Which edition is more crunchy? V20 or V5?

I am curious if Vampire the Masquerade 20th. or Vampire the Masquerade 5th. edition is more rules crunchy? I really want to do a more narratively driven campaign.

I believe that V20 is more crunchy. V5 has a lot more streamlined creation and rulesets

1 Like

V5 has a hard rule that states no combat should be more than 3 rounds, period.

That tells ya a lot about its tone.

1 Like

On the whole I’d argue that V20 is a lot more crunchy than V5. Due to the preponderance of material that’s available for V20 trying to ‘optimise’ a character, or to execute the most effective strategy is a lot more complex.

V5 certainly has some crunch, but on the whole its a much more free-flowing game and one that relies more on streamlined and storyteller discretion.

1 Like

V20 is way more crunchy. V5 is more of a narrative toolbox that lets you do anything you wish but is more geared towards story than rules.

1 Like

V20 is more crunchy in terms of the various disciplines and also in terms of the overlying mechanical systems.

V5 breaks a few long standing conventions and tries to model rules to the text of the game. While this may be jarring for older gamers, the system as a whole flows more elegantly and captures particular themes in a more prominent way.

In short, V5 has a better set of rules.

1 Like