A Few Questions About Mutant Chronicles

have a few Mutant chronicles questions.

1.) Is there a recommended order to read the various product in. I know that Core book is 1st, but I know that some of the other 2d20 games have an order that things go in reading wise.

2.) Are there any good VTT images for use of keeping tack of momentum and symmetry? Do any VTT asset exist that anyone has made for the game?

3.) Are there any Mutant Chronicles Wallpapers or big background images, something that could be use as background display for VTT?

4.) When making charterers are there any tips and things to watch out for. The friends I play with are more use to Conan and STA. So any sort of advice to give hem would helpful.

5.) Are there any house rules or optional rules on weapon range? I know the older 1st & 2nd edition, one friend loaned me his books to read, had more concrete weapon ranges and the abstract nature of area tends to not more well Iā€™ve noticed when you are dealing with ranged weapons in many cases in other 2d20 games.

1 Like

Do they? What makes you think they do? - Infinity, Conan and Star Trek Adventures have many source books, but you can read them in any order you like.

The weapon rules in 2d20 work quite well, but I can really recommend dropping the Acquisition rules in MC3 and using the ā€œreal moneyā€ from the 1st and 2nd edition of the old MC books. (In Infinity the abstract acquisition rules work reasonably well, but the MC3 one leads to very unplausible results and is over all very wonky.)

2 Likes

With the Conan books, I noticed that the supplements have a rough order. Barbarian, Thief, etc.plus latter books in the line have references to earlier ones Infinity has a similar thing with regard to references to other books I noticed.

1. I would suggest the following 3 books are essential as a lot of lore secrets are given:
  • Mutants & Heretics
  • Cybertronic
  • Dark Eden sourcebook

I would read them in the order above.

1. For a big wallpaper, I would use the one from the Siege of Citadel, that I find much better than the core book illustration.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2YrPy

2. When creating characters, I would suggest to

3. I absolutely hate the zones, I find it cumbersome and harder to use when using maps and minis (especially when using VTTs). I prefer to use more realistic ranges, which are close to what is in the core book. My personal house rules are the below range. Outside of those ranges the difficulties rises:

• Close range weapons: 1.5m - 50m
  • Mid range: 2.5m - 300m (you can do close quarter combat with an AR15 soā€¦)
  • Long range: 20m - 600m
1 Like

Thanks, that helps a lot.

I donā€™t like the zones at all, as on some maps you run into problems where weapons canā€™t shoot nowhere near as far as they ought to be able to. when you take into the account how far the distance actual is by using furniture, other room objects, etc. on map tiles in other 2d20 games that use them. and if your using miniatures exactly where you are measuring from shooter to a target zone can make a difference of 1 -2 zones in some cases (Had that happen in a few Conan games where if you measured from the circles the range was different than if you went from figure to figure and in some case just making a minor 10 degree turn on where you measure from figure to figure was causing a zone or two to be added to the range when it had when it ought not to. )So your house rule is exactly something Iā€™ll use.

What was your answer to creating character? Your reply got cut off in your post.

1 Like

Glad I helped!
Oh indeed my answer on character creation got cut, sorry!

For the character creation,what I usually do is have the player choose the corpo, and then look through the different careers in both the base book and the corpo bookā€¦ But the reverse can be true as well: if a player want to create a spaceship pilot, surely an Imperial would be best suited.

For the creation process itself, I would suggest using the character generation tool. There are some little bugs in it, but it improves the experience of character generation a lot! All my players loved it.
http://mc.modiphiusapps.hostinguk.org/

2 Likes

Thanks,
Yeah, the character generation tool is great. I wish they had an offline version of it.

These problems with character generation have been cropping up when Iā€™ve had people making characters. 1.) Not sure if to increase expertise or focus has been a big one. Most Iā€™ve noticed try to get expertise and focus to be the same. 2.) Uncertain on what to spend Life Points on.

I would like to take advantage of a questions thread to ask for clarification on Corrupted weapon quality.

As per description

An attack with the Corrupted quality affects the creature with
corruption damage equal to DSI-X times the number of Dark Symmetry
Icons generated, where X is the rating of this trait.

