Another Dune 2d20 Summary

Here is a Dune 2d20 Summary based of the preview. Keep in mind I am new to 2d20 games so I may have completely botched something here. A special thank you to Batro who inspired me to create this after seeing his excellent summary.

Dune 2d20 Preview Summary.pdf (318.6 KB)

Feedback is always welcome

Edit: Minor corrections 03-24-21

5 Likes

This is amazing. Thank you. On the first sheet, under Scenes and Traits, you forgot the ā€œIā€ in Impossible. Quick fix on an awesome quick sheet. Again, thank you.

1 Like

Keen eyes and thank you - I will correct.

1 Like

I just wanted to say thanks for this. Iā€™m still trying to figure out all of the different 2d20 systems and this is great for me to get a handle on the Dune game.

1 Like

Iā€™ve played several of the other 2d20 Modiphus RPGs, specifically quite a bit of CONAN: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of, some of Star Trek Adventures, and a bit of John Carter of Mars. All of these do have some differences in how the 2d20 mechanics work.

So how does DUNE: Adventures in the Imperium differ from these other Modiphus 2d20 games?

First, Dune plays in the Dune universe. :wink:
System-wiseā€¦

• the two sets of numerical attributes of player characters are Skills (just 5 basic areas of competence), a little similar to Star Trek, for example; and Drives. Drive is more unique to the system: 5 general motivations for your character. HOW IMPORTANT is doing something for you, do you do your best? Drives are also accompanied by statements (kind of personal creeds) that will help you decide which drive to apply in a given situation, and whether you are hindered by your personal belief or boosted by it. (I believe in the rule of law - I donā€™t really want to break into this fishy merchantā€™s house, but I have to).
    So, this means that during Dune play, you have to think about your characterā€™s personality and motivations all the time, and the system makes you play it.
  • Conflicts, assets, zones are much more developed and important than in other 2d20 games Iā€™ve seen. IIRC, John Carter also mentions the use of zones in a combat-type situations, but they do not really feel necessary. The Dune conflict-resolution system makes them much more integral. Conflicts may represent very different situations (a personal knife-duel against an enemy noble; a combat skirmish against unfriendly smugglers; an all-out planetary war against Harkonnen; espionage acts of infiltration and information gathering; or intrigue at a dinner party or even during the session of the Landsraad). They all follow the same rules of creating abstract (or physical) maps with zones, moving characters or tangible-intangible assets around, and attacking enemy characters and assets.
  • Your personal assets are also fairly important. Not their specific statistics - all assets has only a single Quality, thatā€™s it - but the kinds of assets you have to resolve conflicts. Crysknife, kindjal, personal shield can be assets, but so can be desert survival grear, your favorite 'thopter, a spy, a friendly contact, a greasy trade agreement - anything you can use as leverage in some kind of confrontation.
  • No special D6 dice. Just d20. Tests are simply resolved by how many successes you roll (and may be obviously affected by other factors - a ā€˜raging sandstormā€™ trait in a zone may influence your success, so can your high-quality personal shield asset, your individual talents). But you only roll once, which determines success and results as well.
1 Like

very helpful! Thanks very much!