Ginaz school gone?

So ā€¦ if House Ginaz was wiped out by House Moritani, does that mean that the Ginaz school is no more (as at the time of the Dune novel)?

1 Like

I think you are probably right given how the Ginaz school is presented in the prequels as being very closely tied to the House.

I can see it having been scattered instead of destroyed though.
So instead of the island chain school with many different teachers that is described you have a series of lone masters and their pupils.
Probably sheltered by other Houses who dream of the potential of founding the next Ginaz school.

We will find out in the Imperial Court book though as that is supposed to cover advanced characters such as Ginaz Swordmasters.

1 Like

While house Ginaz is no more in 10191, Iā€™d say Ginaz is not and never was the sole source of Swordmasters. It was perhaps the most famous and best, but Children of Dune, set a couple of decades later, notes at one point that Swordmaster training has been in the increase, so it seems there are other houses training them.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answers people! Certainly food for thought. I suppose it does depend on the old training approach of the school how effective the new regime would be. Did one learn from a collection of swordmasters, or mostly just one?

2 Likes

The first prequel books (The House Atreides/Harkonnen/Corrino trilogy) shows Duncan going through the Ginaz school.
It has him serve under a series of different masters, who each teach him a specific aspect of the Ginaz School. This ranges from styles of swordmanship through to etiquette and poetry (Though I think all of the teachers were fully fledged Swordmasters in their own right).

Personally I like the idea of that being the basic course and each Master takes specific disciples to train personally as well (I read too much Manga and Manhwa).

1 Like