Official 2D20 Star Wars

lol you don’t think I’m drunk gm’ing 2d20? I’m drunk gm’ing everything O_O…jokes asside, John Carter of Mars (JCoM) was my intro into 2d20, its definitely got its own slew of issues but I thoroughly love it for its openness and ease of entry. its put Genesys and 2d20 at the top of my list for go to systems now. JCoM is the system that had me buy into infinity as well. I’d love a more generic fantasy system or just generic 2d20 world build book.

I will say this though about the more open systems, its more malleable to what the players want to do. But I do have an oddball in my group that is a heavy pc gamer, when he reaches the end of a build the game loses its sheen for him. I don’t get that mentality myself but a structured system certainly does mitigate that issue.

So if you do do star wars keep the trees in mind as they can help…keep those players on the goal.

It was his favorite thing from SWFFG the talent trees he could buy into gave him “challenges” to purchase through as he played.

1 Like

For sure. Genesys is my go-to for anything that doesn’t have it’s own game (and some that do!). Right now I’m working on a Napoleonic War naval campaign for Genesys. If a general 2d20 system were released, it might replace Genesys for me. I like 2d20 better. But Star Wars made me rethink a lot of previously ingrained ideas about running RPGs so it has a special place for me.

I think I’m also much more upset about what this means for the industry in general. I have connections into the game industry and I know people who are hurt by this decision to close up shop which makes it extra sad.

I also met my wife playing AEG’s L5R4E. We both think 5E is a better game though lol

2 Likes

FFG has a tendency to do this, they did it with the 40k rpg as well

I love 5e L5R for one thing in particular, and most people from the original tell me they hate it, the strife mechanic. I love it for the fact that it forces players to either fail and save face or risk losing face to succeed. It keeps players from being a general mary sue in social encounters when people ruffle their jimmies. which is a thing that happens all the time in real life. It really makes all the sense to me.

I started on the dislike of the new star wars band wagon myself. wont lie. but when I dived into genesys head first…it really opened my eyes. it made me give these off the wall systems a real fighting chance. now I’ve played/gm’d 15+ different systems. each lending to my experience in handling players, story, systems, etc.

1 Like

I think as well that FFG SW is better at emulating the movies - fast paced storytelling, larger than life heroes being super capable and zipping around in a high speed adventure. WEG d6 puts a bit more effort into the in between, makes for a potentially better “life in the SW universe” simulation. I’ve had a similar disagreement with a friend who’s a big Trekkie and prefers the old Last Unicorn Star Trek but I prefer 2d20 STA - STA is an emulator of the movies and shows, TLU is more a life in the federation simulation. STA bounces you from adventure to adventure, TLU does not. Very different approaches to the same material that may be at the root of the different understandings people have of the different systems.

Obviously, I can’t comment on anything official, even if I did know anything (I just write the games they tell me to write).

But a few points, all my own opinions as a long-time gamer and fan of RPGs in general.

WEG Star Wars: I’ve found that the best description of it is that it’s like the Millennium Falcon - a rusted, near-decrepit junk-heap which is nevertheless fondly regarded by those who’ve used it, and it really flies in the hands of a few.

Star Wars Saga Edition (the square books) was a vast improvement over other WotC versions, and was a pretty damned good game in its own right.

FFG Star Wars provides an experience unlike either, so long as the players and GM are willing to engage with the way the system works.

Jumping to conclusions: The business side of the RPG industry is weird and often unpredictable in a number of regards, especially when it comes into contact with actually big businesses like licensors with huge IPs and companies like Asmodee, so even when things seem to be conclusive… don’t assume you know how events will play out.

5 Likes

L5R has for decades run on the slogan that the politics were deadlier than the blade and that was never ever true mechanically until 5E. Some people don’t like the strife mechanic. AEG Rokugan is littered with Great Men Being Heroes And Cool And Stuff. FFG L5R is the only edition to go “hey maybe this constant stoicism and strict hierarchy and stifling culture has negative effects on the people in it” and that didn’t play well with the people who wanted more Great Men. I think that expectations play a major role in the perceived success or failure of a game.

There was a ton of disagreement (still is) to this day because of the dueling mechanic, as it is mechanically superior to just draw your sword and beat your opponent into submission than to play the mind games of stance dancing and looking for an opening by driving up their strife. But the culture of Rokugan says you shouldn’t do that, you should play by these arbitrary rules. And people could not understand that being baked into the system. They just wanted to make cool duelists and not think any deeper.

No system is perfect. Maybe the next Star Wars game, 2d20 or not, will be even better! I hope so! Still a shame to see multiple game lines you care about all be cut down at the same time.

3 Likes

Yeah I got annoyed when the License was pulled for the Stargate SG1 (Spycraft 1st edition) RPG

Well like Modiphius-Nathan said:

News is still slowly eeking out, and the rpg landscape plays on months and years not weeks and days. We will have to hurry up and wait to see where the wind blows. till then we have the foundry, and we have community driven content. so a 2d20 star wars could be a thing, if another player/gm builds it

2 Likes

I’ll accept that. :grin: Though I still contend that there is a “flavor” of play that is at odds with the crunchier aspects of FFG’s release. Perhaps I really “make it fly.” (Or perhaps I don’t; I should pull it out, play it, and reassess.)

