DUNE RPG system

I don’t know if it is going to be in Dune, but it easily CAN be. I am using a super-light hack of 2d20 I made for my Hellboy/BPRD game. And it is JUST Stat (Three “stats” Fighting, Thinking, & Doing), with the character having Skill Focuses to grant extra successes. But The skill is never added in, it’s just used for Focus if it’s appropriate to the situation.

The nice thing about 2d20 is it’s VERY versitile and modifyable. None of the various systems are tied into the other systems in a way that makes them unable to be taken out (like so many games).

3 Likes

Right now, the only 2d20 I run is Conan, so my idea might be already used in some iterations, but I can see a Stat-only system with Skills being represented as bonus Momentum, kind of like how Tools can be used. (But I like the suggestion above even better!)

Hello,
John Carter says kaor!

1 Like

Yeah. It works if you’re pairing an attribute with 6 others, or if all skills are paired with their default attributes, and you write the TN down on your sheet. The problem comes when the skills are paired with non-default attributes. And if you’ve got a large set of skills, this quickly becomes problematic.

As a long term DM of vampire and exalted I don’t think it is that problematic really

1 Like

Seconded!

The Capharnaum system also works kinda that way.

Adding together two numbers that will never get above 20 is problematic? that’s less math than even the current D&D. less math than Most games of the same crunch level.

1 Like

Yikes. Just occurred to me that subtraction might be needed as well, when counting number of successes over the Difficulty level to determine Momentum gained.

Wouldn’t this now mean that the system has the same amount of math as adding 2 modifiers in a roll-over system? (Although I guess you could visually separate the rolled dice into 2 pools so that no subtraction is necessary—one that shows dice that meets the Difficulty, and another that shows the excess successes)

1 Like

Well it has been confirmed as 2d20 now, which I have used in Star Trek and didn’t have any issues with.

One thing from the ST game I hope is also used in the Dune one is the life paths. They were great for helping start with a Character and not just a collection of stats.

The polygon article also talked about the ability to build your own House Major. Given the fun my group had with the House Major creation system in the Last Unicorn version of the game I am glad this is making a reappearance in the Modiphius Dune. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, the House building rules will make the game click, I hope. Maybe we will be able to use Troupe style play, à la Ars Magica, so that you can play multiple characters at different ranks associated with the House too.

Yikes? Are you being serious? I don’t understand your issue at all, have you played any 2d20? I have a Stat 12 and a skill 3. I roll two d20s and need to roll under 15. I need one success but both dice rolled under. Great, one success one momentum. Done. If one of them rolled under a 3 I also get an extra success, now two momentum… That’s it. this is not hard.

I don’t understand the separating the pools… what does that even mean, you only HAVE one pool.

Oh I have no issues at all. I was just pondering on the supposed reasons as to why roll-under systems work better than roll-overs.

E.g. Difficulty 4. I roll 7 successes. I can either do math, i.e. 7 minus 4 equals… [am dumbfounded as I write this] Yeah you’re right. I have to do math. No other way around it.

Oops, I totally forgot that if modifiers were used (as in a roll-over system), each die would have required its own math. Yikes!

Okay, I take what I said back now. 2d20, seems to be one of the fastest possible roll-under dice pool systems after all. [Although personally, I’d rather have higher attribute stats, so that skill stats don’t have to be added to them. And Momentum would always equal the number of successes regardless of Difficulty level. Now, that would probably be the fastest possible system.]

Hello

If you care for a simpler system, John Carter of Mars does away with Skills, Expertise and Focus values.

I’d like to hear more about your super-light hack. Do you have details posted in a blog somewhere, or could you maybe say more in this thread?

This is the entirety of what I have written, and other than Momentum(Which has not been changed), and Supernatural Abilities(Which I have only written the ones I need), this is the entirety of the system.

2d20 BPRD/Hellboy

1 Like