New edition of Achtung! Cthulhu?

I actually missed much of this title first time around, but by the time I picked up a few PDFs the 6th Edition rules for Call of Cthulhu were superceded by the 7th Edition and now it looks like Savage Worlds might also be having a new edition soon.

I’m not really a fan of gamelines that require other rulebooks to play, or when they support multiple systems, I have to say. But with the miniatures games and so on still coming, what are the chances of doing a new edition with it’s own, standalone system?

1 Like

This may answer your question…

1 Like

@Modiphius-Nathan - you beat me to it :slight_smile:

A-ha!

(And now I know that these posts need to be at least 10 characters long!).

Is this going to be 2D20 like Conan and Mutant Chronicles, or the simpler versions of Star Trek and John Carter?

I’m more of a fan of the Conan/MC version myself,

It’s not really accurate to think of them that way - each game has the system adapted and adjusted to suit the specific setting, normally with unique elements specific to each game.

Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20 is a new iteration, designed to suit that particular brand of pulp action horror and building upon the lessons learned while designing previous games. There’s bits you’ll probably recognise from all the previous 2d20 System games, and bits that are new to the system to suit what makes Achtung! Cthulhu distinctive.

1 Like

What about folks that have the old versions. I have the entire collection in physical. Will there be conversions guides?

I mean, I plan on buying the new 2d20 core book but what about all those source books? Thx!

I’m not sure about conversion guides or anything like that; I design the core systems, and write extra rules when required, but the decision-making outside of that is handled by others.

So, will this be a “reboot” or a “remake”? New rules and new sourcebooks or new rules and rerelased old material with rules changes?

It’s going to be an updated version of the system tailored for WW2 and horror, as the press release states it’s expanded setting material - so nothing has changed but we’re expanding massively on the setting and factions etc. This new edition is wholly 2d20. We are planning to re-stat the Keepers & Investigators guide for 7th edition, and gauging the community on support for re-statted editions of the other books in the line.

2 Likes

I am really looking forward to it. So far I have really enjoyed the 2d20 games that I have been able to play. This looks like a great fit and I am really looking forward to see how horror is handled.

And getting a updated CoC version is most welcome. Right now my favorite systems are 2d20, CoC 7th, GUMSHOE and Hero System 5thR.

I run GUMSHOE or CoC 7th depending on the players. To see a GUMSHOE version would be total victory…

I’m working on converting a number of Achtung! Cthulhu materials to CoC 7e (not just the Keeper’s and Investigator’s Guides. I can’t comment regarding GUMSHOE though.

1 Like

Will folks who own these on DriveThru get the new editions? Or will we have to buy them all over again. Not complaining but I just completed my collection a few weeks before this news dropped. And all 6th ed stuff is still up for sale. Often without notice that a new edition is on the way. I get it for the physical things already printed but I am wondering about the digital purchasers. Also will each book be redone or will there be a conversion book for multiple titles that 6th edition owners can purchase. Final question. Will you be providing options and or advice for using Chaosiums new Pulp Cthulhu 7th edition supliment? Seems like a perfect fit for A!C. Thx!

@DanteFaustus Customers and backers of the original Achtung! Cthulhu edition (Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu) will recieve PDFs of the 7th edition Call of Cthluhu edition. All new content will only be supported by the 2d20 System.

1 Like

Thanks Sam - beat me to it!

I think it is safe to say that there will also be a character tool for this version.

1 Like

So why bother with coc7 in the core if all the new adventures are 2d20 only?

CoC rules FROM the previous edition will be updated for 7th edition. 2d20 will be a new, standalone edition

1 Like

Thanks for that. I was a late backer that got the CoC 6th/SW books plus the FATE standalone. But then CoC updated to 7th it what almost seems like a blink of the eye. I have been meaning to update things myself and run it using CoC 7th Pulp, but never seem to have the time. Now it looks like the stars are coming into alignment for me :sunglasses:
Looking forward to updated core books and hopefully the supplements and especially the campaign books make the update cut.

That said I am really stoked about a 2d20 version. Will the 2d20 version include the same expansions or will it be the Keepers and Investigators Guides plus new supplements? Will Shadows of Atlantis/Mountains of Madness be converted or will there be a new campaign?
I am equally interested in either case for the supplements. Just curious for planning. I have been on and off about being able to run the A!C campaign and this has brought it back to the front page of my mind you might say. I am planning to kick off a Star Trek Adventures campaign in the next few weeks. A few one-shots this month and Dec, followed by the actual campaign in the Jan time frame after the holidays.