The Ongoing Creation of a Simplified Character Sheet for my Conventions

I have been working on my simplified convention sheet for new players. The goal is to have it simple with maximum information.

Working on the idea that this is used for a one-shot, I don’t think we need as much information as you would for an ongoing game. I am thinking of also dropping player hit locations for simplicity (which is reflected in the sheet)

Although I am probably not 100% completed with this, I thought I would throw it up and see if anyhow had any thoughts or feedback.

2 Likes

Just having “Target Number” and “Focus” is a good idea. Also, alphabetical skill lists are always a plus for new players so they can find the skill faster. Although you may need to indicate which skill belongs to which attribute, maybe in smaller caps below the skill name.

3 Likes

@Shran From a simple game play perspective I’ve never seen an actual need for associating them beyond simple interest sake.I’m not opposed to it, I just need a reason in regard to play. I actually think I could remove attributes altogether and not actually impact a 4 hour one shot, but that seems wrong some how.

In my more fully formed sheet I have icons next to the skills to link them back

2 Likes

If you receive Wounds or Trauma, you get penalties to certain attributes. It’s important to know what skills are affected by this.

If these are characters fresh out of character creation, you might not need a Focus column. Expertise and Focus is the same for all skills for newly generated characters, so one would be sufficient. Of course that means getting rid of Target Number. It’s a matter of taste I suppose.

2 Likes

I’d rather have Focus and TN, expertise isn’t super important once the TN is calculated. I could possibly add a note to the skills as to which is “Mental” vs “Physical” to track the potential negatives from harms.

I could color code the attributes and skills as physical vs mental and then color code the Wounds and Trauma the same way. Although that would conflict with the red coloring on the non-trained skills which will still be affected by harms.

1 Like

Color coding the mental or physical skills is all you need to do, just one or the other. I made a spreadsheet character sheet that does what you are trying to do.

Yours looks so much better than mine.

Oh, and I only color coded the untrained target numbers, not the whole skill name.

Yet another comment: I’d expand the weapon section to remove all of the abbreviations.
Sword: 6cd, reach 2, Parry (maybe skip reach entirely)

@Toby I actually did just that (more or less), color-coded the Physical attributes vs the Mental attributes to the skill names to the damage track. Left the Skill numbers black and red to denote trained/untrained.

I do concur about the weapons. Trade off between a single line vs abbreviations. I am not sure how I want to rectify it, but I will see what I can come up with.

I’ll make the google doc available once I am all done.

1 Like

I find that for demos and oneshots, players often look at their basic characteristics as a way to get a quick mental image of what the character does (are they strong, are they agile, are they smart?) even if the attributes themselves aren’t really used by themselves during the session.

3 Likes

Makes sense. No plans to remove them either way. I think at the very least they are a touch stone to more familiar systems and ideas.

The newest version below with a modified the weapons section.

3 Likes

Looks much clearer now with the new weapons. Keep in mind though that color-coding information is not very accessible for color blind people.

3 Likes

That is fair commentary I admit to never considering. Given the nature of the project I will give THAT some thought as well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now with physical/mental attributes/skills/harms coded with colors and symbols

Convention%20Characters%20-%20Basic%20Sheet%20-Simple

2 Likes

The color blind comment is well made. I think I will change from Red numbers to shaded cells for untrained skills. I will also consider how to differentiate the Physical skills from the Mental ones.

1 Like

Fortune and Momentum sections are the best :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! Sort of a combination character sheet and quick reference sheet with most common spends and talents, hopefully new players will remember they exist and to use them!

I guarantee! During FreeRPG days I ran Conan and I had part of the GM screen with the momentum spends printed and they used it a lot during play. Being on the sheet is simply great convenience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Exactly. And I’ve found, at conventions, players new to Conan who aren’t used to anything but a pass/fail often forget their talents or what spends without prompting. Hoping to minimize and remind new players of their options. :slight_smile:

1 Like