Using items that require you to place them

Hey Dom and the Rules team.

Over the past few weeks I’ve been trying to use item/equipment cards I don’t generally tend too and two stood out to me as they allow you to place them at any time, I believe, but there’s no real rules for placing an item (this is similar to the turrets question from last year.

The first item in question is Stuffed Monkey, which I never even knew existed till I went to go make my own rules for it. The card states:

Place on battlefield (using counter token to represent it).
All friendly models detect triggers that are Yellow in LoS
from Stuffed Monkey no matter where models are on the
battlefield.
Once placed, Stuffed Monkey can not be moved.
Can be destroyed: 2

How would you place it? Is it a free action? is there a range limitation? Height limitation? Do you need to be unengaged?

I played it like Mirelurk eggs/mines rules, as I find the rules for them to be reasonable for “placing an item” when there are no rules.

Whilst unengaged, place [counter] up to Orange away in LoS.

Orange distance isn’t super abusable but maybe base to base contact is better for most things but I’ve always read “color” distance away to also mean vertical in addition to horizontally.

The second card is Heavy Weapon Mount which is a pretty cool card but kind of confusing and I’m surprised it doesn’t have a topic here already, or at least one I could find. This card comes up occasionally in some online discussion and people can never agree how it works.

Second half of the card text. which is where I have the questions,

Takes 1 action to attach weapon whilst [interact icon] . Action not
required to detach. Once deployed, mount can
not be moved. Can leave weapon attached.

So you spend an action to interact with the mount to attach your weapon. Free action to remove weapon. But how does the mount get placed down? Is it similar to turrets (at the start of the game?) or is it user placed? Do you place it down during the interaction that attaches the weapon? If the interaction action is required then you can only use a mount on a piece of terrain as per the rules you can only interact with “objects” (not a bad thing in of itself but is that an intended outcome if interact is required?).

Thanks.

Hey @monkeysloth,

Let’s see about getting you some answers.

• The Stuffed Monkey, Heavy Weapon Mount and any other Item would be placed within Orange distance in LoS (unless the item says otherwise). I agree that the Egg and Mine placing works for this, so lets go with it.
  • Placing it costs no actions at all. Looking at the rules for using Items (page 33 of Rules of Play, first paragraph of 'Using Items) using an Item is done right before or after any Action - this includes normal Actions, Quick Actions or Responses. This is highlighted once again on page 7, third question in.
  • Height limit on placing items is a bit weird, as nothing else in F:WW considers height. As such and so we don’t create an exception, there is no height placing limit on item providing that it is within Orange and LoS.
  • You cannot place an Item whilst being Engaged.
  • You would place the Heavy Weapon Mount before any Action, Free Action or Response as described above. It then costs an Action to attach a weapon to it.
  • Issue is with you placing the Mount if Interact applies is that Markers are also objects, as you do Interact with them. This could mean you could place a Heavy Weapon Mount on the Marker and then have that Marker removed later, due to the scenario - what happens then? I think in this case, we should change the Interact icon on the Heavy Weapon Mount to '…in base-to-base contact and not engaged’.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the answers. Always appreciate it.

• Height limit on placing items is a bit weird, as nothing else in F:WW considers height. As such and so we don’t create an exception, there is no height placing limit on item providing that it is within Orange and LoS.

Ya. It is kind of weird but I wanted to ask since the Monkey could be blocked by LOS so placing it higher up might have times where it’s beneficial. I doubt anything else in the game ATM would matter.

Also forgot to ask. Heavy weapon mount isn’t on the cap cost PDF so right now the only way to get it is via random draw in your wasteland deck. Any chance of getting it added to the gear section?

We’ll look into it.

1 Like