The Orville on Fox

Hmmm. Seemed like a season finale, it was still a weak episode.

The previous 2, I think Identity part 1 and 2 were very strong, IMHO. Very Star Treky in feel.

Worked plenty well as a jab at jingoism and race-hateā€¦

There were twelve episodes on the first season which means we should expect two more episodes for the second one ā€¦ and hopefully a third season :slight_smile:

I know production values are higher these days, but gosh if they could pump out 30-40 episodes a season like some of the cheap shows back in the old days it would be cool.

They donā€™t need the 30/ā€œseasonā€ that was the (almost exclusively) North American standard in the 1960sā€“1980s. The UK has had 8 and 16 per ā€œseriesā€ for many shows since the 1970ā€™s.

The US market is switching from 1Ɨ 30+1Ɨ 20, then 2Ɨ 25, to 3Ɨ 16 week programming chunksā€¦ it makes for more shows in syndication (which the independent and minor-network stations need), and more variety.

On the other hand, there was a solution for small production shows in the 1970ā€™sā€¦ a few of the mystery of the week shows were on 2-week or 3 week interleaved rotations during the ā€œyearā€ (wk 1=A, 2=B, 3=C, 4=1=A etc), and then on in parallel filling unfilled time slots.

The old syndication target was 75ā€¦ 15 weeks of every weekday for the summer. Or, 3 seasons per year. Trek just about perfectly hit that. Original BSG didnā€™t, but was often paired with Gā€™80 and/or Buck Rogers for syndication, giving a year of weekly.

Now, with the shorter seasons, weā€™re seeing shows with 14-18 a year, and mated with a similar show in the second half, and then whichever did better repeats in the summer.

Given the 26 episodes contracted, thatā€™s a half-year syndication. If season 3 hits 14 more, it will be able to be syndicated for a full ā€œwinterā€ 2/3 of the year with spares.

The TV market has changed. Seth, being a producer, writer, and director for a bunch of shows, knows this intimately. His animation creations have been syndicated during initial runā€¦ he KNOWS what heā€™s doing, and heā€™s doing it to retain quality and control over not just Orville, but his other projects.

Well I got to see the episode with the time capsule over the weekend. Loved the bits with Bortas and Klyden smoking cigarettes. Would have thought it even more funny if the entirety of Moklas decided to start importing tobacco. With medicine as it is in the universe, the health problems of smoking donā€™t seem like they would be a problem any more. Oh well.

I did a thing. More things are coming.

2 Likes

to me, that Doesnā€™t quite ring for Ed, but canā€™t quite put my finger on why. Close, thoā€™. Maybe itā€™s that it is missing Edā€™s crippling self-doubt. The lack of Disads in STAā€¦

Couldnā€™t his self doubt be reflected as a value somehow?

Or it could be a Trait. There are traits in the books like Jerk, Paranoid, True Believer, and Functioning Alcoholic so Self-Doubting is probably valid. Actually an interesting trait possibility is Trauma (page 95-96 in the Science book) since then it could be directly linked to the impact of being cheated on; Prior to being cheated on he was widely considered to be on the Captain fast track, so his issues have to pretty much stem from that event anyway. Also being a Trauma provides a hook for getting some therapy or such to address it, and helps define the sort of situations it will most likely rear up in.

1 Like

The idea of using a Trait for it seems inspired. :slight_smile: I may use that for such things going forwardā€¦

Hereā€™s the other half of the happy couple.

Hey, guys, if you downloaded my writeups of Kelly or Ed before now, I noticed some formatting issues with Ed and some pretty heinous typos with Kelly. Theyā€™ve been fixed and the new files uploaded. Please download the updated sheets.