Looking for developer to take over the online character tool

As my available time for working with the online tools has diminished slowly over the years, and now getting to near impossible constraints, I would love it if someone could take over the development of the online tools (Star Trek, Infinity, Conan and Mutant Chronicles).

Knowledge needed: Typescript + React + HTML5 + CSS3

4 Likes

I’ve spread you request to some friends of mine that might be interested

Hmm. I had been planning to create a small D&D Beyond-style desktop/web character creation app for Star Trek Adventures, alongside my implementation for Foundry VTT. However, I don’t have the resources to work on all of the 2d20 games, and I’m not sure as to the legality of that.

Have you considered to release the code to the public, e.g. on github/gitlab/sourceforge/…?

I have no idea on the licensing implications, but open source development might ease development. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That is not a bad idea actually.

2 Likes

Are the different online tools based on a shared codebase?

I’d be willing to help out, but I only ever really use the Trek tool. I’m a full-stack developer, professionally, and while I’m probably better with back-ends than the front-end tech that you list, above, I’ve used all of those tools on projects.

BC

As the developer for several 2d20 rulesets for Fantasy Grounds, its our intention to stand up character generators for Conan, Star Trek, John Carter, and others.

We were planning on building some sort of interface to the existing gens, but that never panned out.

Perhaps we can work something out.

Steve Albany
Nerd Eye Industries, LLC.

1 Like

Web Nerd here. I would be happy to help out.

1 Like

+1

Web developer by day.

Conan: https://github.com/azjerei/Conan2d20
Conan is only missing the Kull source material.

Infinity: https://github.com/azjerei/Infinity2d20
Infinity is missing a lot…

Star Trek: https://github.com/azjerei/StarTrek2d20
Not sure if anything is missing per se.

Don’t mind the dirty code. Made these from the same template which was created before I got the hand of React and Typescript :wink:

5 Likes

Will you release the code for MC3 too ?

Yes, but ran out of time yesterday.

1 Like

So I’ve taken a look at the Infinity character generator because it needs the most work, I think I’ve implemented the Youth and Adolescence events for ALEPH, but I’m a coding novice so I’mma need all the help I can get :slight_smile: . If people’d like to lend a hand Shoot me a friend request on Discord (@LadyLuck#2596 ) and we’ll see what we can cook up :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Added you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d be interested in helping support this project. I’m a React developer and familiar with Typescript (we use JavaScript at work but there’s a movement to switch). I don’t think I make the best looking interfaces but more practice would probably be good for me :smiley:

2 Likes

Sorry for necro but…
As you may have noticed Infinity, Conan, Star Trek and Mutant Chronicles Character creator tools haven’t been up since tuesday.
Was / Is there anybody able to handle said tools and take over them?

And ideally, would it be an idea for the architecture of the generator to be as generic as possible to encompass all the 2d20 RPGs easily?
So one generator architecture framework and then only some instances for MC3, Infinity, Conan, STA, A!C, etc.

STA character generator has been open sourced and taken over to develop by one fabulous @bcholmes. Follow this thread in the forums.

Since the generator is open source, it is at least theoretically possible to generalise it and use it for different flavours of 2d20.

All the creators’ original code is on github, here: https://github.com/azjerei. As noted above, the Star Trek one has been taken over and is currently in active development; not sure about the others, but you could theoretically do it yourself. (The current Star Trek readme has a better description than the others of how to get your own version to a webpage, so you should be able to at least follow its steps to get the current code for any of them up on a website: https://github.com/bcholmes/StarTrek2d20/tree/sta-complete.)

I would be somewhat interested in how a generic one would work. I assume that the creators are all reasonably similar, given that they were originally developed by the same person, but I strongly suspect there’s a lot more than just a reskin from system to system. I haven’t read the rules for anything other than Star Trek, so I don’t really know.

It definetly is.

Just some random examples: Achtung!Cthulhu uses “Ammo” (or sth. like that) as an “additional” (in comparison to STA) resource for certain weapon functions/salvos. Dune does not use Challenge Dice, at all. Conan uses extensive armor-zone rules and distinguishes physical/mental stress, and features a “classical” (in terms of e.g. D&D) skill list.

And these are just “obvious” differences. While Infinity character sheets look a bit like Conan ones and Homeworld character sheets presents info alike to the ones of Star Trek Adventures, there most certainly are various differences. And I haven’t looked at character creation, yet.