Exomemory recall: about Skill points

Hiyas fellow travellers!

Am I handling this correctly?

When a PC gets extra Skill Points to allocate, does the player simply add them towards the max (+5) value? For instance: a skill value is currently at +2, then, with the bonus skill points, the PC adds +2 for a bump to a value of +4, correct?

This will surely break the pyramid skill scheme.

Or is there another way I haven’t perceived?

Thanks!

Any help would be awesome!

Hello? Hello? Hello?

Thanks

hey there
Help!:cry:

Haaaalp, please

Hi, RCAUTELA,
Let me try to clear your question. Do you mean that the current skills of the player look like that As in the beginning of a new character ?

+4
+3 +3
+2* +2 +2
+1 +1 +1 +1

So your question is that this player want to upgrade his +2* skill as high as he can right ? And he has 2 Skill points to allocate. (So that is Significant Milestones !)

The rules says that he can break this ‘initial’ pyramid but each skill must be supported by a lower skill. That mean that the player can upgrade its +2* skill by 1 to +3* but he will be lacking a support +1 skill in this example as shown below.

Wrong allocation :
+4
+3 +3 +3* <-- This +3* is not supported below by a +2 CANT DO !
+2 +2
+1 +1 +1 +1

So your player must first upgrade one of his skill to +2 but of course he must first upgrade a new skill to +1 to support its new +2 skill.

Here is the first step to upgrade a +2 skill to +3 :

+4
+3 +3
+2 +2 +2* <-he still want to upgrade this skill
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1<- Here he spend 1 Skill point allocation to add a new skill

As you can see he broke the pyramid rules as said in the skill avandcement rules.

Second step :
+4
+3 +3
+2 +2 +2 +2* <- One of his +1 Skill is upgraded and that cost 1 Skill point allocation. He still want to upgrade his +2* Skill.
+1 +1 +1 +1

Third step :
+4
+3 +3 +3* <- Now his +2* Skill has been upgraded and that cost 1 Skill point allocation
+2 +2 +2
+1 +1 +1 +1

To accomplish all those steps, your player must be granted 3 Signigicant Milestones ! But next Signigicant Milestone he can directly upgrade his +3* Skill to +4 as this skill will be supported by another +3 Skill as in this Example:

+4 +4*
+3 +3
+2 +2 +2
+1 +1 +1 +1

Hope this answer this question :wink:

What I questioned was that in some instances a PC gets «Extra» Skill Points, (thru special abilities, –not thru Milestones–, and usually in Character Creation). How are they handled? In just the usual manner, or is there a different way to distribute those Extra Skill Points?

TY for ur input!

Ok this question is hard to answer so i’ll try to make it simple as possible. :slight_smile:

Every character is given a budget of :

• 1 Aspect
  • 2 Stunts
  • 6 Skill levels
    TO BUY extra only !

The budget :
The first thing to understand is that this “extra budget” is like a currency. It’s not 1 Aspect, 2 Stunts and 6 Skill levels to develop his/her character per se. This currency is only for buying extras. Simple.

But extras are described in this game as Aspects +/- Stunts +/- Skill levels you see ? Each extra are a combinaison of the three “currency”. That why they cost Aspects+Stunts+Skill level to buy. Generaly cheaper than the combinaison of them.

You cannot use this extra budget to buy stuff for your character other than “extra stuff” but the opposite is true. If you miss 1+ aspect or stunt or skill level to buy an extra you can take it from the “normal” aspect/stunt/skill level allocate to create your character.

What extras can I buy ? :
You can buy any extra you can/want BUT some are restricted. Restricted in the sense that they must/may be included/listed as extras in a Culture or Genotype or Occupation or Organisation. If the character gained/paid one of those condition/restriction during creation (or advancement later) he/she is open to take the Restricted Extras.

As example, if during your campaign, the character is welcomed/associated in a culture/organisation/genotype/occupation (in one word restriction criteria) that is not his/hers during creation and can justify a “cost” (in any way as in RP for instance) he can now “buy” those extras with his/her advancement later on.

Others restrictions are : Tech Index, Genotype, Culture, Organisations or Occupations or what ever you as a GM need them to be.

What to pay :
When buyins an extra you can buy ANY part of the cost you want. You just gain that part of course. If an extra cost 2 aspects, 1 stunt and 1+ skills. What ever that mean is explained in the description of this extra. Whatever you pay, you get. The rest could be bought next avandcement.

And then there is “teamwork bonuses from extras”, Shared extras, Damage to extras to read in the book :wink:

Hope that is clearer as i don’t use english as my natural langage :slight_smile:

Hiyas

I was wondering in what part of the manual is this explained? Also, I was asking about ADDITIONAL skill points, like in the Rejuve and in the Longevity entries…

BTW, What is your native tongue?

Thank you very much!

Hi,
I’m french from France. And you ?

Concerning the explanation you can find them on the Chapter : How to create a character -> Creating your character -> Choosing Extras. (For the budget parts)
And all the details can be found under Chapter : The Extras -> What are extras. Long explanation, difficult to comprehend, need to be calm and aware :wink:

The 5 additionnal points of skills could be used like in advancement skill allocation if the extra Longevity/Rejuve is gained during a campaign; OR can be used like in the creation skill procedures (i.e. Respect the pyramid stuff and all…).

Well in fact, that is a good question : Does that means 5 Skills points in total (i.e. +2 / +2 / +1 ?) or 5 Skills allocations (+2 / +1 +1 +1) … Hum … Well as long as you respect the pyramid skill tree during creation OR the allocation advancement skill tree later during campaign, is it really a matter to be concerned ? Well it is 4 am in the morning it is hard to think for now :stuck_out_tongue:

Merci mon ami

one would b inclined 2 believe the first option u mention would be less unbalancing, representing a long extra time of years learning stuff.

But only the auteur can clarify for sho.

Gracias