Player’s and Gamemaster’s Guides

Thank you very much for the feedback.

This how I’m going to master it in my games:
I’m going to use the Non-lethal rules of Achtung Cuthulhu 2d20 (pg 33): Non-Lethal Injuries are like normal Injuries (specific form of complication), but they heal normally after a short time and don’t require any medical assistance.
This makes stun weapons like phasers les dangerous/effective so I use the following changes:
Import the Stun Stress effect of Achtung Cuthulhu 2d20 (pg 99) and make the following changes: -Replace “target’s Resilience skill” with target’s Security Discipline"
-Add the following sentence: Some species trait makes this attack less/more effectieve. In that case lower/increase the targets Security Disiplince by 1 or negate this stress effect entirely.
-Add the Stun stress effect as an option for the Charge weapon quality.

1 Like

I found a couple of good options for additional roles. Some of them are more appropriate for clandestine operations or military campaigns (Dominion War):
-Assassin: Use the Assassination Talent of the Infiltrator Archetype of Achtung Cuthulhu 2d20 game (pg 58).
-Athlete: Use the Acrobatic Talent of the Infiltrator Archetype of Achtung Cuthulhu 2d20 game (pg 58).
-Face: Use the Chamelion Talent of the Con Artist Archetype of Achtung Cuthulhu 2d20 game (pg 56).
-Infiltrator: Use the Silent Step Talent of the Infiltrator Archetype of Achtung Cuthulhu 2d20 game (pg 58).
Inventor: Use the Prototype Talent of the Bofin Archetype of Achtung Cuthulhu 2d20 game (pg 54). And apply the following changes: Remove “select a talent from the Talents section (p.86)” and replace with “select a talent”.
-Soldier: Use the Own the Battlefield Talent of the Soldier Archetype of Achtung Cuthulhu 2d20 game (pg 61)
-Survivalist: Use the Wilderness Guide of the Commander Archetype of Achtung Cuthulhu 2d20 game (pg 55).
-Tactician: Use the Opportunist Talent of the Commander Archetype of Achtung Cuthulhu 2d20 game (pg 55). Truth = Trait (Advantage)
-Warrior: Use the Army of One Talent of the Soldier Archetype of Achtung Cuthulhu 2d20 game (pg 61).

Continuing Mission posted reviews of the Player’s Guide. Check them out if you’re on the fence about buying it.
Part 1
Part 2

2 Likes

How do the “Ship’s Doctor” role and a ship’s “Emergency Medical Hologram” talent work in combination? I suppose the latter works as exception to the former?

To summarize Nathan above, Gamemaster Fiat. :slight_smile:

The EMH is a ship talent and the ship’s doctor is a player character role, so I’m not sure there’s a 1:1 connection. Maybe play a non-Starfleet independent hologram and be the ship’s doctor role.

Rules as written, there is: The role prohibits the Players to create supporting characters from the medical department; the talent grants the ability to use an EMH as supporting character.

It’s entirely feasible to rule that the EMH is an exception - Voyager was a ship with only one doctor and one nurse initially. And, of course, during Voyager’s journey, the EMH is the Ship’s Doctor (and a player character).

Strictly speaking, the EMH is a supporting character who isn’t part of the normal complement of supporting characters, and thus could be seen as outside of other limits on supporting characters:

i.e., if you have the EMH talent on the ship and the Ship’s Doctor crew role, you can only take one medical supporting character: the EMH.

That is, if you wish to rule it that way.

2 Likes

I must say that I find these two books extremely valuable and I honestly didn’t expect that. They address various issues that have been raised by a lot of people, myself included. Great books, I would say even more important than Command/Operations/Science supplements.

4 Likes

I wonder when they will be available in PDF.

As noted earlier in the thread, print preorders get the PDFs immediately. The digital-only release will happen as soon as the print editions ship out to preorder customers and hit distribution for stores. Tentatively targeting Jan 2022 for that, depending on the global supply chain impacting delivery times.

3 Likes

Does this mean that the PG and GMG are ‘digest sized’ and small (6X8)

or that the books that come with the Tricorder are digest sized, and the PG and GMG are standard sized (About 8X11)

I’m looking at the listing for the PG and there’s no note of it being small or Digest sized.

The PG, GMG, and Tricorder set books are all 6" x 8" digest sized.

From the product description on the website:

This full color, 264 page digest is packed full of player-focused options, advice, tables, and artwork, all designed to enhance your Star Trek Adventures game.

Granted, it’s not super explicit, but digest means digest sized. In the UK, it’s called royal. Either way, approx 6" x 8". PG, GMG, and the rules digest and adventure booklet in the tricorder are all digest sized.

4 Likes

Ahh that’s saddening.

Thank you very much for the speedy reply. I appreciate it.

So these books don’t look like the others? Like the core or the other guides?

Chances are I will get it, at least in pdf though in physical if its really good.

I was wondering about any psychic things - traits or talents. That’s something I think is lacking and would really like to see more of.

The Player’s and Gamemaster’s Guide are era-agnostic and not layouted in pseudo LCARS. They retain a (rather neat) and recogniseable two-column layout with trekky fonts and artwork in the style of the other publications.

You will find some crunch on psychic abilities on p. 246 f. of the Player’s Guide.

I read through both books’ PDF and can’t wait to get the dead-tree-format copies in my hands.

2 Likes

Ah oh cool. So that is the reason for the other format, era stuff. I guess that make sense since when the missions for the Original Series are written up its the lighter color.

Okay that all sounds cool. I mean I didn’t realize that the black layout was basically era specific stuff but it does kind of make sense.

Now I have to decide on whether I buy the book in preorder from US store now, get the pdf immediately, and then get the physical at some unknown date or wait.

Also cool on the psychic. That sounds fun. I hope its a bunch of things. hehe

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

The LCARS formatting doesn’t mean the content is TNG-specific. The pre-written adventures are formatted depending on the default era (though they can be adapted to other time periods as well) but things like the Core Rulebook are formatted to look like LCARS despite covering multiple eras.

Yeah that is what I thought,t hat it was just simply a formatting choice. A choice that I have come to actually enjoy and stuff.

Which is why I was like “oh its sad that the PG and GM guides aren’t in that style”.

All that said my bookshelf isn’t so organizes in book size and shape so it wouldn’t be noticeable if these are different from the others.