Continuing Mission Wishlist

Power, shields and actions are definitely the main things I would reckon need to be tracked in combat that aren’t static values you can refer to off a stat block in the books.

Tracking which NPC vessel has had how many turns is definitely an issue in any fight with more than 1…

In play, I put stacks of wooden tiles next to the ship figurines to indicate number of actions remaining. Cardboard tiles or Scrabble tiles can work.

Using a regular D4, D6 or D8 (if you have plenty of them) on/next to the ship sheet for the enemies for each one could also work as a counter for remaining actions. That is what I plan to use. My group also has gem-like bead counters of varying colors. I plan to use those next to character names to indicate if they have actions, and also to represent determination.

I often need to track the various buffs of a ship:

• Evasive Action
  • Attack Pattern
  • Scan for Weakness
  • Shield Modulation

I use tokens from Star Trek Attack Wing for that.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t use minis due to carrying capacity - at most I use flat paper counters. Otherwise, a good idea, as is SSiron’s.

One question, do you run into problems remembering which one’s on their second shot? Asking as someone suffering from middle-aged brain…

I haven’t actually GMed yet, but with my suggestion, if using gem-like bead counters, you write down the names on a paper (or elsewhere) and put one counter for the players, and a number of counters next to each NPC ship, and then take one away for whoever just acted. Or combine both methods (counters for players, dice for npcs) and just lower the number for each NPC once you take their action.

I plan on using the combo method myself (counters for players, dice for NPC ships), and I don’t have minis for any of the ships.

Hmm, I’m not worried about the players (I trust them to handle that), but this could work. It’s a simple approach, but that could be a lot of counters (and or space)! It would certainly cut down on the erasing and rewriting.

We already use glass beads for the shields and power on the PC vessel so that the sheet gets minimal scribbling…

I think I’ll be running the LC convoy scenario next, so I shall give this a try and see how I get on - thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good luck with the scenario. Here’s our Convoy SE-119 supplementary materials which will help simplify the fight. You can write on the back of each hex-coaster to track them.

I’m releasing a couple of ship combat resources on Sunday as well.

Thanks! I saw the original posts on CM. While I like the idea (especially with the new status trackers), I don’t use miniatures, so I’m afraid I’ve largely ignored it.

Also, we play around a large table and placing all the fixed info on the counter would make it almost inaccessible to me :frowning: I’m old enough that I can’t keep standing up and reaching over! I prefer to have it at hand next to where I sit.

Musing: the centre of the design looks rather busy, but I wonder how easy it would be to take a lot of it out and use the basic concept as a more visual representation.

I shall have to ponder this :slight_smile:

Thread necromancy!

A search function would be enormously useful.

There is one, but depending on the browser you are using, it may seem hard to find (especially on mobile). To get to it fast on mobile: open any article, and scroll to the bottom. It’s there.

For browsers, if you widen the screen enough, it will appear on the right hand side.