Modiphius.com  |  Modiphius Shop

What would be an efficient way to learn the eccentricities of TNG lore?

Hello all,

I’m a fan of The Next Generation but I want to know more than just the events of the episodes when I run this game for my friends. Would anyone know of resources that can show me the details of each race, the events in the canon, and explain some of the technobabble specifics so I can actually immerse my players?

I am aware that there is likely a wiki, but I also know some people prefer this to that and I’d like to hear what sources you trust. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pleasure to meet you all.

There is Memory Alpha, the one and only source for canonic lore, accompanied by Memory Beta and even Memory Gamma for licensed or fanmade works, respectively.

Regarding specific lore for species, there’s a metric ton of material at YouTube to watch, but I cannot direct you to any specific channels. I completely trust Memory Alpha.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the speedy and detailed reply. I’ll start my deep delve with these suggestions.

Memory Alpha isn’t perfect, but it’s pretty good.

For all the technobabble you could want, I’d suggest getting a copy of the TNG Technical Manual and the DS9 Technical Manual (if you can find a copy). The former is still (STILL!) in print and is a wealth of information.

2 Likes

Oh wow I did not know something like this existed. Crazy that it’s still in print. I’m going to pick this up next week. Thanks so much for the suggestion! :vulcan_salute:

My primary ‘series’ is set at the Academy at the moment, so I’ve had to go in pretty deep with my research. The previously mentioned resources are excellent (and the TNG tech manual in particular is one of my favourite things), but you might find some of the following of interest too:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ - long-running fansite which focuses (amongst others) on starships and technology. They have a lot of articles that delve into what is seen on screen to extract information, such as a discussion of the accurate locations of Starfleet’s facilities in San Francisco.

http://www.st-minutiae.com/index.html - Useful resources and interesting theorisation.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php - especially notable for its collection of blueprints and schematics

http://www.startrekmap.com/ - an interactive zoomable, searchable starmap! You’ll need to double click on the little squares to get down to sector resolution.

1 Like

Sadly many fan sites (including those mentioned above) are not objective. It is always a weird mix of canon and fanon material. And it is always assumed that things that look different in different shows or movies are different even when they are supposed to be the same.
In my opinion Memory Alpha is the only site on which you will not stumble across fanon material, although it is not without mistakes.

1 Like

https://www.startrek.com/database

Also not without its flaws, but…

1 Like

Luckily I’m not after perfection. I’m just looking to be true to my player’s fandom. I really do appreciate each comment on this thread! Thank you for the reply.

Wow these are fantastic resources. The starmap in particular interests me. Thank you so very much for this!

1 Like

Memory Alpha is great. I use it frequently to learn more about anything I see on the shows and movies, or read about, or see in Star Trek Online. I use Beta hesitantly; mostly if I want to add details to something and don’t want to completely make it up myself. I’ve learned a ton about Trek this way and I haven’t been a Trekkie except in maybe the past year, but now I am kind of the encyclopedia for my group.

1 Like

much appreciated! Ive done a little browsing so far there.

I have this. Ignore the Crunch Mechanics parts if you like and just enjoy the long smooth sample of setting fluff. There is a course book, maps of facilities all over the system, the campus and even some easily convertible campus set adventures AND its right in the sweet spot of the timeline for STA. https://www.amazon.com/Starfleet-Academy-Star-Generation-Roleplaying/dp/067104009X

1 Like

I also obtained a copy of that! It’s been a really great resource for me. I did disagree with some of their decisions and ended up designing my own stuff in those cases (e.g. the Academy is clearly in the Horseshoe Bay area north of the golden gate bridge and not on the Presidio) but even in those cases it helped me start thinking about things.

(thanks for linking it to me though! If I hadn’t discovered it by accident before I would be all over that)

According to Memory Alpha Starfleet Academy is located at the Presidio.

According to the reboot movies, yes (see the attribution on Memory Alpha), but I disregard those. In TNG and VOY you can see the Golden Gate in the background in a position that would most likely place it in Marin county with San Francisco in the background. Starfleet Command, however, is likely on the Presidio.

Of course, there are enough contradictions in the placement of Starfleet facilities (this Ex Astris Scientia diagram summarises: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/starfleet_buildings/starfleet-map-san-francsisco.jpg) that you can do pretty much whatever you prefer! But I liked the visual of the bridge in the background and the idea that the Academy would be close to the water.

Starfleet Academy Headquarters are located at the Presidio. But the Academy is large and likely consists of several facilities. The training grounds for example were in Marine Country.

But keep in mind that these are “Hollywood locations”. For me as a German, when I hear “San Francisco”, I automatically assume that the Golden Gate Bridge is always visible in the background from any location.

It’s also possible that they change the location of Starfleet facilities as often as they change uniforms (sometimes as often as every few years).

1 Like

I imagine that there are certain production constraints involved in location shooting: real locations are in the places they are, and while you can hide or change that to an extent (see: every show and movie filmed in Vancouver), more distinctive locales are harder to conceal.

Beyond that, we don’t actually have a precise map of 24th century Earth; we don’t know how, for example, earthquakes and tectonic activity might have shifted the landscape and forced rebuilding (at least until technology developed enough to prevent it), or how population centres have shifted in the post-scarcity economy of Earth under the Federation.

I’d liken it to any previous image of the Moon or Mars seen in Star Trek - very few such images (at least until recently) showed the signs of human habitation, but we know they’ve been populated for a while. There’s a difference between what can be reasonably depicted on screen and what is intended for the setting.

Oh indeed; I tend to… aggressively interpret what we see on screen rather than accept it as a perfect representation, but my dissatisfaction with the LUG academy map sent me on a bit of a deep dive. Mechanically it shouldn’t even matter - we can assume public transport is so good in the 24th Century (especially in one of Earth’s most important cities) that it doesn’t make much of a difference whether you’re on the north or south end of the bridge.

Because my series is set, for the time being, on Earth, I’m actually really interested in what 24th C Earth would be like. What is it actually like to live in a post-scarcity moneyless society? But that, perhaps, is a topic for a different discussion thread.