Edit: I’m talking about the “flavor” of the original trilogy, to again be clear.

1 Like

I can see that.

Strange, I couldn’t disagree more with your take on BRPS (Call of Cthulhu) - for me its up there with my favorite systems and CoC is a masterpiece, just for the Sanity Rules alone.

Also, about your experiences with Genesys SWs, these confuse me. To the contrary, I have found that its a rather intuitive and creativity friendly game. Not much crunch than the usual.

Cheers

Hoping for a generic 2D20 system for homebrewed systems. Which could be existing IPs, where the lisence is pending. :grin:
I’d love to utilize 2D20 for my own setting ideas as I think that the core mechanics from for instance Conan and Infinity could be literally used for every setting, be it Steampunk, Historic, Horror.
The only parts which could be challenging would be generic mechanics for spells, psi, supenatural powers, however you name it.

2 Likes

Sounds like a subthread for this task is overdue. :grin:

If fondly emember when we played Tomb Of Horrors in d20 Rokugan back then.

We’re hearing what you’re hearing about FFG, guys - there’s no special insider knowledge going on. To that end, we’re not working on the Star Wars license.

I’m very flattered, but sorry. :laughing:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call Genesys particularly crunchy per se. But there are a lot of little things, like keyword based abilities and range band movement and lots of Talents that alter player’s interactions with standard rules, and guidelines for the spending of Threat and Despair and Advantage. I find that you need to know these things and be able to keep them in mind. Sure, you could BS and improv your way through it, but then what does a talent that generates you an extra advantage on Hacking checks or whatever mean if you’re not at least hewing close to the guiderails, you know?

I played a demo game of Shadow of the Beanstalk Genesys at PAX Unplugged this past year with a friend who’d never played before and wanted to check it out after I’d talked it up. We spent literal hours after that session with him going “I didn’t like how X worked” and me saying “that’s because the GM did it wrong, it was supposed to be Y” on several topics. And that was just a loosey goosey demo game. So it’s not that the game is crunchy, but it’s very easy to make it seem lackluster.

I find 2d20 to sometimes be similar. Some people bounce off of it because of failures to grasp the system making it seem less than it is. Maybe they don’t get how to use Momentum or they can’t grasp how to build a battlemat with interesting zones, or how ranges work, or how to build towards the archetype they want, or whatever, and they may give up or fall back to their old system of choice. Ultimately it’s their loss, but I of course want people to stick around and support one of my favorite systems so it keeps being made. And honestly, I think this is true of a lot of games, if not most games, but we all had more patience for it when we were 13 and had little else to worry about, another possible root of over-fondness for the games of yesteryear by some.

I’m reminded of an interesting YouTube video by a creator called Razbuten, called “What Games Are Like For Someone Who Doesn’t Play Games,” where he subjects his wife who does not play games to a series of modern video games, and watches her struggle with basic tasks like manipulating the camera and even reading what’s going on in the levels because she hasn’t been training in the language of video games since she was a little kid like he had. We don’t always think of it that way, but that’s exactly what it is, and while his video is about video games, it certainly happens in tabletops. Why are we closed minded about a new edition of game X? Because I don’t have time to relearn it like I did this old one seems like a reasonable answer to me, but as humans we post-rationalize and say that nah, it’s because it’s bad because if it was good, I’d just be missing out. Can’t be having that.

As for Cthulhu/BRP, one of my big problems is the Sanity rules. If you’ve seen terrible monsters and weird magicks and stuff, you’re not Paranoid, or Delusional, or Mad… you’re Right! But mostly, I just find myself underwhelmed with the percentile roll under system. Now don’t get me wrong, there’s some amazing stuff in the CoC line. Masks of Nyarthalotep may be the greatest campaign ever written, and I’ve played some great ones. I’m currently playing in a Great Pendragon Campaign, and I’ve played an L5R City of Lies game before too. Masks is better. But if I want horror, I’m turning to Red Markets every time (though Trophy is shaping up to be pretty cool too). If I want investigation, I’m going GUMSHOE. In my RPG Meetup group is someone who runs nothing but CoC every Meetup and everyone else seems to love his games. But they’re just not for me.

1 Like

See it as a love letter to 2D20! :blush:

1 Like

WEG Star Wars: I’ve found that the best description of it is that it’s like the Millennium Falcon - a rusted, near-decrepit junk-heap which is nevertheless fondly regarded by those who’ve used it, and it really flies in the hands of a few.

Let’s also not forget one of the highlights of that junk-heap - fluff! Every single book was chock full of lore from droids to starfighters to organizations. Yes, lore was provided by other iterations of Star Wars, but not the way the rusted, near-decrepit WEG d6 system provided. No matter what version of Star Wars I’ve run, I always find myself reading through the WEG books.

All in all though, I largely agree with your points.

1 Like

I’m actually in the process of adapting Tomb of Horrors for Conan for Save Against Fear 2020.

2 Likes