New preview article up

There is a new preview article up. It shows what looks to be a Dragonborn character board. Here is the link.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/2/20895171/elder-scrolls-skyrim-miniatures-game-preview

2 Likes

couple of mistakes in it such as James Sheahan made the game

That dashboard has a lot going on, including the labels on the sides to slot in additional stuff.

Characters being able to have equipment, perks, spells, and shouts seems like a lot. I imagine the dashboard shown is going to be for a smaller number of hero level characters or something.

I’m sure the game will be great. But I was kind of hoping that this one would be a little less crunchy than Wasteland Warfare. If the dashboard is any indication, the opposite may be true.

Bit worried that the card comes with cost, if we have learned anything from FO:WW it’s that costs need to be looked at regularly

2 Likes

I noticed that - also that Modiphius started with the Thunderbirds boardgame rather than the Achtung Cthulhu RPG.
Nice to finally see a unit/character card though, even if it does look a little more complex than F:WW ones.

I think for hero characters it doesn’t look too bad personally. If it was trying to do that for every model in a game designed for large scale battles then yeah it would be way too much, but for a game where you realistically might only have one hero character and a side kick in your force I quite like the idea of having a fair bit of depth to them. Just my thoughts anyway :slight_smile:

I second this. As an X-Wing player we had the costs on cards on V1 and adjustments were complicated. Today in V2 there are no points on cards but just on a PDF (and their app for easy squad building). This system allows to really adjust everything very smoothly.

Of course we’ll have to wait and see. Some of our impressions could be off base. This could be an earlier prototype. The caption says it is a “sideboard for the Dragonborn hero”, which could mean that these dashboards are limited to only “heroes”, “Dragonborn”, or otherwise major characters. It could be that this is only used for specific modes of play, etc. It is hard to imagine what else the cost part could be, if not for list building though.

2 Likes

The only other thing I can think of is that it is the cost to recruit the Dragonborn hero. It could be that since the game is supposed to be more narrative driven, it costs gold to recruit units into your army, and that the amount of gold is different from their value for list building. I do however think that it is far more likely that it is for list building.

I think that it is too early to judge. The card may be less complicated than it looks and I am not sure that it looks particularly complicated in the first place. I note that a former Games Workshop employee is involved, which does worry me a little, as GW makes overly bloated, convoluted, and complex rules, so I hope that this will not be the case and that the rules stick closely to Fallout Wasteland Warfare, which plays very well and is fast.