Critical damage and injuries

Sorry guys if that question has already been asked but I’m mastering my first session tomorrow and I can’t find any answers :

When a character gets 5+ damage on, let’s say, torso he gets also an injury on that location. Right. Now, next turn, again critical hit on torso. What do we do ?

• The effect of the injury doesn’t seem to be cumulative but maybe we can count the total injuries on that location, so in this case : 2. The medic will have to treat the torso 2 times (even if the effects are only for 1 injuriy, which are +2CD at the end of each of his turn)
  • That location is already injured, so ignore the second injury.
  • Move the second injury to another body location ?

What would you do in that situation ?
Thanks guys !

1 Like

I must say I was also searching for the clarification on these.
With how the things are worded in the last edition it looks like you can have unlimited numbers of injuries on one body part. The difficulty to heal grows with each injury (now, I am not sure injuries in total or just the amount of injuries on that body part).
There were two stages of wounds in closed BETA but the new book seems to remove that.
Now it looks like there is just a single effect of an injury but the number of injuries on the same location increases the healing difficulty.

• I don’t think ignoring subsequent injuries is a way to go.
  • I don’t think moving second injury to a different body part is valid at this point since you can suffer 5 points of damage (1 injury) but then also get to 0 HP (second injury and it doesn’t say you should reroll the location). Actually rolling location comes before you calculate if there is an injury after all.

So, I would either stick to the first option (as in the latest book)
or
maybe stay with BETA where you can have 2 injury states ( Woun­ded and Crippled)

2 Likes

The way I’ve been doing it.

Suffering the first injury in an area has the listed effect. Subsequent injuries to the same location are noted for purposes of healing difficulty but don’t have the effect listed. This stops called shots to the head from stun locking an enemy and characters from bleeding out from 2+ chest injuries.

3 Likes

This is how I do it. No multiple effects after the first one, however, I do like to reward concentrated fire so I might describe how limbs are shot off or a hole shows the other side of a guy’s chest. I’ve also employed taking limbs off on my party if they find themselves in bad situations and taken multiple crtical hits.

The stun locking happened last session and it was super annoying so I’m all for using the rules you have suggested here.

To be fair, stun lock can still happen with the Stun Quality (which is brutal because you only need one effect to take away an entire turn).

You still can’t be stunned more than once per turn (once you’ve lost your actions for that turn, you can’t lose more), and it’s only a ‘soft’ stun because you can still buy additional actions with AP to act on a turn when you’re stunned.

1 Like

Yup, but there’s no Immune to Stun for bad guys. So all it takes for even something like a Behemoth is for one person with a Gun Bash to roll a single effect and it locks down the enemy. GM AP are pretty low unlike threat in other games and if you’re spending 3 to get a single minor and a single major action that pretty much empties the pool.

I had this happen in a game where the Super Mutant melee guy just rifle bashed a Legendary Mirelurk, inflicting stun each round while the rest of the party sniped it from a distance. With 4 GM AP being able to buy extra actions doesn’t go very far.

I may have to house rule something around Stun because of it’s effectiveness it’s now their go to move every combat and anything that becomes rote in combat is generally an indication of a problem.

1 Like

Off the top of my head, a limiter might be to use the target’s END (or Body, for creatures) to reduce the effect of Stun:
END 6 or less: no effect
END 7-8: Stun requires 2+ Effects to affect the character
END 9-10: Stun requires 3+ Effects to affect the character
END 11+: Stun requires 4+ Effects to affect the character

Doesn’t make anyone immune, but does make them more resistant. Maybe also give a similar bonus to Big creatures - it takes an extra Effect for Stun to work on them…

This isn’t official, and hasn’t been tested, but it might suit your purposes.

8 Likes

That’s along the lines of what I was looking at so that’s encouraging. Using END in a table similar to the Melee damage table.

In my game, I’ve ruled that the Stun Effect only counts if Hit Point loss has occurred. But even that means that a super mutant with a high STR and Big Leagues who is doing Gun Bash at 6 dice Vicious damage can reliably Stun anything with a physical DR of 6 or less. A decked-out Power Fist can put most things to sleep and keep them there. I’m considering adding a Saving Throw-style END+Survival Test in between the hit and the Stun, which I already have for Injuries.

Sorry, a bit off topic, I was hoping to find someone interested in modding an existing Foundry world setting like Fallout for John Carter? Any interest, with some help I’d be up for working on it.

This is completely off topic and a total necrothread. I would recommend starting a new topic for this and elaborating more. I really don’t even know what you are asking for, but please elaborate more in a new topic.

2 Likes