Writer's Block: scifi campaign

Hi yall…
I have been quitely working on a Master of Orion setting and then… after working the powers and gadgets, when the time came to make story… I got the biggest writer block, can’t do enough that satisfies me… :frowning:

I am difficult as well… I want to avoid the once in a lifetime super powerful alien invasion (because this happens only once), the mysterious ancient race (while MoO technically has ancient artefact, and lost planets it’s a techno-industrialist utopia there wouldn’t be many opportunity for gain there, nor would ancient orion ruin be left alone for long).

One problem I have is, everywhere something interesting happen, it’s bound to have thousands of marines and scientist swarm quite rapidly. Everywhere trouble arise uncount army should be send…

What’s an adventurer to do?
I like D&D spirit where one roam the land in search of loot, but it there is no room for that in the 30th century of MoO…

The couple of tentative thought I had is civil war like Star Wars, or maybe civil war++ like Fallout, but in space, this one might work, with foreign empire scooping in…

But, mm… I would like a technoptimist story… I was thinking to perhaps do like Cyberpunk2077, unrealistic amount of gratuitious street violence, even though all this gratuitous violence irk me as being at odds with the mere existence of a technoindustrialist utopia, perhaps I could try to overlook that fact…

Did you take a look at Infinity 2d20 RPG? - This is quite a techno-optimist society, not “punk” as in Cyberpunk, but cyber, in a positive, science and technology will make life better way.

1 Like

I didn’t… the reviews were mixed… but I did and still is wondering about it… haha :slight_smile:

Oh I see a free starter pack, gotta take a look… plus I stumbled on the author blog once, and I found him appealing! :slight_smile:

I don’t know if I totally agree about the roaming and searching, it just ends up being in a different context and subject to different limitations. There could be an ongoing cold war in this world so moving large groups of soldiers and scientists will cause more trouble than it is worth. Explorers working for large corporations are want to handle things themselves as to retain all the exploitation rights. A new sector of space has opened up for (insert mcguffin reason here) and explorers are needed to stake claims and do the dangerous first stuff before anything ‘official’ can be mobilized. Just because you find some horrible sand worm on a planet doesn’t mean your home gov will care. That’s way over there, leave if you don’t like it. :wink: Last scifi game I ran we had fun with a salvage crew. There may have been space zombies though. Always gotta have me some space zombies!

2 Likes