Age of Conan book errata?

I just did the pre-order and was looking through the PDF. I noticed that there is some reference to Kambuja - which is fine if we’re talking about this world, but I’ve always seen the Hyborian kingdom spelled with an L, as in Kambulja.

I feel Kambuja is OK…by the way there are a few more objective typos:

PAGE 37

• Momentum spends tables have wrong titles (Touch of Mitra instead of Touch of Healing and Snakes or Set instead of Venom Strike),

Page 36-37: Quicksand has no Momentum spends table

Page 34: Demonic forms seems to start mentionining a rule (“…Suffering one or more Traumas in this form…”) but it does not finish it (as we do not know what happens, in mechanics terms, if one or more traumas are suffered).

page 37, upper, left (the final part of Shamanic Rules text).

“…+1 armor or Courage”…" I feel this should be “+1 armor AND Courage”
See the last momentum spend in the table for comparison.

SORRY to re-surrect an old thread, but I feel I have to paste here the same text I’m publishing elsewhere, in the hope that maybe somebody at Modiphius will notice it.

In late March a pdf copy of the Age of Conan sourcebook was given to us, the original backers.

I really loved it. Even considering many things which I disliked in this Conan rpg line, I really loved this book, as it felt like something refreshingly new.

There were typos, off course.

I sent an email to Modiphius about one error. At the time I did not made a complete scan of that book (as I’m just a 2d20 gamer, it’s not my job), and I hoped for the best.

I guess other backers did the same and sent other emails.

There was even a thread on the Modiphius forums about typos in Age of Conan book. This means that Modiphius had the “Heads-up” from backers/customers before the printing.

During the summer I got the ticket for buying my printed copy and I happily ordered it. After all we did not have problems with Modiphius last two Conan books (Waves Stained Crimson and Shadow of the Sorcerer).

Once the printed book got to me, it was clear that nobody in Modiphius cared checking those errors.

Even the title on the book’ spine was too small compared to other books in the series.

Let be honest: I really do not care about spelling typos on fluff, aesthetic errors, or similar things.

I can live with those, and I’ve done similar things in my own job.

HOWEVERM the number of “see page X X X ” remaining in the printed version clearly scream only one thing: nobody did proper final proofreading, they just wanted to print this stuff as soon as possible.

FURTHERMORE, what I really find frustrating are errors in the mechanics. Especially since, without the errata, those mechanics become useless, or the GM may use them without realizing how faulty they are.

I buy these books also to have cool mechanics, but I want to use them!

This is (almost) as bad as it was in the first printing of Book of Skelos, which is saying a lot (I know Modiphius changed something in the last PDF of that book….but we, old backers, still do not have an errata list telling us what is wrong in our printed books).

By the way, going back to the Age of Conan book, this is only a brief list of what I found in the hope that, sooner or later, somebody at Modiphius will fix the problems in the next printing AND WILL PUBLISH an official errata list for the poor dumb backers who, like me, bought the printed version too early.

Many ARCHETYPES do not respect the basic structure of archetypes as seen in previous Conan books.

MORE PROBLEMATIC:

p.13. Bear Shaman.

• Career skill (sorcery) and talent (Force of Presence) do not match, and this is a problem since Persuade is not even among mandatory skills.

• Too many mandatory skills (5 instead of 4).

p.14. Assassin (AOC).

• Too many mandatory skills (7!!! instead of 4).

• Too many elective skills to choose from (4 instead of 3).

p.16. Guardian.

• Career skill (melee) and talent (Strong Back) do not match, and this is a problem since Athletics is not even among mandatory skills but only among elective (= you can get the talent without the prerequisite!).

• Too many elective skills to choose from ( 5 instead of 3).

p.16 Captain.

• Career skill (Observation) and talent (Captain) do not match. Luckily Command is among Mandatory skills.

• Too many mandatory skills (5 instead of 4).

LESS PROBLEMATIC:

p.10. Necromancer.

• Career skill (sorcery) and talent (scribe) do not match but, since Lore is a mandatory skill, it can maybe work. Description seems to imply that this archetype has no patron (this is maybe why they do not have that talent), nonetheless in terms of Conan 2d20 mechanics it does not explain how this mage can get spells without patrons.

P. 11. Herald of Xotli.

• Career skill (sorcery) and talent (No Mercy) do not match. Luckily Melee is among Mandatory skills.

• Too many elective skills to choose from (5 instead of 3).

P. 12. Priest of Mitra.

P. 14. Barbarian (AOC)

• Career skill (Melee) and talent (Strong Back) do not match. Luckily Athletics is among Mandatory skills.

p.17, Dark Templar.

• Career skill (sorcery) and talent (scribe) do not match but, since Lore is a mandatory skill, it can maybe work. However….why a “soldier” should have a sorcery skill as career while combat skills (melee, ranged) are only elective?

SORCERY:

• P. 34: Demonic forms seems to start mentioning a rule (“…Suffering one or more Traumas in this form…”) but it does not finish it (as we do not know what happens, in mechanics terms, if one or more traumas are suffered).
  • P. 36, The quicksand spell does not have a Momentum spends table!!!
  • P. 37, two Spells and related momentum spends tables are wrongly named: Touch of Mitra/Touch of Healing; Venom Strike/Snake of Set.
  • P. 37, upper, left (the final part of Shamanic Rules text). “…+1 armor or Courage”…" I feel this should be “+1 armor AND Courage”. See the last momentum spend in the table for comparison.

1 Like

That’s quite poor of them. I am still amazed that there are no official errata for the Conan sourcebooks. A respectable publisher would acknowledge the mistakes, reply to threads like this, and publish an official errata on their website. It feels like Modiphius paid writers to write books and once their job is done, it is done. No sense of duty to the readers.

1 Like

As you know, there’s an errata document for the Core Rules but it’s far from complete (at least IMHO).
Conan Downloads.
On the old days on G+ many more questions were answered by the authors, but it looks like many of those things did not find a place in that document.
And now, that G+ is gone, so much of the “old lore” is gone too…

More problematic is still the Book of Skelos.
It was so error-ridden that so many mechanics were once impossible to play with unless you make some serious changes (Mesmerism, Herbalism). It seems like they later fixed some of those problems in pdf files (and maybe later printings?)…but they never published an official errata document.
So, old backers like me, still have outdated PRINTED books. I do not pretend to have a new printed book (no publisher does that!) but, since they made some corrections on last pdfs, I would have expected a list of what has been changed in order to make life easier for us, the original backers … but again, nothing has been given.
What should I do? Buy a new vopy of Book of Skelos, hoping that it got the right text? This is clearly silly.

1 Like