Fallout New Vegas Expansion - First Thoughts

Hey, I can comment on the cards in new vegas as Modiphius went over what happened if you didn’t know already. Basically, they couldn’t get the usual cards printed due to logistical issues from the big C. Rather than delay the new vegas release they used a local UK manufacturer to make those cards.

Also remember that the NCR Ranger figure in question was a promo figure anyway. They just figured to use it for the Courier since the alternative was probably no Courier at all.

No, I read up on that and I understand the logic behind the decision.
I’m just saying it was still a bad decision.

Out of all available options:
-Delaying release until everything was available.
-Releasing the miniatures first and releasing the cards at a later date.
-Releasing a low-quality product that requires the customer to punch the cards out at the risk of damaging them.

It comes back to a question of quality control, did Modiphius not know about the quality of the cardstock? If they did they were reckless and cared only about the release date, if they did then did they think this was acceptable? Either way it’s not a good look.

I would have preferred no Courier.
Presuming they will release more New Vegas related content in the future, they could have released them in a pack with Ulysses and Victor, for example.

They (and Bethesda) made the call on if it was worth doing, they chose the quality was up to the minimum standard they had. Releasing unplayable content or delaying it effectively indefinably isn’t going to work well either for a business.

Out of all available options:
-Delaying release until everything was available.
-Releasing the miniatures first and releasing the cards at a later date.
-Releasing a low-quality product that requires the customer to punch the cards out at the risk of damaging them.

My take on this

1. Delaying is a fine idea, unless you want to turn a profit, pay your staff and feed your family
  2. You only need to take a quick look at the Liberty Prime thread to see how hard the players would ■■■■ the bed if you were to do this.
  3. The only option left to them. Not ideal, but unavoidable.
2 Likes

Again, they could have released the miniatures on time, put out a pdf for the cards, then released the book/cards when they were ready. Unless you’re suggesting that delaying the release of the book/cards would have been so devastating to Modiphius that it would shut the company down.

And going back to my comment on quality control…

I’ve looked at the Liberty Prime thread and all I’m seeing are legitimate criticism about an unfinished product.

No, the lack of sales it would result from releasing something unplayable for the majority of the gamers is liable to end the product line. Delaying their release schedule even more, quite possibly for years is liable to end production as chains switch over to new products.

Last I checked they had released all the cards for free on PDF for those that want to go that route. Think only the AI cards aren’t released like that.

That’s why I said they could have released the miniatures with a pdf of the book
So people can use the pieces and wait for the better quality, physical copy to come out.

I’m planning on printing all the cards out myself but it also means I paid $35 for a painting guide and 5 scenarios.

The sprue for the NCR Ranger promo figure says “Courier”, so it’s The Courier, who is dressed like an NCR Ranger. :slight_smile:

I understand that, I’m just saying I would have liked something more interesting, like Benny, but instead they released a gender-neutral figure and sell it under a different name than what’s on the sprue.

I mean in the context of New Vegas the Courier doesn’t officially join any of the factions.
If I wanted a specific faction of Courier, I could just use one of the Veteran Rangers from either the NCR Core/Ranger Patrol sets.

My personal preference would have been a Goodsprings vs Powder Gang starter set with a unique model for the Courier and then they release the opposite gendered model in a separate set, as they did with the Sole Survivor, with different stats and all.

On the card front, call me crazy but I actually very much liked the new punch-out cards! And the fact that both the Unit and AI cards for the NV factions, the NV Companions and the Nightkin(s) were all included in one pack (with missions and painting guides) was a nice touch.

Yes, the card quailty could have been better, but I wont fault Modiphius for going in a new direction - their card printer litteraly closed shop for good mid-pandemic and mid-wave.

I get the gripe on the Courier, but as an anti-WYSIWYG game the wasteland is your oyster as far as what your Courier does/doesn’t look like. I for one am a huge fan of proxying models for this very reason.

As a side note, the legacy of the Courier / NCR Promo Ranger model is a weird one.

In a chat with Jon from Modiphius he said the company had the model ready back in 2018(19?) for demos, but apporvals from Bethesda on the NV legal side of things meant they couldn’t do anything with it (so much as they had stock available at trade shows but couldn’t show it to any one).

So all the while when folks were spaming “New Vegas When?!” comments for years, the Courier was already cast and out of the mould! Not sure that helps anything, but I found it an interesting bit of behind-the-scenes trivia

3 Likes

Like I originally said the Courier miniature wasn’t a big deal for me, it was just a nick-pick compared to the other issues and ultimately I’m fine with it because it’s just an alternate Verertan Ranger model.

My concern is that it’s just one in a continuing series of lack of oversight that I’d expect from a first-time Kickstarter company. I still don’t understand why Modiphius decided it was a good idea to split the production of the miniatures and the cards to separate companies.

And a lot of people here just don’t seem to care so long as they get more miniatures to paint, but I’m not a miniatures painting hobbits.