Gameplay and Rules FAQ

Got an enchantment that has the fortify term. Where do I go to find the explanation for all these type of terms?

Regarding Wilderness and Stronghold cards, when there is both a skill test and an associated personal quest, do you need to succeed at the skill test to get the personal quest? Or do you always have the option to take it, even if you fail?

Regarding Quest #241, the objective text is “Resist your doppelganger. S54 = diamond.” Does this mean that you always add a diamond to your Magicka test result if you have S54 in your inventory? Or do you have to return S54 to the deck to gain the diamond?

Thanks.

Hi,
I have a question about the bretons ability to get two extra septims: “When selling any item, get additional two septims”
To me it seems like this can be exploited to get an infinite amount of septims by accessing the market for one septim, buying the first item and then selling it again for two septims more. This will generate a profit of one septim each time and since I can’t find an explicit limitation in the rules of how many times one may access the market or sell items, nothing prevents the exploit. The only thing which could be a hint that it’s supposed to be limited is: “…they must draw all cards from the same deck” as mentioned in “Visiting the market”. Does this mean that we can only access the market once to buy items or is there only one action allowed at the market in total?
If that problem is not resolved by the market rules than there is not just an exploit for the bretons ability but for all effects which enable to sell items more expensive. This is due to the rule that with legendary speech the first time we draw from the market is for free.

I hope you can clarify this soon.

Thanks a lot and best wishes!
Hakon

the rules say “Players cannot spend Stamina or Magicka to Push when rolling for Sneaking or disarming a trap” but can I push with health or can you just not push sneak and traps?

Turns out it has been answered a while ago on the gamefound page:

“You can sell an item, and then buy another item in the same turn. The only thing here is that you can only biuy things once. You need to choose a Market, and then commit to buying from that Market. Upgrading, selling and acquiring Components are things you can do as many things as you want.
If you’re a Breton, and you are in Riften, Windhelm or Solitude, you can sell any item for +3 Gold. In that case, yes, you can take the strategy you mention, and buy things, and then sell them for a profit… You would get a profit of up to 2 Gold. To turn that into a real fortune, you would need to stay put, just buying and selling items every turn, rather than going out completing quests and facing dungeons.”

What happens in the campaign game if you run out of event cards?

I have a question about items:

Steel Helmet states that you gain a bonus to maximum stamina.

How do you apply that in game? Do I move the stamina cube higher on the track? that would push it past my stamina level limit?

I have found the Lockpicking tools in the Path of the Shadow deck (5 septims) and they give you a die against traps, but the normal Lockpicking tools, the basic treasure item, give you 2 dice against traps and they cost 2 septims if I remember.
Could it be a mistake? It is too weird.

You move the marker on your character track to +1 stamina. It does mean you can end up removing monsters from the game as a part of dungeons now.

I think the reasoning here is that you ‘always’ have access to the shadow deck so you can gain access to these tools if you want them. The others from the basic treasure is random so you’re less likely to get them during a play. Flavor wise: Thieves are over charging you (probably)

:sweat_smile: Even thinking that, why do you get more dice with a cheaper tool? And they have the same name

Hi,

One question please. What does “crafting 2” mean on an equipment card?

For example, the longbow, written between the circle with the gold cost and the circle with the soul gem and ore cost, it says “crafting 2” and has the ore symbol. What does that denote?

Many thanks,
Dave

You can craft ‘basic’ equipment in towns. I think you can do that as a ‘shopping’ action. I think it’s in the rules somewhere but I don’t have book handy to check where.

Hello, I’ve been struggling with several rules for gameplay and not finding clear and concise answers without going to Board game geek (BGG) several times and asking questions and reading others questions and responses.

Is there a Rules FAQ PDF and/or a Rules Reference PDF guide that I can be directed to or that can be created to help?

I’ve played 1 player, 2 player and 3 player and completed only Campaign 1 Chapter 1 for each, and lots of questions. It would really help to have what I’m asking above.

I also saw a thread in BGG that said the four small summarized/cheat sheet cards have the combat section wrong compared to the rules in the book. Is there an updated set of these four cards?

My friends and I really like this game so far, but there is a lot to learn and remember and as I said it’s a struggle to find exactly what you’re looking for in the rule book.

Example #1: Traps are mentioned on pages 17 and 29 with slightly different wording.

Example #2: Bounties aren’t explained as well as they could be but I got a response thru BGG but we are guessing.

Example #3: Followers/Summoning - it says they can’t be killed, but can they be targeted or not at all?

Example #4: Traps and how they are handled after the initial first round of trying to lockpick them. It says it works like Sneak. But for Sneak after the first round, you are in normal combat and can push. But under Traps it says after the first round the players are then in normal combat to attack to disarm. That wording is confusing and not clear. Does that mean you can push after the first round or b/c it’s a trap that you can never push?

As I said so far we really like this game. Just a challenge understanding certain things.

Yes on page 21 it explains all the things you can when visiting the Market. Craft is one of those options mentioned. It isn’t explained as well as it could be though. It needs a little more info in my opinion. You can only do the market when on a stronghold location.

Normally when you see in the lower right corner the ore or soul gem icons, it means you can turn in that many of that resource to either upgrade or enchant.

You turn in Ore to do an upgrade. From what I’ve seen so far this will upgrade either the weapon or the armor depending on which item you’re upgrading. It will show on the right of the card for a weapon and on the bottom of the card for armor. example, I upgraded a sword and got a +2 upgrade card. So that means I do two extra damage when using this sword and that rows ability that the +2 matches with. It doesn’t mean you roll 2 extra dice.

If you turn in soul gems, you are enchanting which will be shown at the top of the enchantment card.

Crafting I’m not 100% on. I know on page 21 it mentions crafting and that it’s the regular equipment deck that you turn in the two resources shown where it says crafting. I believe you then look thru the equipment deck (the one with symbol of an anvil) and you can pick an item. I believe it has to correspond with what resource you’re turning in.

ex: I believe what it means is if it says crafting 2 and shows plants. That you would turn in 2 plants and could pick one of the available potions from this deck. If it shows ore, then it would have been a weapon or armor? And if a soul gem, I believe it would be a spell or robes? But I’m completely guessing as it’s not clearly explained how that works that I could find in the rule book.

Hey everyone.

Just a heads up that you’re going to be getting some answers to your questions. If your question isn’t answered, it is because I need to put the answer past one of the Developers to be sure.

Hey!

Sneak can be started once at the start of each Combat. So if you had a Dungeon with multiple groups of enemies, you could Sneak each group just the once - you couldn’t Sneak at each single enemy within those groups.

Hey,

Sneaking is once per dungeon encounter, at the very start.

On a similar note, disarming Traps happens once. Afterwards, you would need to fight it like any other enemy.

Hey,

It allows you to draw an additional card on the first draw when purchasing Items at the Market. It also reduces the cost of that first draw to zero.