Determination - is it cumulative?

Hi,

I have some doubts regarding management of Determination points.

Rulebook states that each character starts an adventure with one point of Determination.

1. As I understand, if you spend Determination point on one session, it will be replenished at start of another session.
  2. What about extra Determination points, received by challenging the Values? Are they lost if not spent until session ends?
  3. Is there a way to cumulate more than 1 Determination point, other than using Values?

Top of page 87: Player Characters begin each session with a single point of Determination, and no character can have more than three points of Determination at any time. Using and gaining Determination is tied to a character’s Values, and to the Directives in play during a mission.

3 Likes

ok, then I should reset any surplus to default 1 on the beginning of each session.

I wanted to make sure that I read this correctly, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Modiphius-Jim failed to answer your question, but I am sure he will correct my answer, LOL. Our original understanding was that Determination points cannot be lost until spent, so each character gains a Determination at the start of each adventure session, and can retain up to three.

Erosthenes, no. Reread the quote.

Here it is again:

Player Characters begin each session with a single point
of Determination, and no character can have more than
three points of Determination at any time. Using and gaining
Determination is tied to a character’s Values, and to the
Directives in play during a mission.

key wording: “begin each session with a single point”
Not gains. Not “at least” either.

Each session, set current to 1. Not each adventure, either, but each session.

Page 87 is very specific in its wording.

2 Likes

I missed the part about ‘session’, not ‘adventure’. I guess I have been doing it wrong.

I have to ask: So if I ad DM offer one of my players one Determitation to activate one of his Values as a Complication, and he do not use this determination in the Session, he loses it at the end and starts the next Session with only one Determination?

Page 87 contains pretty much all you’ll need. I’ll clarify further in response to your questions.

1. As I understand, if you spend Determination point on one session, it will be replenished at start of another session.
  1. You get one point of Determination at the beginning of each session. If you spend all your Determination in a session, you’re still getting one point to start the next session with. If you spend more than one Determination in one session, you’re still starting the next session with one point. Spend 'em or lose 'em. It probably would have helped if there was a statement along the lines of “Determination points do not carry over from session to session” somewhere in the book. I’ll note that for future reference if we decide to make a second edition someday.
  1. What about extra Determination points, received by challenging the Values? Are they lost if not spent until session ends?
  1. The intent of the rules is that if you’re challenging a Value, you’re receiving a point of Determination to spend immediately (p. 87-88). Challenging a Value is tied to some task ( Once during a mission, if a character has a Value which could affect a Task or situation negatively, they may challenge that Value.) so it’s not saved for later–it’s spent immediately upon challenging the Value.
  1. Is there a way to cumulate more than 1 Determination point, other than using Values?
  1. Sort of. See page 87, right column:

" If the character is in a situation where one of their Values would make the situation more complicated or more difficult, the Gamemaster may offer the Player one Determination in exchange for suffering a Complication"

In this case, there may not be a Task associated with this; it might be a roleplaying scene where a Value might come into play, but not be tied to a die roll as such. The example text in the core is a good one. Worf makes a choice that has nothing to do with a die roll, and the Romulan dies because of that choice. Worf’s Player now has an additional Determination point to spend during the session.

One possible other way to gain back a point of Determination is to be a Veteran officer (p. 118):

Whenever the character spends a point of Determination, roll 1 . If an Effect is rolled, immediately regain that spent point of Determination. The character has a rank of at least Lieutenant Commander.

The only other way to gain a Determination point, or more specifically the effects of spending one, is to save a Milestone and then spend it in a subsequent adventure (p. 139).

At any point during any subsequent adventure, the Player may call back to that saved Milestone and the adventure it came from. The Player describes how a memory of, or lesson from, that adventure relates to the current situation. If the Gamemaster approves, then the Player gains the effects of a point of Determination, as if they had used a Value or Directive in a positive fashion. After this has been resolved, cross out the saved Milestone — each saved Milestone may only be used once.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Right, they’d lose it. Because “Player Characters begin each session with a single point of Determination”.

That’s RAW (rules as written), anyway. If you don’t like that rule, change it. Maybe change ‘session’ to ‘adventure’ if your adventures take more than one session to complete, or maybe just allow Players to carry over up to 3 Determination from session to session. Each Gamemaster and group can take the ruleset and do what they want with it. We’re not gonna send Section 2d20 officers to your house and force you to play a specific way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I strongly advocate houseruling to “Begin each adventure with a single point of determination.” Especially if using asynchronous play modes (PBP, PBEM) where session is a non-sequitur.

LOL, apologies, I did not get a chance to finish my previous statement, to whit: But we realized we were playing it wrong. One point of Determination at the beginning of each adventure/session, but you may earn more during the adventure/session up to a limit of three.

Perhaps I missed something, today has been a bad day…but - do you consider “an adventure” to be an evenings play or the end of a story arc?

Here’s how it’s worked for my group on and off for over 20 years:

Adventure or mission or episode = a complete story that has a discrete beginning, middle, and end. May take more than one game session to complete.

Session = a discrete period of gameplay where my group gets together. Usually 3-5 hours in one evening.

Story arc = several episodes or sessions that comprise one big storyline.

Campaign = a large collection of episodes or adventures, all with the same ship and group of Main Characters.

2 Likes

A story arc of complexity comparable to 1 episode, usually also comprising a single mission assignment.

If I had thought it a session, I wouldn’t have said what I said; no houserule would be suggested.

I’d certainly go with the “per adventure/mission” option, because our sessions are a max of around 2 hours (evenings at a club), and missions usually run over about 3 sessions.

If I was running a more normal 4-5 hour session, then the “per session” approach makes more sense!

Thanks! I agree with this.