Palladium, they taught me (and my wallet) a hard lesson.

I understand this is a business, and that good business decisions must have a role to play if a good product in a setting I love is to survive past infancy in a crowded market. I understand that the developers and artists have invested themselves in crafting a fine product that delivers both sound mechanics and rich aesthetic. From what I have seen in the preview PDF you gave done a fine job on both counts. I just wish there was more flexibility in buying options for the variety of GM’s. Some people want pre-generated content, others want to build their own. We live in a day and age when you can offer both solutions.

I wish I could buy PDF’s of JUST the mechanical rule changes, setting descriptions, new equipment, or class change stuff. I’d be perfectly willing to pay for it in bits and pieces, as long as they are the bits and pieces I actually care about. I abhor being forced to pay for content I have no intention of using simply to get what I fee I need.

I want to, again, emphasize that these are flights of fantasy that reflect only my own opinion. I suffer under no assumption that I speak for anyone other than myself, and harbor no expectation that my desires as a single customer take precedence over a company’s need to market their product to broadest range of customers available. Thanks for hearing me out.

I’d offer that’s the beauty of RPGs, you can take them where you like.
I’m not sure there is a beaten path for GMs, and I also find published adventures are a useful starting point to embellish and adapt.
We’re planning to address all the eras of the Dune setting eventually, and the current setting of the Imperium will last a while before we move into Paul’s era.

I expect there may come a time when we can order books by chapter,
that would be pretty cool.
I felt a similar thing with the FFG Star Wars books, It’d be nice to just get the setting not the rules again with each book. But when I looked at them, the rules that applied to all the three settings weren’t that big a part.

We may look at posting what are the changes to the rules are, if we can dig them out. But that will also depend on which version of 2D20 you are coming from.
Like Cortex, each one is a little different, but we do offer a quick note in the corebook for experienced 2D20’ers.

You will get a lot more than 10% use out of the book though. Most of the book applies to every setting and so its only the actual setting chapter that might be less use. I hope you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how useful you find it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have to disagree with the poster asking to only buy the content he/she wants.
I hope Modiphius never adopts the F2P/DLC model for its products, like what a certain large gaming company is doing for their well-known fantasy RPG’s online content.

“You want the stats for the giant sandworm? Okay, that will be £10 please.”
“Crysknife weapon stats? We have a special promo, only £3.99.”

No thanks!

Is there a digital-only bundle? For my poor eyes, I prefer the backlit screen for reading.

We’ve not done a digital bundle as its just the corebook and gm screen on pdf. But they will both be available to buy separatly, and do come free with most of the bundles… :slight_smile:

This looks fantastic. I’d love to pre-order with my local store to support them – Is there any estimate of when the books would be available for regular retail in the US?

Thanks,
Brad/tempus42.

So do I see it correctly that you get all data from all stores that allow us to preorder?

I have ordered at a german store because I wanted to have the corrino version. So I should have access to the preview already, or shouldn’t I? Do I miss something?

I do not see that working with GDPR even within the EU, not talking about the UK once it quits, but well.

1 Like

I don’t think we get any data from stores except how many copies of anything they are ordering from us
(and that is probably through a distributer anyway)

I’ve asked about how you can get the preview through retail and Amazon as I’m not sure of the system there. I’ll hopefully have an answer when everyone is back from the holiday feast! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I just pre-ordered through GameNerdz a store that has a website and did a pre-order for the Dune Core Book and the GM Kit.

Can you please tell me how it works for getting my pre-order pdf and eventually the full pdf? It is very important to me that these are available to me as part of my purchase. The most important thing of all actually.

Covid has really hurt businesses across the world. I wanted to make sure I was supporting GameNerdz during this difficult time but at the same time, if the PDFs are not on option ordering through them then i might have to re-consider and cancel with them.

Hi Andy,

Andy idea when that holiday feast will be over for the relevant people?

I’m not sure on that one. I don’t know if there is a system in place for delivering the preview to non-Modiphius sales.
But I’ll chat to the team and see if there is an option.

If there is no system, you should establish one, because if I may cite your own website:

Those who sign up to the Dune tabletop roleplaying game pre-order will be able to claim a PDF preview of the core rulebook before the Spring launch and the pre-order will be available through local retailers as well as the Modiphius webstore.

And additionaly to that: I am very hyped to get the preview into my hands :slight_smile: