STA for the Kelvin timeline?

Can I use STA for the new Kelvin timeline with Chris Pine as Kirk?
Because Vulcan is gone (literally), and after losing many ships thanks Nero. The official Star website has written, that the Federation create more ships much faster and more aggressive then the original timeline.
But from technological view, there shouldn’t be a difference between this two timelines?

1 Like

Generally, the rule system is pretty timeline-agnostic. Even though the default setting is 2371 and much of the book is written from that perspective, it specifically states that you are free to choose any era. ENT, TOS and TNG are suggested, but it all works very well with any era or timeline.

From the tech perspective, the Kelvin timeline is basically a mix of TOS and TNG, so there should not be any issues. Of course you would have to adjust details, such as Vulcan being destroyed.

2 Likes

From what I know of Modiphius’ license, you shouldn’t count on official publications for the Kelvin timeline. But as Shran said, the rules should work perfectly well.

1 Like

I’m running my campaign in the Kelvin timeline and it works just fine. I sort of hand-wave some discrepancies (like the size/scale of the ships, engine room layout, etc) and treat it as TOS with an updated aesthetic.

2 Likes

What source do you use to eliminate the discrepancies?

Not sure what you mean. It’s more just the visuals. The engine room layout I use looks like traditional Trek movie era Enterprise (warp core, etc). The ships are the size of the ships in the rest of the movies. You can used the TOS stats from the books for the ships and equipment. No additional “source(s)” needed.

Sorry, then I had misunderstood you. I thought, that you modify the statistics of the ships for example.

I’m currently running STA Kelvin Timeline. It’s in a beta phase, my players are new to Trek. Most of them have seen ST Kelvin Timeline and that gives me a serious edge in helping them understand both the tech level and enormity of what a Federation starship is. Plus, the Kelvin Timeline gives us as GMs and Trekkies, the definitive on scale when it comes to learning about Federation starships in general. I’m grateful for open and flexible STA is. Good stuff. I just wish Modiphius had rights in creating a book/supplement on the Kelvin Timeline, it would be a boost to what we as GMs have to describe to the players in terms of things in general. My references are literally the movies of that timeline. Let’s keep it going GMs and Players alike. To boldly go where no man has gone before.