Bonus Damage (DOOM) Limitations

The PC can always trying to offset doom-accruing, by using Fortune, which is gonna replenish automagickally anyways.

Just wanted to say, Just donā€™t let the players use Doom to boost damage, only momentum. Okay Carry on everyone.

It becomes real when the squads starts attacking with 9d20 for their attack rolls. Even with crappy stats they start to hit more than they miss.

Players throwing essentially unlimited doom to the GM simply make this more difficult for themselves in the long run.

Add a +1 or 2 difficulty to the parry to that 9d20 and not only is the NPC group very very likely to hit, but that NPC groups it likely to hit with momentum and suddenly the PCs armor isnā€™t going to count for squat.

In 2 years of playing this my players are EXTREMELY stingy with using doom.

I will readily admit that having no actual play time invested in this system yet I could be completely off base. I have blundered through several practice combats however and the availability of any number of perks by simply committing to the GMā€™s Doom pool seems an extremely attractive temptation. I find that as GM I am always holding back to avoid simply slaughtering the characters through a liberal expenditure of the Doom pool which seems to always be full.

Ah! There it is. I have been trying to find the list of what can and cannot be used as an immediate spend. I missed the I in the spends. Thank you very much!

Such a reference sheet would be invaluable. An all in one list of what generated momentum, saved momentum, fortune, added doom and spent doom can be used for.

Greetings

The GM screen contains such lore, to the best of my knowledge roll.

Sorry, Im looking at it. It has a few options listed but not in any great detail. It certainly doesnt mention what players can do by adding Doom to the Doom pool, other than its just like Momentum, which we have already established in some instancesā€¦ its not.

Itā€™s not just like momentum. Lets just drop that analogy.

Some momentum spends can be used independent of a test success aka Immediate. I can spend momentum to buy extra dice for my skill test without having been successful in a test. This is an immediate spend. It can be spent immediately without a successful test. I can only pull momentum from the pool as I have no personal momentum.

Other momentum spends require a successful skill test to be used, such as most of the spends from the table on page 118. Ie I canā€™t buy extra damage unless my attack is successful. I can use either pool momentum or personal momentum from the test.

Doom can be substituted for an immediate spend.

So if the spend doesnt say ā€œImmediateā€ or have a ā€œIā€ next to it, doom can not be used for it.

1 Like

That is a fact. One problem that I have seen people running into with players is them treating doom like it IS just like momentum. It isnā€™t just another resource for them to use whenever they want. Using doom has gravity that momentum does not. There are some usages where it is necessary for players to use it but overall making it a resource they can tap into whenever they want cheapens it a little. Wellā€¦ until the GM drops 8 of that doom in an encounter that scares the hell out of them and/or kills one or more of them.

2 Likes

Well, R, for details you need the RAW, - however, you wanted a list, right? To the best of my knowledge, the screen includes all instances mentioned in the RAW, with a few exceptions.

The screen does not list what momentum spends can be substituted with Doom. That list would be extremely helpful.

Itā€™s easy to create your own list based on the tables in the book. If the spend has an ā€œIā€ for cost it means itā€™s an Immediate Spend which can be bought with Doom, if it doesnā€™t it cant be spent with Doom.

2 Likes

Ok , from what I can see then only ā€œCreate Opportunityā€ and ā€œCreate Obstacleā€ may be paid for by adding Doom instead of momentum. All other actions and adjustments to rolls and attacks require actual Momentum, either just generated or available from the player pool. Also the players must use Doom in order for a character to perform a Reaction action.

Is that about right? I dont see another action categorized as ā€œImmediateā€ anywhere. (Although sadly the Momentum Spends chart in the back of the book and in the GM screen dont include this information) The chart has an ā€œIā€ next to the Second Wind option but its not mentioned in the rules anywhere as an Immediate Action.

If thats correct then I feel a bit silly. Two instances (maybe three with Reactions) dont make much of a list. Ive been reading and playing under a very inaccurate perception that Doom was more widely available as a tool for players apparently.

Second Wind is an Immediate spend. Its has the ā€œIā€ for cost.

All the ā€œIsā€ in that or any other table are ā€œimmediateā€ momentum spends, following those rules.

The ā€œIsā€ have it!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

HtH

1 Like

This is a direct quote from page 118.

ā€œIn the ā€œCostā€ column, a Momentum spend noted with
an ā€œRā€ is Repeatable. A Momentum spend noted with an
ā€œIā€ is Immediate. If neither note is present, the Momentum
spend may only be used once per round, at most.ā€

And from page 102.
ā€œSome Momentum spends are not tied to a specific test and
can be used freely as soon as they are required, spending
points directly from the groupā€™s Momentum pool rather
than waiting for a successful skill test.ā€

ā€œImmediate Momentum spends can also be paid for
with Doom, which will be described in depth later. A
single point of Doom paid to the gamemaster provides
the same benefits as a single point of Momentum spent.
When paying for an Immediate Momentum spend, the
cost can be split: paid partly in Momentum and partly in
Doom, if the player desires.ā€

1 Like

My tables have only one ā€œiā€ on them. This on Second Wind. Create opportunity and create obstacle arent even listed there.

The table is a list of spends for use by a character generating 1 or more points of momentum in combat (Page 118) (With the exception of Second Wind, which is noted as Immediate, I suspect it is included in the table due to its relation to combat and damage. As an immediate spend players can recover Vigor/Resolve with doom)

Create Opportunity and Create Obstacle are used before a skill check, before any momentum has a chance to be generated and are as such, ā€œImmediateā€. I suspect they are not in the table like Second Wind, because they are not specifically combat related spends. ie I can use them both for any number of other skill checks.

Step 1: GM assigns a skill check.
Step 2: Player determines the number of dice to add on to the roll via Create Opportunity using either pool momentum or Doom or some combination (Because it is an Immediate spend)
Step 3: Player rolls and determines success/failure and momentum.
Step 4: Player applies momentum+stored momentum to make the action more epic.
Step 4a: In combat use the action scene spends
Step 4b: Out of combat use spends like: Increase Scope, Obtain Information, Improve quality, Reduce time (or whatever you and the players decide is cool and within the scope of the momentum spent)
Step 5: Store any unspent momentum into the group pool.

Hiyas
Iā€™m AFTBRN: thereā€™s another table, that also shows immediate momentum instances, called Momentum Use Examples, or something akin to that.