Inhuman Brawn and other attributes

Hi guys, I was making some new foes to test some things, and came to the realization that I’m still confused about Inhuman Attribute, most specifically - Inhuman Brawn.
What is better/higher? Brawn 16, Brawn 15(1), Brawn 14(2)? When should a creature have Inhuman Attribute, and when it should be simply a high value? Seeing all the foes in the books that I have access to, I’m yet to see a Brawn value higher than 16, so I guess it is sort of a “soft limit”.
Thanks!

Have you noticed that the Inhuman value translates to an automatic Success for that Attribute? In other words, Inhuman Brawn 2 means the character has earned two Successes before even rolling. Also the bonus Damage and Vigor that is the usual result of high Brawn.

Yes, Gebir, is exactly about this - Inhuman Brawn gives some advantages over “common Brawn”, but there are some disadvantage, as it don’t increse the Skill Roll, and it don’t factor into encumbrance, so we have two systems for “high strength” creatures that functions with some minor differences.
A Frost Giant has Brawn 13(1), while Conan has Brawn 14, so, while the Frost Giant hits harder, and, in a contest of Brawn, will generally win, Conan can carry more weight before being slowed down, and has about 5% more chance of success for each d20 rolled. So, again, the same question, who is supposed to be stronger, Conan, or the Frost Giant?
When should I give one creature Inhuman Attribute, and when I should just use a higher base value?

1 Like

@Rossi
thanks for that explanation showing i’ve been doing it wrong! But that parenthased system sucks for vtt calculations.
I’m gonna have to go back and edit all of my roll20 npcs b/c i increased the stats stats by its inhuman rating.
no, truly, thanks for that.

1 Like

There’s no right/wrong answer to this. Its about the efefct you want in your game. I’d suggest ‘inhuman’ if for non-human creatures, though, wh you want to hit hard and get more successes. Monstrous foes whose encumberance nobody cares about.

1 Like

Thanks guys.
Ghastenbor, now that you said, I looked back and I didn’t see a single instance of an human character with Inhuman Attribute… so I guess it is easier than I though: if it is monstruous, and stronger than it looks, it should have inhuman Brawn.

1 Like

As a GM you can alter the rules as you see fit. If you think a Frost giant should be able to carry more, then it will carry more. As for attacks, It’s big and may be slow, thus may not hit harder, just that its large size has more surface area to hit things with, thus Inhuman strength gives it an advantage of hitting.