Star Trek Adventures Online Character Generator

What else is there? Mac? Linux?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Have we thought about Fivver? /s

Don’t get me started. I’m damn serious. Just don’t.

I’m not sure we should.

As far as I understand, the Character Generator is an unofficial online resource that is not endorsed officially by Modiphius, but the private work of @Christoffer. (Please correct me, if I’m wrong.) Actually, I think it’s already at least risky to run such a software, releasing so much of Modiphius’ IP into the public, free of charge. Please don’t get money involved, it makes things worse.

Plus, who would pay the developer found at Fivver (or wherever)? And how would that be made a continuing effort, given that Modiphius still releases stuff that shall be integrated into the generator?

Really. If there’s anyone who should pay for such a piece of software, it’s Modiphius and nobody else. I’m fine if they crowdfund it (I’d probably chip in money), I’m fine if they hire some freelancer to set it up and other freelancers to update it, when it’s time. This is the way business seems to work these days.

But I don’t think the community should risk IP bullsh*t lawsuits for anyone (including some freelancer acquired via Fivver) over some generator we’re not even sure how legal and/or illegal it actually is.

Last bullet point: I’d really like to see some statement from Modiphius to what extent the community might use officially published stuff within such generators. I’ve written a few myself (simple command-line stuff) that I will keep to myself because I have better things to to than to exchange loveletters with the IP law firm in my freetime.

End of rant.

1 Like

Neither do I. You missed the /s. I wasn’t serious.

1 Like

I mistook the /s for a typo. It seems that nowadays ways of written communication elude me. /o\

Because we, of course, know what’s best for you and your characters.

I hate the Soong-type Android!

I prefer my Annabelle-16…

Okay, finally I sat down today and got the source running on my machine. I only needed a few trivial changes (there are some minor quibbles about case-sensitivity that got in my way – Windows is case-insensitive and Mac is not).

I dispensed with trying to figure out Visual Studio – I’m running it from the command line and doing so just required me to get my head around webpack.

I might create a pull request with those changes and additional notes in the README. After that, let’s see what I can do about supporting Klingon goodness.

BC

2 Likes

I think it makes sense to try to do this work in three parts:

1. Update the app to include new species (QuchHa’), Talents, and Source, so that you can create Klingon Starfleet characters (with new talents), look up the Klingon talents, and so forth.
  2. Build out character creation to include the Klingon warrior path (this is the part where we may want to deal with Talents that have a different name in the Klingon Core book)
  3. Use the Klingon character sheet template.

I’ve almost finished (1). I’ll probably submit the pull request today or tomorrow.

UPDATE: Submitted! Now I have to wait for @Christoffer to review and deploy.

BC

2 Likes

Use the Klingon character sheet template.

This could be complicated. It looks like PDF export is implemented via some web service, the source of which isn’t included here.

Hm. Looks like there’s a cap on number of consecutive posts I can make. So I’ll append to here:

Okay. I’m very close to being done this part. Not gonna lie: it’s a pretty massive amount of change/work.

There are a couple of things that are currently out of my control (at least until I deal with point 3). For example, the information about weapons that appear on the final character sheet are hard-coded (or implemented in the service call).

I’ll probably have a pull request later tonight or possibly tomorrow.

BC

As I discussed in another thread, I’ve uploaded a new version of the app to my website.

3 Likes

That is great, thank you. The klingon Commander I just bild, would be a great adversery for Kirk.

There is a Command Tallent “Multi-discipline” from the Command Division Book Page 45, which I can’t find.

I’ve added the talent to the list. Obviously, there should be some logic changes related to that talent, but I’ll give those a whirl at another time.

BC

Thank you very much.

It’s great, I even see you took care of the bug that happens with Attributes over 12. You are doing amazing work.

1 Like

That bug was so vexing. Thanks for noticing!

BC

We’re now in “another time”. If you have the “Multi-Discipline” Talent you can choose two roles on the finishing touches page.

BC

4 Likes

Great, thank you.

The latest update includes new species from the Shakleton Expanse Campaign book.

3 Likes

Wow, your’e fast! Kudos!

1 Like