Saving Milestones

Basically: Where has saving Milestones gone?

In the un-revised Core Rulebook, one could save Milestones and relate to them at dramatically appropriate moments (thanks to one Jason Carl for teaching me said phrase :rofl:) to get the effect of a point of determination (cf. p. 139).

With the revision of the rules in the Klingon Corebook, this is no longer the case. Relating the current to past adventures is now an integral part of character development (and itā€™s so greatā€¦!), but I miss the possibility to save the milestone a little bit.

Why has this been taken out? And what would be a good alternative? Maybe banking Glory/Acclaim of the reputation system for use as determination in the next (and only the next) adventure?

1 Like

You could just award a point of determination in the moment? ā€œIā€™d like to apply this value, referencing back to this adventure when I also used itā€¦ā€, ā€œok great, take a point of determination and mark off that you can apply a milestone at the end of the adventure.ā€

Determination points vanish at the end of an adventure. The effect of saving milestones was meant to be for a subsequent adventure (as is the whole concept of character advancement).

I donā€™t think it makes sense in the new rules to save Milestones. Remember that here is different terminology now:

• In the old rules, basically everything was called a ā€œMilestoneā€, even the ones that only allow ā€œlateralā€ changes.
  • In the new rules, a ā€œMilestoneā€ always gives your character more ā€œpowerā€, i.e. increases an Attribute, Discipline, or gains a Focus or a Talent. So trading this for a point of Determination seems not worth it.

So if you want to bring back the old rule, a character would have to forgo an adjustment after using a Value (either positively or negatively). Personally, Iā€™m not a huge fan of that since using a Value negatively already gains you Determination and using it positively spends Determination (which you would then get back). Also, with the new advancement rules, I fear that this will be too much bookkeeping for the players. That said, if you prefer it that way it shouldnā€™t be gamebreaking.

I also donā€™t see anything wrong with letting players save their Determination or spending like 3 Acclaim to let them start the next adventure with an extra point of Determination.

1 Like

You donā€™t actually lose anything, if Iā€™m reading the rules correctly.

In the core book, you got a normal milestone first, which allowed switching up some stats. You could save it, and get determination later. In the KDF book, you have your log entries which allow the same switching up of stats. However, instead of deciding whether to use the options OR save it, you always get a determination from the KDF second tier of advancement, which actually requires calling back to the log entry (and replaces the player-voted ā€˜spotlight milestonesā€™).

So in both cases, you are first doing something story-relevant in a mission/adventure. When that item is referenced in a later mission, you get a point of Determination. In the Core rules, it required ā€œsavingā€ that first item, whereas in the KDF the determination grant for a callback just happens automatically.