Anyone paint there Zetan yet? What cards come with the pre-order?

Ok so im trying to find a color mixture for the skin tone…

Its green but like a lime green? Yellowish green? Faded yellow…

Any suggestions?

V/R
Kaionai

I was actually planning to paint mine “Kiwi” green, then hit it with a “Marsh Green” wash (I May try something just a little darker and flatter, maybe a . After that I was planning to come back and give it a Kiwi drybrush to bring out the brightness for highlights.

My thinking is that Kiwi makes a decent undercoat, and the Marsh Green will hopefully dull the brighter color just a little before the drybrush highlights.

Kiwi:
th

Marsh Green:

Both of these color names come from the Apple Barrel brand, which is why I posted images for reference as well.

I just received an Army Painter paint set today too, so I think a very similar effect can be done with Jungle Green and Scaly Hide from that line.

Granted, there are MUCH better painters around here than I am, so if anyone has other ideas, you’ll probably want to listen to them instead. :wink:

1 Like

I happen to be using green tonight, just not on Fallout, so I’ll share my thoughts, along with pics of the bottles to show color.

While I do use mostly Army Painter brand, I do not have the colors GateKeeper does, to be able to compare. Tho I will say, from what I’ve seen of his work here, I trust his judgement.

So just going off what I actually have on hand, I am currently planning on going with a base coat of “army green”, or more likely “Commando Green”.

I’d then do a heavy dry brush of “Necrotic Flesh”, with maybe some “Poisonous Cloud” mixed in. From past experience, these compliment each other well, mixed.

Next would be a much lighter dry brush of pure “Poisonous Cloud”, to pick out the high spots.

For a wash, you could use their “Green Tone”, if you want a pure green tint to it. I think I will be using their “Military Shader” on my first one tho, as it has a more olive tone to it.

Whatever colors I end up going with, I’ll try something different with any other Zetans I manage to get, just to vary skin tones.

1 Like

I think you’re spot on. I think the Commando would make a great undercoat to build off of, and the Necrotic, and especially the Poisonous Cloud will look great with the model. Looking at the pictured paints, it looks to me like the Poisonous Cloud has a hint more yellow to it than my Jungle Green (I like the Poisonous Cloud better for this to be honest, but one works with what they have.) And the Scaly Hide is a little lighter of a color than the Commando Green (And for the darker color, I think I like the slightly lighter Scaly Hide.).

So yeah, we’re both looking at effectively the same color arrangement, we’ve just got different shades to work with. :wink:

In the end, it really doesn’t matter what anyone uses for colors. You’ve seen the reference images, and you’ve seen some of the colors we plan to work with. Anything we say is our personal opinions, so if you know about what you want to do, find some colors that “feel” right to you and run with it.

And if you want to get REALLY close to the original, fire up Fallout 4, go hunt down that one alien, and hold your bottles up to the TV screen to compare.

Keep in mind that saying “It’s more of an art than a science.” That stands true here. It’s not about precision, it’s about doing what feels right to you, and if you’re happy with the model, then that’s all that really matters.

1 Like

Commando is a bit darker than I would like, so it sounds like Scaly Hide would be the better choice.

Poisonous Cloud does have a good bit of yellow in it. And as a matter of fact, if you mix it with Necrotic Flesh, you’ll get something close to the Marsh Green you posted.

In the end, you are right. It’s an art, and all about personal preference. Heck, most of the time, even when I have a plan in mind, it changes part way through as I see how the colors come together.

OP. Don’t be afraid to experiment too. Some times it can lead to great surprises, even from paints you think aren’t going to work. I’ve used zombies in other games as “test subjects” because I figure they’re zombies, there supposed to look bad, if it doesn’t turn out. In the end, the one that needs to be happy with the result is you.

1 Like