I might be missing it but I canā€™t remember corruption damage being mentioned, just corruption rolls. For the sake of my session I assumed that Corruption Damage means rolling against corruption roll with the number of dice determined by the quality of Corrupted trait (in my case, the Blades of Illian with Corrupted 3).

Is this the correct understanding or have I overlooked something?

It is a Corruption Roll, which uses the damage dice, Dark Symmetry Dice, but is not a damage roll in the actual sense. You did use it correctly. Corrupted 3 = 3[DSD] on the Corruption Roll.

Thanks for the confirmation. Use of ā€œcorruption damageā€ wording instead of ā€œcorruption rollā€ made my doubt myself there. Well that and the fact that due to few unlucky rolls one of my players found himself two tainted Mental Wounds boxes away from becoming an NPC within a span of single combat round.

This actually brings up a second question for me. If I roll multiple [DSI] in an attack with Corrupted weapon, do I resolve all of them in a single roll or do I do a separed roll of X[DSD] for every [DSI] rolled?

1 Like

Number of DSIs times the rank X of the Corrupted X Quality.

An attack with Corrupted 3 that rolled 3 DSIs on the damage dice would prompt a Corruption Roll of 9[DSD]. Yes, that is quite bad. It is supposed to be bad.

Well, then I played it exactly right way.

It was a very unfortunate series of events, the player faced two Eternal Zealots using daggers, which resulted in total of 3 successful attacks that in turn had 2 DSI, 2 DSI and 3 DSI in their damage rolls for a whooping 6, 6 and 9 DSD corruption rolls.

2 Likes

Quick questionā€¦ in the Dark Legion campaign, Is Human Factor & Ancient Essence the same? or two diffirent things?

Two different things - but the text is VERY confusing about that.

I didnā€™t even realise that there was a mention about ancient essence (Iā€™m still in part 1 with my players).
Unless I missed something, I couldnā€™t find any explanation about ancient essence.

Thatā€™s surely an editing error. It seems to me that they indented to have ancient essence have more powerful effect as it was extracted from ancients, human factor being a lesser version.
I imagine they backtracked but forgot to change all mentions to human factor.

On p.24 we have ā€œAncient essence stored within the machines might help the Investigators rid themselves of corruption and unlock hidden abilitiesā€

And then p.99 ā€œThere are two doses of Human Essence and Two doses of Ancient Essence in hereā€ where it seems that ancient essence is indeed different.

2 Likes

As I understand it, white goo advances the Human Condition, Blue Goo advances the Genetic Pilgrimage, Black goo advances Corruption

2 Likes

Yes, in the start i speaks of ā€˜ā€˜Human essenceā€™ā€™ & ā€˜ā€˜Ancient essenceā€™ā€™ but in the last chapter it speaks of ā€˜ā€˜Human Factorā€™ā€™ā€¦ however i chaged it so it is one thing, hopefully it wont break the campaign :stuck_out_tongue:
And they are just about to land on Venus, with 2 out of 3 investigators already cured.

How early did in the campaign did you cure your investigators?

weā€™re between campaigns at the moment, only read 1 chapter of books 2

I have a question regarding multiple purchases. The book states that the player makes a single Lifestyle roll, Difficulty modified by the Restriction level of the item they are buying, to see if they can purchase multiple copies but they need to pay for each of them.

How does that translate into Apply Cash roll? Does the player make a single roll with appropriate number of DSD to try and cover cumulative cost of the items or does he roll for each item separately?

And since I am talking about shopping, is there a Cost and Restriction specified for generic Reloads? I canā€™t seem to find one outside munitions or some special weapons like Plasma Rifle that include it in weapon description.

Yes, usually at the beginning of the chapter describing the different weapon types. For example on page 212:

Reloads for Handguns and Machine Pistols have a Restriction one lower than the weapon they are intended for, and a Cost of 1. They have an Encumbrance of 1.

That means, for example for a MP-105 (Restriction 3) a Reload has Restriction 2, Cost 1, Encumbrance 1.