Mods on default equipment?

This might seem like a dumb question, but I can’t find anything in the rules to say one way or the other. Can you add mods to default equipment that is added to the unit via the “Equipped” header? For some things, like Goddard’s T60 armor or Kellog’s pistol, it would make sense to be able to. However, for things like a Dog’s Dog Bite attack, or a Mirelurk’s Claw, it makes less sense.

As campaign handbook p.24 says, you could equip some or all standard equipment on the unit, and then, you could equip any item you selected in step 3 in settlement mode, so if you got a mod, you are able to equip it if you can afford it and if you are able to attach it (with the matching perk to do so).

Good point, though I was mainly looking at it from a Battle Mode perspective. It would still be funny in Settlement mode to add a Toxic mod to Dogmeat’s Dog Bite or something like that…

From a Battle Mode perspective? You can buy whatever you want (respecting the lists), whats the point there with standard equipment? There is nothing there about that, if the model has access to its standard equipment (looking at his available items inside his list) and to the mod you want to attach… no problem (max. 1 per weapon/armor).
About Dogmeat, it has access to dog items only, but in Settlement Mode, I think it is not stated yet, because its type is Dog, and when it regards to Robots and Creatures, you need the right leader/perk cards, but nothing about Dogs, so it seems it would be legal, but totally incoherent attaching such mods to their bites, so I would use the creature rules to equip mods on Dogmeat’s bite and such “weapons”.:sweat_smile:

I’m going to give Marcus’ Punch the Jagged mod so he can do anything with his blue die results :laughing:

:joy: well, in that case, jagged only converts bottles from black dice, good for power fists.
Actually, I think there is no rules wich don’t allow modding these weapons, because they have in the same skill, melee weapons and unarmed weapons… but it is incoherent

I think Modiphius should add in the next faqs all the ruling about modding these unarmed/melee weapons, not allowing to attach mods on “free weapons” (it is not only dog bite or Marcus punch, there are “rifle weapons” like mirelurk queen acid, but all this kind of weapons are free, so avoiding this kind of situations/questions would be easy). Maybe adding a line to the Mods paragraph, so people don’t come to ask about modding the improvised weapon or something like that…

Just wanted folks to know that we’ll get an answer to you next week - its been a little busy this week. You’ve given us a ton to think about though and thanks for bearing with us.

1 Like

Hey all

DK-dark has it correct for Settlement Mode and casual play;

‘As campaign handbook p.24 says, you could equip some or all standard equipment on the unit, and then, you could equip any item you selected in step 3 in settlement mode, so if you got a mod, you are able to equip it if you can afford it and if you are able to attach it (with the matching perk to do so).’

As for Battle Mode, you can purchase whatever you like providing it is on the faction’s lists and you don’t have more than one mod per weapon or armor.

This will mean in Settlement Mode you could end up with some weird combinations but all the more reason to give casual play a go!

So Marcus, in Battle Mode, could get a really good modded “fist” to crush his enemies! :grinning:

Thanks for the confirmation! It’s a little odd, but I don’t see a good way to solve the weirdness without some very precise new rules.