Dune Movie Thread

Well they actually might have read a version that has been “improved to allow the modern audience to enjoy it”. My copy of Dune is from the 80’s. I don;t know if they have “fixed” Dune, but I do know that my 70’s copy of Starship Troopers and my '01 copy are not the same novel. Subtle changes in phrasing plus other more obvious ones completely change the book. After what has happened to some of the other books i read in the past I am almost afraid to look if Dune is getting the same treatment.

I really hope so.

The text changed substantially between the initial magazine publishing and the published novel, since that the only changes in the English written novels have been correction to spellings (Test-Mashad was spelt wrong in the text for a long time).
I can’t speak of the translations or audio books, they often have some liberties taken due to necessity.

The only major change that we are aware of in language for the upcoming film is that Jihad was changed to Crusade.
There is a whole host of commentary about that online, but it was just the trailer. We don’t know if it will still be changed in the film (Probably) or the latest book edition (Highly unlikely).

The problem is that if a person read Dune, it’s obvious that Jessica is a trained fighter who can train other fighters. It never once said she was a nun.
I don’t believe anything has been altered, at least not since my copy which is from the 70s and matches a new one I have.

I’m super stoked to see this film! Whilst I get the apprehension, and maybe “some” of the negativity, I actually like all of the changes as I think it opens the universe up to a new audience. It would be great if the film can convey the complixities and topics to that new audience, and I think this is probably the best shot on the big screen that Dune has ever really had.

My only desire is that this 2-part opens up to franchise that at least covers Messiah and Child of Dune - anything beyond that is probably getting a bit too heavy and niche.

I have not been this excited about a film release since, maybe The Matrix Reloaded in 2003.

Although I am of the opinion that Dune can’t really be presented in all its glory as a film, there just isn’t enough time. Maybe three full length films could do it, but I doubt anything less will be sufficient; heck the Sci-Fi series was 3 full length movies and it didn’t cover half of what was needed really.