Rules Clarification: Ready/Used

Hey all, looking for some clarification on the Ready/Used flow.

In page 13 of the rulebook, under Activating Models, it says:

"On their turn, a player places a Readiness Marker with the blue side up next to any of their Unready models, indicating it is now Ready. The player must then either:

A. Use NONE of their Ready models (which means their turn ends); or
B. Use ALL of their Ready models, even if this is just one model."

I understood this to mean that you can make a model ready and then pass the turn, waiting to use 2 or 3 ready models at once. Since you have to use ALL of your ready models once you choose Option B, any models that are ready that you don’t activate are wasted.

This is also how Guerrila Miniature Games understood the rules in their Let’s Play video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p0C7YkcwdA

However, the Official Errata / FAQ on the Downloads page says:

Q: Can Readied models be left Ready into the next turn?

A: No. Any models that become Ready during your turn must be made Used at the end of your turn if they have not been activated, unless otherwise stated in a specific special rule.

Any clarification on Page 13? How are you all playing it?

Round vs Turn. A Round consists of several Turns where players go back and forth readying/activating units. A player can ready multiple models over several Turns within that single Round and then activate them all at once. A player cannot carryover readied models into the next Round. A Round ends when both sides have activated all of their models.
It is one of the annoying things in the miniatures and boardgaming hobby that turn and round are often used interchangeably between different games.
I enjoy the Guerrilla minis vids but they do cover a lot of game systems and I have yet to see one that mistakes were not made in. They are by no means a ‘learn to play’ source.

Quick edit- I suspect the errata may have gotten turn and round swapped. Or, I completely misunderstand how the game plays which is certainly possible…

So it’s the FAQ that’s worded ambiguously, not the rules?

However, the Errata / FAQ says:

Q: Can Readied models be left Ready into the next turn round?

A: No. Any models that become Ready during your turn round must be made Used at the end of your turn round if they have not been activated, unless otherwise stated in a specific special rule.

Hi. The question in the FAQ needs a bit of re-wording. That question was added intending to answer what happens if a model becomes Ready whilst you are already activating models (in which case, you need to activate them during that turn, even though they only became Ready part-way through activating models).

Your understanding of how it plays was correct, and it’s the FAQ that added the confusion. I’ll have the FAQ updated. Thanks for the asking the question.

2 Likes

Thanks very much James.