FAQ and Errata Thread

I have a question for robots and armor they use.
In the armor section it lists the armors separated with armor, plate, and frame.
Are these armors each individually applied to each location eg. the torso can have Gutsy plating with Factory armor, Primal plate, and Actuated frame for a total bonus of +6 PR / +4 ER
Or can they only have one type of armor on each point such as Gutsy plating with Factory armor and nothing else for +3 PR / +3 ER.
The book isn’t clear on this, but with the second ruling anyone playing a robot beyond the lower levels will never get beyond a +5 to their base resistances

I have a couple questions and an errata suggestion. The errata suggestion is for the Small Guns, Big Guns, and Energy Weapon tables. In these tables there is a column for “Weapon Type” I think this should be changed to “Ammo Type”. Under the column, if changed to Ammo Type could list the default ammo like in the gun descriptions in the following pages. Having Ammo Type there instead should make it easier for players to quickly write all relevant information down when getting a new weapon.

My questions are about Ghouls and addiction/disease and the Lizard creature type. On page 167 the book mentions that Ghouls are less likely to get disease and become addicted to chems, but how would this work mechanically? Since it lists that Ghouls need to consume 2 doses of a chem, would the mechanic be that 2 doses are equal to 1 addiction? And for the Lizard creature type, there are no creatures with listed stat blocks that are Lizards. There are Reptiles, but are these affected by the perks that list Mammal, Insect, and Lizard?

I question just came up with my group. They just finished their first major quest and have some money to spend. One of the PCs wants to add the “braced” property to raider armor they looted, as they have access to the town they saved’s workstations.I am not sure how to rule for this property. Is it +2 for all resistances against melee in all locations, or just in that arm? It seems way to powerful to grant that in all locations for a basic upgrade to just one location. +2 DR against melee on top of what armor provides makes most melee mobs useless against them unless they are very high level mobs. It seems really powerful to be getting at level 2

It would just be a +2 melee resistance to whichever arm it’s equipped to. So if they equipped it to the left arm, whenever the left arm is hit with a melee attack then the effect of the mod activates. But if they get hit anywhere else they wouldn’t get any benefit of that mod.

Does that mean the one that increases melee damage by 1 would only apply to melee attacks using that arm too? Neither of those abilities say its only for that part specifically. I think it should be, but the rules are not very clear

That’s how I play with my group, because with Unarmed you can still attack with 1 arm if the other has an injury. For most situations the fact that 1 arm has the mod while the other doesn’t isn’t an issue as by default the player will use that arm to get the benefit of extra damage. The only time it would matter is if there is injury on the arm with that mod (unless they mod the other arm the same), then they shouldn’t benefit since in the rules they can no longer use 2-handed weapons, perform any action that uses 2 hands, etc. I also play with effects that are the same do not stack, default to which is higher unless a situation like I mentioned above happens. You can also simplify modding to make it so both arms use the same upgrade mod, but both arms can have different material mods.

that makes sense. I would like an offical ruling on it though. In the video games the braced mod affects your entire defense but it only does so when actively blocking, so I might do that to keep the flavor the same as the game. If they spend the major action on defense they can get the extra 2 DR everywhere. Like you said the offfense one only matters for injuries I will probably just apply it unless that arm is injured

of course one of my players asked a question I didn’t have an immediate answer to. He is playing a MR. Handy but he wanted to play a Mister Orderly. The other versions are well defined? What is a Mister Orderly. ( just to quote from rule book)
Many models exist, and you could come from any
of the Mister Handy, Mister Gutsy, Miss Nanny, or
Mister Orderly series.
Of course, he went and found fallout stats in the Computer game but I am just looking for some guidance.

I feel like they probably mean to add those archetypes in future books, but here is what I would do. Looking on the fallout fandom wiki I found:

"They have three pincers (like the unique Mister Handy REPCONN tour guide) of a blue color instead of the saw blade and the blowtorch of the GAI/RobCo model Mister Handy.

Characteristics

In combat, the Mister Orderly is identical to Mister Gutsy. Their plasma gun functions roughly equivalent to a plasma pistol and use their flamethrower’s function only at close range, alternating between their flamethrower and plasma gun in combat."

So I would just make them use the mister handy stats, but kit them out with 3 pincers instead of the saw blade and blowtorch arms. I would give them a plasma gun that they can weild in one of the pincers but keep in mind ammo would be limited. I would probably start them with that and ammo for it instead of flamer fuel. I might start them with a medkit as well - on second thought no, they can tag medicine if they want that.

As written on pg. 25,

You can attempt one minor action on your turn in combat.

Should that be one minor AND one major, or do you have to pay AP to get the first major action?

It’s the former. You are probably referencing an older pdf (or the printed book, which sadly contains several errors) - in the current version, p. 25 (first paragraph, first sentence) reads: “You can attempt one major and one minor action on your turn in combat.”

(edited for clarity)

Can someone (preferably a designer) clarify mutant helmets for me? For PC mutants they use raider armor, but in the back of the book some NPC mutants (like the brute) have “mutant leg gaurds”, “mutant helmet”, etc. It is my understanding having asked about how mutant armor works before was that mutants were intended to need their own special armor, but it was decided that raider armor would work fine, though they never updated the NPCs. For the most part this works fine, as the mutant leg guards, etc, corelate in terms of how much DR they provide exactly with the appropriate raider armor for that location. Thus I can have their weight, and most importantly cost, be the same as the equivalent raider armor in case the PCs want to sell it. The one piece that does not corelate, however, is the mutant helmet. For some reason there is no raider armor helmet (I think tis the only type of armor that doesn’t have a helmet). So how much does a mutant helmet sell for and how much does it weigh? Can it be modded like raider armor can? The closest helmet to it in the game isn’t a helmet at all but a clothing piece, which is the hard hat, providing 2 physical DR just like the mutant helmet does. Being clothing, however, the hard hat can’t get armor mods. It seems unfair that mutant PCs can never get more than a 2-0-0 DR helmet. Was there intended to be a raider armor helmet? In my game I added one that is 2-0-0 just like the hard hat, gave it a cost of 8 caps, and allowed it to be modded like other raider armor, so the supermutant PC can actually acquire one without having to go find a mutant brute to kill, and so that he can mod it if he wishes, which you can’t do with a hard hat. It would be nice to have this clarified as to the intent though.

Question about Re-Rolls and Complications: Which of these scenario’s is the correct method:

Method 1: You roll a 20 on one of your dice, which generates a complication. You use a re-roll from aiming/equipment, etc… to re-roll that die into something else. For the purposes of resolving the number of successes, you use the re-rolled value, but the complication remains as it is a result of a die having rolled a 20 and is unaffected by the choice to re-roll the die.

Method 2: You roll a 20 on one of your dice, but choose to re-roll the die. No complication is generated because the die that generated it has been re-rolled into a result that would not generate a complication.

I have always considered the re-roll to mean its re-rolled so there is no complication (method 2). That’s the whole benefit to having more luck. It means you have more luck points to re-roll those 20s into not 20s. Nothing in the book suggests that it doesn’t work like that, so it should.

If you use a re-roll to re-roll a die, you ignore the original roll and any complication it would have cause.

1 Like

It’s the second one.
When you’re re-rolling do to aim you’re doing just that, re-rolling as if it didn’t happen. It represents the extra care you took (and the higher difficulty) by allowing you to correct the roll. This is why you have to keep the second roll for good or ill, you give up the first attempt when you choose to roll again.

1 Like

do you have an answer to my question above about mutant helmets?

An older draft of the rules had separate pieces of Super Mutant armour, as noted. They weren’t direct correlations to Raider Armour, but to save space in the book, and because they’re more or less the same aesthetic (and it provided Super Mutant PCs with better options). The Super Mutant profiles weren’t updated. Super Mutant Armour couldn’t be modded either, so there’s no secret set of super mutant armour mods to be found if you somehow obtain a Super Mutant Helmet.

In the game as it currently stands, a hard had is the nearest equivalent item in terms of protection, as you note. That’s it - no extra hidden options. The intent is that Super Mutants are more likely to rely on perks like Barbarian for boosting their DR than messing around with armour mods, as they’ll normally have the stats to benefit from them (and, indeed, all the NPCs are built like this).

thanks Nathan

I did not see it in the most recent PDF update so I thought I’d mention it.

The Armorer perk on p.60 mentions the level requirement increases by 4, but no initial level is specified. This seems inconsistent with the other perks with level increases. Even perks that start at level one specify “Level 1+”.